Well, this was fascinating; I called Crystal!

May B

On 2/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, cruisr said:

choosing new and more interesting ports.

Whenever I hear comments like this, I ask:  Just what "new and more interesting" would you have liked to see?

And secondly, why do you believe those "N&MI" ports would generate sufficient overall interest to justify having them in the itineraries?

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Whenever I hear comments like this, I ask:  Just what "new and more interesting" would you have liked to see?

And secondly, why do you believe those "N&MI" ports would generate sufficient overall interest to justify having them in the itineraries?

Don't ask me.  Crystal has hired Spyros Almpertis as a senior Director.  One of his responsibilities is itinerary planning.  They are paying him big dollars for his expertise in this area - so let's convey to him that we are interested in new -and- more interesting ports.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/12/crystal-cruises-announces-additional-key-appointments-to-senior-leadership-team/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crickette said:

Don't ask me. 

You're the one who wants "new and interesting".  And yet you can't mention a single viable "new" destination.  You pass the buck.

Hypothetical:  You contact him and say that you want your new and interesting ports.  Spyros calls you back and says "Such as?  What do you want?".   What are you going to say?  Or are you just going to sit back and merely grumble that "it's not interesting enough"?

I have a simple rule.  I don't complain unless I can also provide a possible solution.

• Like 3

I'm sure there are destinations (ports) that are fully booked a year or two in advance or with very few available dates.  Certainly, a challenge for a cruise line that is just starting up again and trying to provide people both short term and long term opportunities.  Could also account for a lot of sea days on some trips.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ctjon said:

I'm sure there are destinations (ports) that are fully booked a year or two in advance or with very few available dates.  Certainly, a challenge for a cruise line that is just starting up again and trying to provide people both short term and long term opportunities.  Could also account for a lot of sea days on some trips.

Where they may shine (at start up) and put themselves in a unique position among luxury cruise lines, is to focus on, onboard entertainment, as past Crystal had done. They will need to market this, for cruisers to know, it is still important to the brand. We can't assume anything is similar to original Crystal until we experience first hand or at least... learn through the marketing of the product. The pricing is higher than the original Crystal for a standard cabin and for me... new Crystal so far, has not been detailed enough on what the onboard experience will be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

Where they may shine (at start up) and put themselves in a unique position among luxury cruise lines, is to focus on, onboard entertainment, as past Crystal had done. They will need to market this, for cruisers to know, it is still important to the brand. We can't assume anything is similar to original Crystal until we experience first hand or at least... learn through the marketing of the product. The pricing is higher than the original Crystal for a standard cabin and for me... new Crystal so far, has not been detailed enough on what the onboard experience will be. 

One of the great things that Crystal did, but I don't think other lines did, is to actually post on the webpages who the entertainment, enrichment, and ship's officers, will be.  I hope they bring that back again.  Along with the terrific entertainers & lecturers.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

For a prime example of this, look no further than the 2024 WC. As near as I can tell from the posted itinerary, they are skipping the entire South Island of New Zealand, and are only spending four days in the North Island, two of those in Auckland for what I assume is a segment turn over!

• Like 1

No doubt new Crystal's fares are higher than old Crystal. I don't think it's fare to compare to the fares after Crystal came back when doing just Caribbean, etc. A reasonable comparison to Regent, Seabourn and Silversea is a comparison to what those lines were charging in late 2019, the percentage increase they are charging from then to now and what Crystal's rates were then and then now. Everyone is charging more - has anyone been to the grocery store in the last 6 months? Afraid the new Crystal not serve Portuguese tarts based on the price of eggs - a main ingredient! 🤪

Patty

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

As near as I can tell from the posted itinerary, they are skipping the entire South Island of New Zealand,

Almost correct, but technically not as they are due in Picton on the 13th of March 2024 so they will touch the South Island - but only just. Why they’re not doing Fiordland is a surprise though

50 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Almost correct, but technically not as they are due in Picton on the 13th of March 2024 so they will touch the South Island - but only just. Why they’re not doing Fiordland is a surprise though

I initially thought they might go there on the following sea days, but there are only two of them, and even with that, they are not scheduled into Sydney until 14:00!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

they are not scheduled into Sydney until 14:00!

Arrival time in Sydney will be governed by harbour traffic movements - they won’t be allowed in during rush hour when commuter ferry’s get priority 

Thats why you see early morning and evening departures normally 

I kind of hope for mooring at Athol Buoy like the old days - the harbour views are amazing from there - the tendering not so much 😂😉

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Arrival time in Sydney will be governed by harbour traffic movements - they won’t be allowed in during rush hour when commuter ferry’s get priority 

Thats why you see early morning and evening departures normally 

I kind of hope for mooring at Athol Buoy like the old days - the harbour views are amazing from there - the tendering not so much 😂😉

I am aware of that.

We boarded in 2018 by tender at Athol Buoy from the White Bay Terminal, and when we arrived a day early in Sydney on the 2020 WC, we were tendered in from out near Watson's Bay!! Now THAT was a long tender ride!!!

8 hours ago, Roland4 said:

I am aware of that.

We boarded in 2018 by tender at Athol Buoy from the White Bay Terminal, and when we arrived a day early in Sydney on the 2020 WC, we were tendered in from out near Watson's Bay!! Now THAT was a long tender ride!!!

A beautiful long tender ride!

18 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Fear of the sea snails?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emdee said:

Fear of the sea snails?

True - it’s certainly been a bad year for some cruise ships sailing in NZ waters with bio fouling issues

One would hope this is one of the things they cover off as part of the recommissioning of the ships 

22 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Maybe because of the new Bio security/biofouling requirements ??

I do not know if it is regional.  Giving Regent and Oceania a fit -- missed ports as they were non compliant.

9 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Maybe because of the new Bio security/biofouling requirements ??

I do not know if it is regional.  Giving Regent and Oceania a fit -- missed ports as they were non compliant.

It could certainly be that - it’s cost Regent a fortune in compensation to guests - one cruise a 100% refund to guest while floating around without almost all ports and a second with 50% or so compensation for disruption

As you probably know there were several other lines impacted as well including Princess and Viking so it want just them. Ha is very protective of their environment especially in areas like the Bay of Islands and Fiordland - neither of which are on Serenity’s itinerary 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

It could certainly be that - it’s cost Regent a fortune in compensation to guests - one cruise a 100% refund to guest while floating around without almost all ports and a second with 50% or so compensation for disruption

As you probably know there were several other lines impacted as well including Princess and Viking so it want just them. Ha is very protective of their environment especially in areas like the Bay of Islands and Fiordland - neither of which are on Serenity’s itinerary 

Somebody at NCL and other lines screwed the pooch..  The regulations were very clear and effective 15 June 2022.  Have to have a plan and a full cleaning with 30 days of entering ANZ waters. 

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Somebody at NCL and other lines screwed the pooch..  The regulations were very clear and effective 15 June 2022.  Have to have a plan and a full cleaning with 30 days of entering ANZ waters. 

NZ changed their requirements in 2018 - not 2022

39 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

NZ changed their requirements in 2018 - not 2022

But perhaps they are only now enforcing them. Not only NCLH ships, but also Cunard and Viking Ocean ships have been recently denied port entry because of the biofouling laws.

Could be a communication disconnect between the government and the cruise lines that explains why multiple cruise lines are having these issues only now.

Edited by njhorseman

31 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We are on the Symphony leaving Sydney Jan 3, 2024 and we are making several stops in NZ including the south islands.

Let’s hope Crystal is on top of the situation then - hope they have “clean hulls to NZ specs” on their action list 

• Thanks 1