Half day in Barcelona

snorkle lover

We have never been to Barcelona and will more than likely want to return. Since we arrive in the morning and have to get to our hotel, we only have a half day to have a look around! So much to see in only a few short hours... any suggestions would more than appreciated.

Personally, I’d book a time in advance for the Sagrada Familia. It is one of the most stunning and astonishing buildings I’ve ever seen. The HoHo bus is good as it’s a short whizz round, and Barcelona is compact and the main sites close to each other. If your hotel is close to Gaudi’s La Pedrera, that’s a great alternative to Sagrada Familia; make sure you go up to the roof!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

If you do Sagrada Familia get reservations in advance and KEEP the receipt.

I think you can get reservations for Sagrada Familia two months from visit date.  We purchased guided tickets.  Our guide was excellent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, claranda said:

Personally, I’d book a time in advance for the Sagrada Familia

Seconded! We had a couple of days in Barcelona and an inside visit to the Sagrada Familia was absolutely the highlight. As recommended by others, book a timed entry in advance from the official site, and take your paper ticket with you.

• Like 1

If you don’t want to visit Sagrada Familia this time, you can walk Las Ramblas. Just be very careful for pickpockets. Stop at the market La Boqueria and go all the way down to Columbus statue. The Gothic Quarter is a lovely section not far from Las Ramblas. You get a real feel of Barcelona. 

• Like 3

If you do not go to the Sagrada Familia, I found the Picasso Museum to be well worth a visit.  The market at the foot of Las Ramblas (La Boqueria) is amazing. And if you are a football (soccer) fan, there are tours of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC. 

But bottom line is that I believe Barcelona is worth a 2-3 day visit in and of itself!  

• Like 2

It sounds like you are overnighting in Barcelona before your cruise. For an evening meal I highly recommend this place https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d8003654-Reviews-Gourmet_Sensi-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

It was recommended to us by someone who lives in Barcelona and the food (tapas style) was fabulous. It's off Las Ramblas but not too hard to find but you will probably need to book 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally concur with Sagrada Familia.  For me it was almost heart wrenchingly beautiful. What a testament to the vision of one single man.  In all the places we have visited, it is the most treasured memory and I felt humbled to have the opportunity to see it.  You can always go back to see Las Ramblas someday and if you don’t, I don’t think you will have missed too much.  But to miss Sagrada Familia would be so sad, IMO.  Definitely get a reservation and a guide adds so much.  Let us know what you decide!

Joanie

• Like 5

AAh! Memory is returning about Sagrada Familia.

• Yes, take your TICKET, receipt may not be sufficient; they let us in with only the receipt but we had an extra 15-minute wait (with lot of uncertainty).
  • We took the guided tour. Good, but probably much better with a guide or maybe even by yourself.
  • Take binoculars distance camera lens. - lots to see higher up or afar - magnificent detail
  • Like 1

In the early 90s our family had our first visit to Barcelona.  We were there on a Sunday and hired a cab for the day.  We decided to go to Mass at Sagrada Familia, it is a Catholic Church after all!  The cab  driver  didn't say anything.  So, imagine our clueless tourist surprise when we arrived to discover the church was just an external shell,  not even a roof on it.  Fast forward probably 25 years and after watching a wonderful TV special about the church's progress we went again.  When we walked in, I burst into tears at the beauty everywhere.  Please, DO Not miss the Sagrada Familia!

• Like 3

When we visited Barcelona (2017) we had Amex Concierge book us a driver and guide for the day.   Normally we would have this booked through our TA, but Amex had a better deal.   The guide arranged all our tickets, the driver pulled up and dropped us in front of each stop, while the guide took us around.  Very well coordinated and efficient to see everything in the limited time we had.  I think it was a mercedes sedan they drove us in.   Try Amex to see their options.  

Thank you all for the suggestions for Barcelona in an afternoon.  We are hoping to find a tour that would take us to both Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell picking us up at our hotel and dropping us back. Since this will be our first visit to Barcelona, we are just a bit hesitant relying on cabs and or public transport.