John Heald discusses new Carnival policy on gifts to crew from passengers

Honolulu Blue

In one of his posts today, Brand Ambassador John Heald mentioned a policy from Carnival that recently changed in regards to what the crew can accept from its appreciative passengers.  Here it is:

I do want to address something that many of you asked me yesterday and that concerns gifts for the crew. First of all there is a new guideline for this and it is to please only bring something that is factory sealed and still in the packet or box. Individual candy or cookies etc won’t be able to be taken by the crew I am afraid. This is for their safety.

I can tell you also that the crew love to remember you so if you want to bring them something like a baseball cap, a key ring or something that will remind them of you and the kindness you showed them then that would be marvelous.

(emphasis mine)

This doesn't affect me directly, since these aren't the type of gifts that I give to crew members on vacations.  But I know some of you are affected by this to a greater or lesser degree.  Discuss.  Be nice please.  🙂

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

. First of all there is a new guideline for this and it is to please only bring something that is factory sealed and still in the packet or box. Individual candy or cookies etc won’t be able to be taken by the crew I am afraid. This is for their safety.

I can understand this completely.

I would imagine that something happened, and someone brought a home baked item that had a little weed in it. I would hope that no one brought something that was even worse.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

See to me, I put myself in their shoes. I'd rather have cash than a baseball cap or a pack of oreos. So I give cash.

Same. Now there have been a few bartenders/servers that we really connected with and stay in touch with. When I know we're going to see them again on a cruise, I just reach out to them and ask if there's anything they need. In 2021 when they couldn't get off the ships at all in ports, I was able to send a goodie bag with a friend to deliver to a crew member friend. He was so appreciative, sent me a picture of it when he got it. 

• Like 4

We were on Legend in November 2021 and again in February 2022. We asked for the same waitstaff and were assigned in their area. This would be the only time I would even consider some sort of gift, if I knew that an employee I had interacted with previously would be on a subsequent sailing and then only if we had discussed anything along those lines (i.e. the employee mentioned in passing that they loved Werther's Originals or something like that). Otherwise I show my appreciation with cash.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I would imagine that something happened, and someone brought a home baked item that had a little weed in it. I would hope that no one brought something that was even worse.

I imagined worse - somebody's homemade something-or-other went bad between the packing and the gifting, or someone deliberately spiked the gift with something that's actually harmful for whatever reason.  I wish the world wasn't like this, but the TV and Internet have taught me that there are people out there that would/could/have done such things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Well according to the rules, you're not supposed to bring homemade goods onto the ship in the first place. So this is just a restating of that policy to begin with.

Someone could, in theory, have brought on a package of Oreos (for example), eaten half of them, and then offered the other half to their favorite cabin steward/bartender/other crew member.  This would have been an acceptable gift before; now, they would have to decline it.

• Like 1

Just now, Honolulu Blue said:

Someone could, in theory, have brought on a package of Oreos (for example), eaten half of them, and then offered the other half to their favorite cabin steward/bartender/other crew member.  This would have been an acceptable gift before; now, they would have to decline it.

I would have declined it anyway, that's nasty. People should know better than to offer their leftovers to people they don't know and expect it to be received as a gift.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I would have declined it anyway, that's nasty. People should know better than to offer their leftovers to people they don't know and expect it to be received as a gift.

I did a back-to-back once, and bought a bottle of liquor on the first leg.  I received it the last night of leg one, so I had it in my cabin for all of leg two. I drank about half the bottle over the course of the cruise, but didn’t want to bring the rest home. I asked my cabin steward if he wanted it or if I should pour it down the drain. He said he wanted it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

I did a back-to-back once, and bought a bottle of liquor on the first leg.  I received it the last night of leg one, so I had it in my cabin for all of leg two. I drank about half the bottle over the course of the cruise, but didn’t want to bring the rest home. I asked my cabin steward if he wanted it or if I should pour it down the drain. He said he wanted it.

A bottle of liquor is a little different since you're not digging into it to eat from it like a bag of oreos or what not. But still, I'm not sure I'd offer anything opened to somebody I don't know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

See to me, I put myself in their shoes. I'd rather have cash than a baseball cap or a pack of oreos. So I give cash.

I have also witnessed a crew member gush over a guest that gave personal sundries like tooth paste.  These types of items are not provided by the cruise line and they have to use valuable shore time to go shopping.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rcrabb1513 said:

I have also witnessed a crew member gush over a guest that gave personal sundries like tooth paste.  These types of items are not provided by the cruise line and they have to use valuable shore time to go shopping.

I get it, I see that point for sure. Everyone should do what works for them. I just know I'd rather have cash so that's what I give.

• Like 2

I mean, I get it. I work at a hospital and people want to bring stuff for us all the time. Which we do appreciate, but we are always leery of home made stuff. You just never know what people’s houses look like… so I can only imagine the crew probably feels similar.

im happy to just tip in cash vs. bring a gift. 

• Like 9

Lol;

to the people who say “why would I give a GIFT to someone, on vacation”..think about all the people have 365+ days on carnival cruises…these people are basically seeing cruise ship employees WAY more than their own families…so to THOSE people, cruise ship employees would become their family.

but I agree..I hate giving/getting gifts..CASH IS KING!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I mean, I get it. I work at a hospital and people want to bring stuff for us all the time. Which we do appreciate, but we are always leery of home made stuff. You just never know what people’s houses look like… so I can only imagine the crew probably feels similar.

im happy to just tip in cash vs. bring a gift. 

🎶You can't eat at everyone's house,

No, you can't eat at everyone's house🎶

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I remember when I worked for tips during my college years. If someone had given me a gift I would have been insulted. I was working for money to support myself.  These people are no different. Instead of spending $10 on a useless trinket that is probably headed straight for the trash can anyway, give them that $10 instead. They work for money, not useless gifts and chachkies.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I imagined worse - somebody's homemade something-or-other went bad between the packing and the gifting, or someone deliberately spiked the gift with something that's actually harmful for whatever reason.  I wish the world wasn't like this, but the TV and Internet have taught me that there are people out there that would/could/have done such things.

I can't imagine some stranger handing me homemade food as a gift.  It would go directly to the trash bin.  Even worse if they expected me to taste it in front of them, which I could see a lot of self absorbed people doing.   I fully support this new policy.  

• Like 7

I always have a bowl of individual wrapped candies and mints in our cabin. When we meet the steward I tell them that it will be there and they are welcome to any of it. Most times they have eaten a few every day and once asked if they could take a certain kind to a co-worker. Of course I said yes!  At the end of the cruise I leave all the remaining candy in a baggie, any unused bottled water and their additional tip along with a note saying thank you and to enjoy it share any of it they want to. 

As far as home baked items I have brought some onboard in my carryon in the past when we have some left from our road-trip to the port. I never even considered offering that to the steward for all the reasons mentioned above. 

22 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

I remember when I worked for tips during my college years. If someone had given me a gift I would have been insulted. I was working for money to support myself.  These people are no different. Instead of spending $10 on a useless trinket that is probably headed straight for the trash can anyway, give them that $10 instead. They work for money, not useless gifts and chachkies.

This!!