Haven't cruised since pandemic- Need feedback

depplep

Hi everyone,

We haven't cruised since the pandemic and are considering either a caribbean cruise or New England. We are diamond so we aren't new to cruising and have only been on Royal so we are familiar with their ships.  I'm looking for feedback on what has changed about the experience if anything.  Any covid related restrictions as far as social distancing or capacity restrictions for shows/dining/bars/pool?  We've been doing all inclusives the last 3yrs and would like to get back to cruising but I'm just wondering if you guys feel like it's the same experience as it used to be? Appreciate any comments good or bad.

If you're talking about North American sailings, it's pretty much the same as pre-covid.

However, it seems that all cruise lines are cutting costs, which can affect your comparison - but these things are not covid-related.  Things like tipping amounts have increased, new menus in the MDR, once per day stateroom service, etc.  

Diamond drinks have changed.  Most of us enjoy the change very much.  You will now each receive four vouchers per day.  They can be used for any drink up to $14 at any time of day at almost any bar or restaurant.  Gone are the hour restrictions and very limited alcohol choices for your Diamond drinks.  You are still welcome to go to the D lounge for appetizers and concierge and conversation, though you will need to use your vouchers for drinks orders in the lounge.  Or you can go to the other bars and such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, depplep said:

Hi everyone,

We haven't cruised since the pandemic and are considering either a caribbean cruise or New England. We are diamond so we aren't new to cruising and have only been on Royal so we are familiar with their ships.  I'm looking for feedback on what has changed about the experience if anything.  Any covid related restrictions as far as social distancing or capacity restrictions for shows/dining/bars/pool?  We've been doing all inclusives the last 3yrs and would like to get back to cruising but I'm just wondering if you guys feel like it's the same experience as it used to be? Appreciate any comments good or bad.

Things have been normal for quite some time.  

It feels as if cruising is back to the pre-covid days. Everyone seems louder, more excited and just happy to have a great time! I've seen very little masking on the ships anymore. Have been back cruising now for over a year and have taken many cruises since the start up. Lots of masks in the beginning. As was stated above, they do seem short on staff. No more social distancing required, the elevators are back to packed! and no restrictions at the shows/pools/bars.

Room service, with the exception of continental breakfast, is no longer free.  There is a service charge and gratuity if you order hot breakfast, lunch, snaks, dinner, etc. 

The menu's have changed and appear to still be changing.  There are said to be fewer selections on the menu and you can only order one entree at a time.  There have been reports here on CC of this happening more and more so read reviews/comments posted after January 1st when this started going into effect. 

That said, we have a very enjoyable B2B on Quantum last August/September and will be boarding Harmony next week for 8-days of relaxation and warmer weather. 

During Covid the Chair Hogs went to Training camps for 3 week sessions. They  Trained to wake up early, properly place flip flops on well placed towels, bring extra novels as props for seat placement...

They came back better and stronger then before the Pandemic.

My favorite Chair Hog post Covid training camp exercise is a classic.

Its the new grab an extra plate of French Toast from the Windjammer for the next morning chair hog Mission.  Just place your decoy plate at the end of the chair with your fake novel on a well placed towel (maple syrup is optional) of course

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

During Covid the Chair Hogs went to Training camps for 3 week sessions. They  Trained to wake up early, properly place flip flops on well placed towels, bring extra novels as props for seat placement...

They came back better and stronger then before the Pandemic.

My favorite Chair Hog post Covid training camp exercise is a classic.

Its the new grab an extra plate of French Toast from the Windjammer for the next morning chair hog Mission.  Just place your decoy plate at the end of the chair with your fake novel on a well placed towel (maple syrup is optional) of course

Well placed used tissues usually work well too.

• Haha 2

Thanks, good feedback. Uggh about the chair hogs. That's one good thing about doing the resort vacation. I feel better about reserving a cruise knowing that it's pretty much the same. Thanks! Now I just need to decide on which one.🤔

8 hours ago, depplep said:

Hi everyone,

It has definitely gone down hill since the restart.

It seems Royal is trying to get back to profitability.  On the sister cruise line I heard offices mention that they have not been able to do things they would like to do because of funding issues.

On Royal at least this has resulted in lower quality food.  I would expect more nickel and diming.

Just got off Anthem (1/24 Cruise). Had a great time but bring masks! Very hard working crew, but not enough of them: 1. Food was mediocre, 2. 25% of Purell stations empty, 3. Full ship, 4. Two out of 3 of us tested positive for COVID. 

On 2/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, 1245 said:

Just got off Anthem (1/24 Cruise). Had a great time but bring masks! Very hard working crew, but not enough of them: 1. Food was mediocre, 2. 25% of Purell stations empty, 3. Full ship, 4. Two out of 3 of us tested positive for COVID. 

Why masks, are they mandatory?  We just booked a cruise on a Royal ship and were assured they are not required.  We will cancel if we have to wear a mask.

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Why masks, are they mandatory?  We just booked a cruise on a Royal ship and were assured they are not required.  We will cancel if we have to wear a mask.

No masks required.  We have cruised a ton since the restart and we are so happy ships are back to capacity.  So great watching people having fun again.  We think the food is fine, shows are great.  Nothing to complain about as far as we are concerned

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

No, not required.  However, for your own well being, going aboard a crowded ships with no mandatory vaccinations and no pre-boarding COVID screening is asking to catch something.  If you don't want to mask that is up to you but COVID is still here and it is still infecting cruise passengers, vaccinated or not. 

• Like 2

Just now, DaKahuna said:

No, not required.  However, for your own well being, going aboard a crowded ships with no mandatory vaccinations and no pre-boarding COVID screening is asking to catch something.  If you don't want to mask that is up to you but COVID is still here and it is still infecting cruise passengers, vaccinated or not. 

My husband and I still wear masks in crowded areas. Doesn't bother us that others don't, just our preference. We've not had comments or negative feedback. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keksie said:

No - they are absolutely not mandatory!  We are SO over masking.  They make some people feel safer - to each his own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:43 AM, depplep said:

Hi everyone,

Things are back to “normal” precovid. We have been on 5 RCCL post restart cruises. 

People, in general, like to complain. They will complain about everything from chair hogs to rice crispy. Ignore all. Other than the occasional supply chain issues, we have not noted anything to complain about. In fact, we enjoy some of the changes implemented. 

• Like 3