Real Experience With a Good Travel Insurance Policy

RBKL

Had a medical emergency on an April sailing of the Wonder of the Seas.

Ships medical staff was amazing and exceptionally quick. We were disembarked in Cozumel for follow up. Doing great now but the insurance process is unreal.

Still waiting for AON to cover our expenses. Can’t get the status. Every few weeks we get a request for the same info we have submitted multiple times. Seems like a delaying tactic. I asked to speak to management but nobody returns calls. I reach out on line for updates but nobody responds even though the sight says they will within 1 business day.

We need to find a better travel insurance provider for future travel.

Looking for feedback from people who have made a travel insurance claim and received prompt service. Not looking for the cheapest policy, just one that when we need to make a claim will be responsive, provide the current status and pay on claims.

We have several cruises planned across several lines and they all seem to use AON. We need to find a new provider with better service.

The only time I ever had to make a claim (twice) was with Travelguard.

first time was a land to Bermuda where my flight back was cancelled due to airports closed on east coast. The got my flights rebooked via Miami and covered expenses whilst stranded.

second time had to take dd to dr onboard a ship as she was unwell. Once I provided confirmation not covered by my us medical insurance my refund was timely

glad to hear you are doing well now.

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel your pain.

Maybe Hank @Hlitner can respond. I know Hank has experienced many an insurance story and he worked in the insurance industry.

My only advise would be to search for a policy that has medical as Primary. AON and all the cruise line policies are secondary meaning you have to file with any other primary insurance you may have even if you know 100% they don't cover and will deny. It stalls the claim until they officially deny the claim.

My other advice is to seek out a broker for travel insurance. A broker who will take the time to answer any questions you may have. Someone who may even bring things to your attention that you hadn't even thought of. Also, someone who will be there to help with a claim since they earned a commission on the sale. Someone like Steve and/or his associates at TripInsuranceStore.com.

Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I do not have any solution to insurance companies slow walking claims.   A good broker may have more clout with the insurance company and be willing to try and help (Steve of Tripinsurancestore has that reputation).  Although I have a good background in the industry, it is not very helpful when insurers play games or just drag their feet.  We, personally, have about $25,000 of outstanding claims (through our Chase credit card) that I believe are processed by Allianz.  I have met all their demands (for documents and Statements) and they simply say everything is in "pend" status and we should hear within 5 business days (that was nearly two months ago).  A phone call tells me that we have done everything correct, they have all our documents, and to just wait!  My simple response is either pay the claims, tell me what else you need, or give me an explanation.  And the response is silence!  

So, let's look at things from the insurance company perspective.  Most claims processing centers are completely overwhelmed and understaffed.  We all know about the 10s of thousands of airline cancellations, delays, etc.  Many of these will have generated claims and created a true mess.  The insurance claims adjustment centers were already having staffing issues (just like many business) and this is like a perfect storm.  When insurance processing centers get behind, everyone must wait!  It is wrong, not fair, in some cases illegal, and there should be some liability.  When we, consumers, are late with a payment there is little mercy and we may need to pay fees, interest, or simply get screwed,  But when an insurance company slow walks claims, sometimes nothing happens unless a State's Insurance Commissioner decides to take an interest.

If all else fails (and this is about last resorts) there are a few options.  Certainly, contact your own States Insurance Department and find out how to file a complaint (Insurers in the USA are licensed in all States where they sell policies).  Other options include social media or trying to get help from various ombudsman organizations such as Elliott.org.  There is also legal action but that is truly a desparate last resort and requires legal counsel.  

Getting to the OPs issue with Aon, this is just so wrong!  Medical claims, when properly submitted with the necessary supporting documents should be paid within a few weeks!  Medicare actually requires their fiscal intermediaries (insurance companies) to settle most claims within 30 days!  Our recent GeoBlue claim was paid in less than a month!  There is no excuse for an Aon claim filed in April to not have been settled as long as you have submitted the necessary documentation.  If AON needs additional info or has an issue with other payors, you should be informed.   In your situation I would certainly file a complaint with the Maryland Insurance Administration.  Perhaps somebody in your State government will develop an interest and do some work on your behalf!  State governments have a lot of leverage over insurance companies so do not sell them short.  And if you need help dealing with your State's burocracy, a call to your local member of the legislature can often help gets things expeditied. 

None of this stuff is easy, fast, or fun.  But sometimes the little guys need to fight back and use the system.  

Hank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if other travel insurance companies do the same thing but Aon delayed my relative's return to the US because it deemed the foreign hospital adequate. The care was not in question, but the expenses were adding up and it was a big run around with the primary insurance having to pay first, and of course this was definitely out of network. They wanted the patient to fly home commercial while he was still an ICU patient. Eventually they paid for private medical air transport back to the US but it took a lot of convincing by the medical staff. The incidental expenses such as the hotel and meals for his wife were paid quickly by Aon. Obviously the plane home was very expensive so I understand their business model is to fight that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had great luck with them.  We had to cancel two cruises (b2b) 3.5 years ago after I was injured. We had AON through RCI.  They were very easy to work with.  My Dr (orthopedic surgeon) provided a letter stating why I could not travel and we filed and were totally refunded in a few weeks.  For this  year, we bought an annual policy through Allianz mainly for medical and evacuation coverage as we're less concerned with an interrupted trip and it is cheaper than buying insurance through RCI for the 3 cruises we have booked.  Also, search this site, there are several threads about insurance.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Allianz annual policy is less expensive than that for a single trip. Their trip interruption coverage is low ($2,000) but their medical coverage is excellent. 

Depends on what plan you buy from them.

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Allianz annual policy is less expensive than that for a single trip. Their trip interruption coverage is low ($2,000) but their medical coverage is excellent. 

Thanks for your reply. What is your experience with their claims process?

The less expensive is only a great deal and a factor to consider until you file a claim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RBKL said:

Thanks for your reply. What is your experience with their claims process?

The less expensive is only a great deal and a factor to consider until you file a claim.

Not a medical claim with Allianz, but luggage.  At some point in flying (multiple flights) the luggage locks were broken.  Filed claim and Allianz paid immediately with only a photo prior to my sending boarding pass photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used Travel Insured International for several trips over the years.  Several years pre-covid I had a small claim for an urgent care visit that was paid quickly and easily.  In 2020 I had a 5 figure trip cancellation claim that took several months to be paid, but all their staff was working from home due to lock downs, and I'm sure they had a huge number of claims from the early COVID chaos.  I still use them without hesitation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

We had great luck with them.  We had to cancel two cruises (b2b) 3.5 years ago after I was injured. We had AON through RCI.  They were very easy to work with.  My Dr (orthopedic surgeon) provided a letter stating why I could not travel and we filed and were totally refunded in a few weeks.  For this  year, we bought an annual policy through Allianz mainly for medical and evacuation coverage as we're less concerned with an interrupted trip and it is cheaper than buying insurance through RCI for the 3 cruises we have booked.  Also, search this site, there are several threads about insurance.

I also have no complaints with AON. Used them when I had to have an outpatient procedure in Cozumel on a cruise. My claim was settled quickly. I even received trip interruption payment for the two days that I spent either in medical or at the outpatient clinic. 

10 hours ago, Spurschick said:

The only time I ever had to make a claim (twice) was with Travelguard.

Same here. Our son got seriously ill after boarding a Norwegian cruise (unrelated to the cruise itself, just poorly coincident). The medical center bill ran about $5,500.

I feared dealing with the insurance, but I sent them everything I could in terms of documentation to justify it and was quite pleased that they promptly paid the amount in full. (I'll note that I do pay for the primary medical coverage to avoid any hassles between the travel insurance and my work-provided insurance.)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, drjohn4 said:

I have used Travel Insured International for several trips over the years.  Several years pre-covid I had a small claim for an urgent care visit that was paid quickly and easily.  In 2020 I had a 5 figure trip cancellation claim that took several months to be paid, but all their staff was working from home due to lock downs, and I'm sure they had a huge number of claims from the early COVID chaos.  I still use them without hesitation.

I like ITravelInsured also. I've bought policies from them through Insure My Trip dot com, but only had to file a claim once, which was successful.

I recent bought a policy through a different company called Trawick International, which I also found on Insure My Trip dot com. I had to file a claim, which was successful, but I had a hell of a time reaching their customer service. I continually got canned email replies saying they'd get back to me within a few days, and then I wouldn't hear from them for weeks.

I ended up calling the customer service number for Insure My Trip dot com, who then called the insurance company on my behalf, and got my claim expedited. I received my check within 2 weeks after that. I had no issues with Trawick International accepting my claim, it just took them forever to process it, and I could never get ahold of them. 

I now have a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card which has excellent travel insurance that comes with the card as long as you book at least a portion of your trip with the card, and as long as your trip is between 5-60 days long. The only downside to the insurance is that the medical coverage is only $2500, there's no coverage for "civil unrest" (for example, when they closed down Machu Pichu due to the protests in Peru and travelers couldn't get in or out, that wouldn't have been covered), and it doesn't have cancel-for-any-reason coverage. But, the rest of the coverage is better than a lot of the private policies you can buy, so it's a very good option. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

Never had to use them for a medical emergency but we've had good luck with Travel Guard. We had 3 claims in the past 5 years for canceled cruises from my aging parents falling ill. They were pleasant to deal with and quick processing the claim.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I should also mention that unless someone chimes in with something Royal Caribbean insurance specific, this thread is gonna get moved in 3...2...1...

Considering that the OP mentions that they policy was purchased from Royal, I would think that fulfills the intent.

However, a mod will probably move this to the Insurance forum at some time.

11 hours ago, RBKL said:

Had a medical emergency on an April sailing of the Wonder of the Seas.

Ships medical staff was amazing and exceptionally quick. We were disembarked in Cozumel for follow up. Doing great now but the insurance process is unreal.

Still waiting for AON to cover our expenses. Can’t get the status. Every few weeks we get a request for the same info we have submitted multiple times. Seems like a delaying tactic. I asked to speak to management but nobody returns calls. I reach out on line for updates but nobody responds even though the sight says they will within 1 business day.

We had a very similar experience with AON.  We had to cancel a cruise due to an injury days before the cruise started.  We supplied Dr signed documents and filled out the correct forms but AON continued to ask for information we already provided.  Stick with it, we eventually got paid!   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I should also mention that unless someone chimes in with something Royal Caribbean insurance specific, this thread is gonna get moved in 3...2...1...

Understand, I did mention I purchased this through Royal Caribbean for our Wonder of the Seas cruise in April 2022. Regret if that wasn't clear.

• Like 2

I think like Hank said, the problem is that the insurance companies are overwhelmed and under staffed. I’d wager that they are also paying out a lot more in claims each year than they used to pre-pandemic. That may have them being more nitpicky than before, not saying that’s right to do to consumers at all, just saying that’s my guess of why they’re being tougher. My only experience with a travel insurance claim was actually with Aon through a cruise line, but I had a good experience. This was long before the pandemic, though. They paid out in six weeks, which was exactly what they told me it would take. 

I’m sorry some of you were having a terrible experience getting your claims paid. This thread has been very informative and eye-opening as I prepare for our next cruise.

I sincerely hope insurance companies do right by their customers and process claims in a timely manner! 

• Like 1

Has anyone used the cancel for any reason part of Royal's travel insurance?  It says it is a Royal provided option and provides 90% of trip cost as FCC.  Do you file with AON or does Royal handle it? It sounds like a good flexible option if something comes up pre-cruise.  Take a small loss and rebook for a later cruise with FCC.  Just wondered how it actually worked and whether there were hidden issues.  

we have always purchased through the cruise line.  Mom broke her hip while on a canadian cruise, obviously had surgery and had to stay in hospital.  It took about two months for full payment to come about.  she had the US medicaid as well.  They did right by her, but was unsure if you had any additional medical insurance, so that may be the difference. 

• Like 1

Another vote for talking to Steve from TripInsuranceStore.  Not only has he always taken the time to ask a million questions and really figure out the best for our needs (we have had some complicated preexisting medical situations), but when I have had to file a claim (not medical, ironically), one of his agents stayed on the phone with me and talked me through every line, and I was reimbursed promptly.  

• Like 1

We had Aon for a west Med cruise in May. Purchased thru cruise line. Porting in and out of Barcelona. We were staying 3 days post cruise. This was still in the time of needing a negative Covid test to cruise or fly. I developed symptoms the day I stepped off the ship, then tested positive the day before I was to fly home. American Airline would not refund ( and only effective voucher was to take same flight - from Barcelona to US a month later or more). I was in a fine Hilton hotel for another week before testing negative. I filed a trip delay claim. AON did not respond for several months, then ultimately asked for receipts, and proof that I was quarantined. 

KEEP EVERY RECEIPT - and flight info. I was able to obtain a brief letter from my local primary care provider stating I had been positive for Covid and was quarantined. 7 months later, we did receive a payout of approx $1600. Certainly didn't cover entire cost, but we'll take it. Patience and persistence. 

• Like 1