Only 2 per room now!!!!!

rizkeeper

Im trying to book a cabin for the first week in April on either Mardi or Celebration. Neither have 3 person rooms left (me, wife and 10 year daughter / all platinum). I’m told we can get 2 cabins joined,  2 in 1 and 1 in the other.  There are many 2 person rooms and 2 person balconies (which have couches or couch beds) the 3 of us have stayed in these rooms before. 

is it new policy to only allow 2 people

per room? I wouldn’t mind it if the 3rd person wasn’t a younger child. 

Your ship is probably sold out of the cabins with larger occupancy as you are looking to book only 2 months in advance, and on 2 of CCL's "newer" ships.   First week of April is Spring Break here in NY for many schools, and I am sure in the whole Northeast, as it is Passover/Easter Week. Good luck with your quest.  Keep checking - may be last minute cancellations.

• Like 2

Almost every room can hold three people but the ship can only carry as many passengers as they have life boat seats for. So they allocate a certain number of extra occupant rooms based on total life boat capacity and when they're gone, they're gone. In your case if they went ahead and placed a third in your room then they'd have to hope for a solo traveler taking a room for two but only using it for one and not deciding up to sailing to add that second guest OR ending up with an empty room with no traveler in it at all because no solo travelers wanted to buy the room. It's a little weird how it works but that's the gist of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stands to reason.  If you wait last minute to buy cruises or land vacations for spring break, you pay more and get the scraps which are left.  

My sister does this all the time.  

Buy now for next year and the year after that.  I’d rather lose a $100 deposit if I change my mind, than spend an extra $500+ for a subpar room later.  But that’s just me.  Sometimes people can’t schedule out that far.  

I schedule the rest of my life AROUND vacation.  😎. Always have.  

• Like 6

Guest BasicSailor
48 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

Almost every room can hold three people, but the ship can only carry as many passengers as they have lifeboat seats for. So, they allocate a certain number of extra occupant rooms based on total lifeboat capacity.

You think all those people will fit into those lifeboats on MG?

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

The lifeboats have a total capacity of 7392, while the maximum passenger capacity is 6631.  Then there are life rafts with a capacity of 3672 for only 1735 crew.  So, while she is required to have 125% life saving capacity, she has 132%.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Guest BasicSailor
19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The lifeboats have a total capacity of 7392, while the maximum passenger capacity is 6631.  Then there are life rafts with a capacity of 3672 for only 1735 crew.  So, while she is required to have 125% life saving capacity, she has 132%.

Easy enough to get you to come out of hiding.😉

I for the first time called my Carnival Cruise planner for our next B2B cruise. I wanted to book the same room for all 9 days and it didn't look like I would be able to from my mock booking. He was able to get everything arranged and he was able to find us the same type of room in same area for both legs of our trip. Maybe if you contacted a Carnival cruise planner they can find you a room for three.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Here's hoping the average passenger isn't more than 32% larger than they assume when calculating lifeboat capacity. Don't they assume 150 pound people? That's rather optimistic for modern day Americans. And I suspect cruise ship passengers skew even heavier than the average American.

Though Americans aren't the only cruisers of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Here's hoping the average passenger isn't more than 32% larger than they assume when calculating lifeboat capacity. Don't they assume 150 pound people? That's rather optimistic for modern day Americans. And I suspect cruise ship passengers skew even heavier than the average American.

Though Americans aren't the only cruisers of course. 

Yes but think of how many children are on board that are much smaller than the 150lb average. 

49 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Yes but think of how many children are on board that are much smaller than the 150lb average. 

I'm on Mardi Gras now. There are 6,296 pax on board, and only 584 of them are under 21 per John Heald.

I believe the LSA code requires a 16.2" minimum seat width. Some airlines sell coach seats that are that narrow.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that certain TAs book up blocks of rooms and then when close to sailing they return what they didn't sell. You might be within the period that some TAs may still have rooms that could sleep 3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

57 minutes ago, tidecat said:

I'm on Mardi Gras now. There are 6,296 pax on board, and only 584 of them are under 21 per John Heald.

I believe the LSA code requires a 16.2" minimum seat width. Some airlines sell coach seats that are that narrow.

It's actually a 215mm radius circle, or 16.9" width.

• Like 1

I have been booked on Mardis Gras since September for that week. I actually noticed before final payment in January that all the 3 and 4 person cabins were gone. I think it has to do with lifeboat capacity. I am assuming they will be at max capacity that week.  It would s school break for a lot of families do it makes sense that the 3 and 4 person cabins went first. We actually always book 2 cabins and put our teens across the hall. It usually comes out cheaper or close to the same price as being in the same cabin cramped.

1 hour ago, vswan said:

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that certain TAs book up blocks of rooms and then when close to sailing they return what they didn't sell. You might be within the period that some TAs may still have rooms that could sleep 3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Final payment was due back in early January so any unclaimed blocks should have already been released.

23 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Umm... yes, according to maritime law Carnival and every line has too. You don't really think they'd take more passengers/crew than lifeboat capacity do you? Ships haven't done that since the Titanic-lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thenagers said:

I have been booked on Mardis Gras since September for that week. I actually noticed before final payment in January that all the 3 and 4 person cabins were gone. I think it has to do with lifeboat capacity. I am assuming they will be at max capacity that week.  It would s school break for a lot of families do it makes sense that the 3 and 4 person cabins went first. We actually always book 2 cabins and put our teens across the hall. It usually comes out cheaper or close to the same price as being in the same cabin cramped.

And you have access to two bathrooms instead of just one.  Makes a big difference!👍