Third Adult Privacy in Junior Suite?

Tatra603

We're toying with the idea of treating my old Mum by joining us on our next cruise.

Purchasing a solo room just for her is out of the question for financial reasons.

So I've been looking at adding her as a third adult, perhaps in a Junior Suite.

Can anyone tell me about how much privacy we (and she) will have? Is there a curtain that can be pulled across at night? Does the fact that the suite is larger make that more difficult than say, a narrower standard balcony room?

The ship would be Anthem.

Any advice gratefully received.

I have traveled in a JS on Adventure with my two teenage children, the only privacy you get outside of the bathroom is the walk in closet which we were able to utilize as a changing room. There was no curtain divider in our JS that I can recall seeing. We sailed in a GS, just my husband and myself and there was a curtain divider in that cabin. Have you considered booking her an adjoining/attached balcony room? A 2 bedroom suite might be the more affordable option here if you are looking for each party to have privacy, that being said, even the most expensive suites on the ship have merely curtains for privacy in the master sleeping spaces (loft suites). Sharing a cruise cabin with anyone aside from your spouse won't be an overly "private" situation. 

• Like 2

You can put up your own curtain because the ceiling is magnetic. All you need is some magnetic hooks and a curtain. I googled “cruise cabin putting up curtain divider” and see a few videos that have information. There is one called “sharing a cabin with friends or family?” And it shows a great video. And with magnetic hooks you can configure the curtain anyway you like or take more than one.

• Like 4

Far as I've seen, the use of the word "suite" in these Royal Carribean ships is more about how snooty the room is, and less about having enough room for more than 2. There *are* options, you just have to hunt them down a bit. Other than that, there's been a few good suggestions so far.

• Like 1

Your best bet would be to get a Grand Suite.  There is a curtain between the bedroom and the 'living room' and there is a sofa bed in the living room area.   Only a single bathroom so that will need to be taken into consideration. 

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

The best part about a J4 junior suite is that you will have 2 toilets.  I don’t recall any privacy or curtain, but it was just the 2 of us.

Two toilets?  Never been on Anthem but have had several J4's on different class ships, never 2 toilets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

The best part about a J4 junior suite is that you will have 2 toilets.  I don’t recall any privacy or curtain, but it was just the 2 of us.

We have stayed in a J4 on Anthem and it did not have two toilets, it did have a split bathroom.  There was one bathroom with a toilet and a sink and another bathroom with a sink, tub and a standalone rain shower.  These bathrooms used to be called spa junior suites.  There is no curtain to divide the room for privacy as the OP is looking for and the MIL would be on a sofabed.

There are also larger JS, I think J1, that do have a toilet in each of the bathrooms.  One bathroom has a toilet and a sink and the other bathroom has a sink, tub and toilet.

1 hour ago, cruzvaca said:

You can put up your own curtain because the ceiling is magnetic. All you need is some magnetic hooks and a curtain. I googled “cruise cabin putting up curtain divider” and see a few videos that have information. There is one called “sharing a cabin with friends or family?” And it shows a great video. And with magnetic hooks you can configure the curtain anyway you like or take more than one.

That was my thought as well, metal hooks and a shower curtain.

I fail to see how adding a third person to a Junior Suite is going to be all that much cheaper than paying the single supplement on an inside room and two people in a balcony room.  

You can get an extra room key for the balcony room, so that Mom has access to a balcony during the daytime.

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

We're toying with the idea of treating my old Mum by joining us on our next cruise.

Purchasing a solo room just for her is out of the question for financial reasons.

So I've been looking at adding her as a third adult, perhaps in a Junior Suite.

Can anyone tell me about how much privacy we (and she) will have? Is there a curtain that can be pulled across at night? Does the fact that the suite is larger make that more difficult than say, a narrower standard balcony room?

The ship would be Anthem.

Any advice gratefully received.

The price jump between a balcony and a Junior Suite is significant ... have you priced out the cost of connecting balconies instead?  Two balconies would give Mum a real bed (instead of a sofa bed), real privacy, and a closet and bathroom of her own.  Depending upon the ship, your steward may be able to open your balcony dividers, giving you one wiiiiiiide balcony.  I think everyone would be happier.  

1 hour ago, PolicromaSol said:

Far as I've seen, the use of the word "suite" in these Royal Carribean ships is more about how snooty the room is, and less about having enough room for more than 2. There *are* options, you just have to hunt them down a bit. Other than that, there's been a few good suggestions so far.

I despise the way cruise lines use the word "suite".  A suite is a series of connecting rooms, but most cruise suites are just larger rooms.  I want to say to the cruise lines: 

Screenshot 2023-02-18 10.35.14 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have stayed in a J4 on Anthem and it did not have two toilets, it did have a split bathroom.  There was one bathroom with a toilet and a sink and another bathroom with a sink, tub and a standalone rain shower.  These bathrooms used to be called spa junior suites.  There is no curtain to divide the room for privacy as the OP is looking for and the MIL would be on a sofabed.

There are also larger JS, I think J1, that do have a toilet in each of the bathrooms.  One bathroom has a toilet and a sink and the other bathroom has a sink, tub and toilet.

Correction it was a J3 room #10604, it was wonderful.

There is no privacy if you have a third person in the room.  Suggest you teach your mother what to do if there is a sock on the doorknob.

Personally I would *never* do this.  I'd leave her at home (or just not go at all) if I couldn't afford to get her a room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The initial post suggests there us is a budget involved.

If you are indeed watching the budget, the suggestions of going to a larger suite (while appealing) will likely break that budget as would two balconies.

If budget matters, I’d sooner take two inside cabins rather than share a JS.  Taking two cabins opens the question of inviting a fourth person for little additional money (if mom has a sister, for example); give it a thought or discard the thought if appropriate.  If one of the cabins will be booked solo, I’d put the OP or spouse as the solo to get double points (whichever one currently has more C&A points or if they now have the same number the partner more likely to sail solo or with a friend in the future…as couples points are linked, both benefit when the point leader’s total grows)

• Like 4

Thanks for all the replies.

Fwiw, there is very little difference between balcony and JS on the cruises I'm looking at. (Southampton to Canaries in September)

I did some mock bookings. Two connecting balconies £8k. One balcony and one Inside directly opposite £7k. One JS for three adults £5k. 

That's a lot of extra money for a bit of privacy.

• Like 1