WIFI costs...are you kidding me?

remydiva

After MUCH frustration and an even worse CSA experience, I FINALLY got our status to the GREEN LINE. Needed to 'order' a medallion; last time I did this I was charged $60 for two when I just wanted the free stick in your pocket variety.

anyhoo...now that I'm in the Green Line I can proceed to order WIFI. As an Elite I've been used to free wifi. I know that there is now a fee unless you upgrade to the plus versions including tips, wifi and drinks.

No problem as I know we get 50% off (altho I heard you get that as a OBC vs pay less...CSA did not know that)

But no way I'm paying $141 net ($282 gross) for wifi on a TA where we got 6 sea days. Thats net $10 a day. Outrageous.🤑

For folks doing business, necessary. For me a retired senior, guess the kids will have to wait till port days to hear from their mom.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, remydiva said:

After MUCH frustration and an even worse CSA experience, I FINALLY got our status to the GREEN LINE. Needed to 'order' a medallion; last time I did this I was charged $60 for two when I just wanted the free stick in your pocket variety.

anyhoo...now that I'm in the Green Line I can proceed to order WIFI. As an Elite I've been used to free wifi. I know that there is now a fee unless you upgrade to the plus versions including tips, wifi and drinks.

No problem as I know we get 50% off (altho I heard you get that as a OBC vs pay less...CSA did not know that)

But no way I'm paying $141 net ($282 gross) for wifi on a TA where we got 6 sea days. Thats net $10 a day. Outrageous.🤑

For folks doing business, necessary. For me a retired senior, guess the kids will have to wait till port days to hear from their mom.

Isn't it great the Princess offers all kinds of options for various cruiser needs ... and not just a one size fits all.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Better to view it at  ₿0.004375 rather than doing those nasty conversions to CAD.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

On a TA the Internet speed will likely be extremely slow or non-existent.

So, what you're saying is that for $7.50 per day I'm able to spend three hours on the internet doing something compared to being able to access it for only about 20 minutes most other places?

Edited by d9704011

24 minutes ago, remydiva said:

WiFi is not free in my house. I pay a monthly fee just like I pay on board. The free minutes were never enough so I am glad to see unlimited included in the Plus package   To me that is like free since I can justify the package just on alcohol and gratuities. I like to keep up on news (Princess TV only has opinion no real news stations) and of course sports news and my daily wordle

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

So, what you're saying is that for $7.50 per day I'm able to spend three hours on the internet doing something compared to being able to access it for only about 20 minutes most other places?

yup...now can anyone refresh my panicy memory...is there a way to check in for flights from the Internet cafe? I've always done it on my chromebook, emailed boarding pass to myself (yes I'm old school) then printed up at Internet cafe.

Any thoughts how to do check in without using WiFi?

Princess has the cheapest internet prices amongst the major cruise lines, with a 50% discount on top of it I think it is actually a good deal.  Satellite based internet is extremely expensive and cruise lines went for well over a year with 0 revenue.  I think we need to realign expectations and if the value for what you get isnt there then simply don’t purchase it, but I think its a fair value.

• Like 22

1 hour ago, remydiva said:

yup...now can anyone refresh my panicy memory...is there a way to check in for flights from the Internet cafe? I've always done it on my chromebook, emailed boarding pass to myself (yes I'm old school) then printed up at Internet cafe.

Any thoughts how to do check in without using WiFi?

I’ve had my daughter do it for me with no issue.

• Like 1

I check in for our flights in the morning when we arrive at the final port.

2 hours ago, remydiva said:

Needed to 'order' a medallion; last time I did this I was charged $60 for two when I just wanted the free stick in your pocket variety.

well, you didn't have to pay for the free medallions. What exactly did you pay for? You could pick them up at the terminal for free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

Princess has the cheapest internet prices amongst the major cruise lines, with a 50% discount on top of it I think it is actually a good deal.  Satellite based internet is extremely expensive and cruise lines went for well over a year with 0 revenue.  I think we need to realign expectations and if the value for what you get isnt there then simply don’t purchase it, but I think its a fair value.

Last 2 cruises worst Internet at sea full stop.  MSC, and Celebrity rocked.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, remydiva said:

The only reason there has been a rebate of refundable OBC on board was during times when the Princess App was not applying the discount at point of purchase, or when the guest's true CC Member Level was not properly recognized in the App.  With the new pricing, you can book on-board at the same price.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The only reason there has been a rebate of refundable OBC on board was during times when the Princess App was not applying the discount at point of purchase, or when the guest's true CC Member Level was not properly recognized in the App.  With the new pricing, you can book on-board at the same price.

During any discussion of onboard Wi-Fi, I always look for responses by @Steelers36 . 
That way I know I have the definitive answer!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sabookkeeper said:

Do you have to buy the internet for the whole cruise or can you purchase it for just a day or two?

Yes, you can buy it on a per diem basis.  The old cost was $20/day.  I was not informed of the pricing with the new increases, but I believe we can assume it is something higher now.  I would expect at least $25/day now.  I am still looking for confirmation on this from a ship's Internet Cafe Mgr.

4 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

The Princess Plus package seemed a great deal  compared with other lines.😊

At 60 per day, after factoring out gratuities, it's 45.50 for wifi & drinks per day.  This is cheaper than any of their competitors.  It of course was an even greater deal when it was 40 per day, which we enjoyed last year for 14 days on the Discovery and will for 14 in a few months on the Majestic.

• Like 1

We are on a 16 night Hawaii Cruise that I cancelled and re-booked for a better price.  We had Internet 4 devices and paid for $108 CAD for upgrade to 4 devices for the cruise.

I went to book the 4 devices again and was totally flabbergasted that the price has gone up 400% to $432, and that is with the 50% discount for being Platinum.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, remydiva said:

Same situation here.  Upcoming 16 day cruise carries a $120 charge per Elite passenger (7.50/day after 50% discount) for internet access - and we've got 10 sea days, likely with bad satellite coverage.  We've never used up all the previous Platinum/Elite internet minutes on a cruise, so this charge is not a great "loyalty benefit."   

However, as we need to access internet at least a couple of times, I've talked with my Princess travel advisor who verified we can buy a day of access at a time, and her feedback is that the 50% discount applies.  We'll see if that's true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Valiamo Yes, the rate increased on February 20th, I think. Notice given in December?  There has been a lot of discussion on cruise critic.  I hope the drop in fare was worth the difference. 

@Times PrinceIf you are on a Hawaii voyage, Medallion Net has been fairly reliable.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Valiamo Yes, the rate increased on February 20th, I think. Notice given in December?  There has been a lot of discussion on cruise critic.  I hope the drop in fare was worth the difference. 

Yes, it was well worth it. 

Saved almost $1900 on the the cruise (CAD at Par sale 2 weeks ago) and got the corner Aft Balcony we wanted.  Not going to give them extra $$ for this, as I can spend in the 10 seconds to change devices if I need to.. and I really should be taking a break from electronics for the trip (but it will never happen).

• Like 3

On 2/24/2023 at 7:31 PM, GonzoWCS said:

Last 2 cruises worst Internet at sea full stop.  MSC, and Celebrity rocked.

Cheers

There are too many variables with satellite internet for this to be a fair comparison.  Was it the exact same itinerary across all 4 cruises?  Location of the ship has a lot to do with the internet speed.  As does congestion on the ship side, congestion on the service provider side, weather etc.  I’m not saying Princess is better than the other 2, just pointing out unless you did the exact same itinerary on all of them, with the same weather its not a true comparison.

• Like 2