Celebrity room service charges?

willow949

23 hours ago, willow949 said:

Last cruise was at Christmas for 10 days on Princess  before that Holland ( we are 4 star ) and on both cruises did not have service fees for room service. 

Different cruise lines. NCL has been charging for years.

6 hours ago, CunucuMom said:

Speaking of room service from a newbie...if you have a drink package, is room service alcohol "free" up to the package budget per drink or is every alcoholic drink charged at the room service menu price regardless if you have a drink package or not?

Drinks ordered through room service do have the room service charge, package  or not.

34 minutes ago, cruizingOmi said:

Drinks ordered through room service do have the room service charge, package  or not.

So if we have a drink package, we can order a drink delivered to your room, and only ay the service charge + grat?

12 minutes ago, capsplace said:

So if we have a drink package, we can order a drink delivered to your room, and only ay the service charge + grat?

The package does not include drinks from Room Service or drinks from the mini-bar.

So if you order a $10 drink from Room Service you would pay $10 plus the delivery charge of $11.94 with the gratuity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, capsplace said:

No, you will pay the price of the drink plus gratuity as well as the room service charge and gratuity. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Even though you are appalled with APEX, and some others have been negative, there have also been a lot of very positive posts from people recently off APEX.  

We are two of the positives.  We were on Apex January 7th and 14th, 2023.  We had two very nice cruises. 😊

• Like 3

19 hours ago, capsplace said:

I checked the fine print under the  drink packages and they are not included with room service, sorry

so you pay for the drinks and possibly room service charges

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 6:02 PM, jelayne said:

Is the lack of a service charge because of you 4 star status?

No, there is no charge on HAL for room service, except possibly (if I remember right) if you place a late-night order.

Also HAL still lets you order dinner items from the MDR so long as you order during their hours.

Forgot to add: Also there is a charge for ordering items from the specialty restaurants (fair enough) and from their "Dive In" restaurant menu, which is very good burgers, hot dogs, and fries. But for the most part room service is free, including a hot breakfast...

Edited by cruisemom42

I just came off the Sky Princess and they do not charge for delivery of food or alcoholic beverages to your room or anywhere on the ship.  I ordered drinks to my room when sitting on my balcony and food to my sun lounger while sitting by the pool.  The Princess staff can find you anywhere on the ship by a medallion that you carry. I did carry some small bills and tipped them for their excellent service.

28 minutes ago, lordian said:

I just came off the Sky Princess and they do not charge for delivery of food or alcoholic beverages to your room or anywhere on the ship.  I ordered drinks to my room when sitting on my balcony and food to my sun lounger while sitting by the pool.  The Princess staff can find you anywhere on the ship by a medallion that you carry. I did carry some small bills and tipped them for their excellent service.

We did a Princess cruise in June and the "find you anywhere" was inconsistent. We would get our food or our drinks but never both.  And I don't mean they came at different times, they just randomly cancelled one or the other without any notification.  We did better the latter part of the cruise where we had one person order food and the other drinks.  I hope they have improved the service. 

After checking it on the Celebrity website I find that the continental breakfast is still FREE, you only pay room service fee on other meals and beverages.

Copied from the website:

Does Celebrity Cruises offer room service?

24-hour room service is available any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom (Room service fee of $9.95* applies). An 18% gratuity is additional and will automatically be added to your check.

Continental breakfast room service is complimentary. Available from 6am – 11am each day of the cruise except disembarkation day.

*Room service fee is subject to change without notice. 24-hour room service is complimentary for guests of The Retreat and Zenith Captain Club members.

• Like 1

I was on Eclipse in February. I enjoyed my cruise but the room service charge just seemed a bit tacky considering we were also in Aqua. It isn't that we can't afford the charge it's just that it in my opinion it cheapens the brand. I think it is just the incremental cuts that sometimes make you think about moving to other lines. Of course at the moment Celebrity don't care as there is often more demand and you can see that reflected in the prices and future bookings. Only time will tell if it is a sensible move for them to make. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, john1970 said:

I was on Eclipse in February. I enjoyed my cruise but the room service charge just seemed a bit tacky considering we were also in Aqua. It isn't that we can't afford the charge it's just that it in my opinion it cheapens the brand. I think it is just the incremental cuts that sometimes make you think about moving to other lines. Of course at the moment Celebrity don't care as there is often more demand and you can see that reflected in the prices and future bookings. Only time will tell if it is a sensible move for them to make. 

We only book Sky Suites with Celebrity so the room service charge is not an issue for us, however I have read that you can no longer have dinner from the MDR menu delivered by room service. We are booked on 2 HAL cruises, and they have not instigated any RS charges for any class of cabin and the MDR menu is still available for RS. I can see why people in non-suites are upset about the changes with Celebrity. The $11.74 per delivery charges can add up very quickly if you use RS Mutiple times a day.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, tonyinoc said:

I am not happy about this because I do like to order Bacon and eggs and eat on the balcony 🙂 when I booked the cruise it was free but know they added the charge. I think its a bit steep to be honest considering they will bring you pastry and coffee for free in the morning just slide on some bacon 🙂 lol

Same here. If I had know, then it's up to me to pay the premium price for Celebrity.  But, I booked and made my final payment... then they changed it after I paid in full.  That's not right.  They sold me one thing and took full payment then changed what I bought...... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

I’m confused. You tip the room service person very well, but if the owner of the ship starts charging you, the room service person gets squat?

They get the $1.80 or so that their employer decided was the appropriate gratuity for the service they charge $9.95 for.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:24 AM, willow949 said:

Just read that Celebrity is going to charge over $9.00 plus 18% for room service. We eat dinner in our room almost every evening and I think this is just wrong!! BTW we tip the room service person very well, but not if we are charged… this is the first time hearing of charges. 

You likely won’t be eating dinner in your room unless you want to select food from the extremely limited room service menu. You can no longer order room service from

the main dining room menu. I tried, and failed miserably. It was an absolute hard “no”. A sad change as I did enjoy dinner on my balcony on occasion.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

They get the $1.80 or so that their employer decided was the appropriate gratuity for the service they charge $9.95 for.

That'll show Celebrity! 

Of course, back in the real world I assume you tip on the value of a meal.

I wonder if this change has anything to do with the ability to find and train staff.  I have read some posts where people feel the ships are understaffed or filled with trainees.  Where I live there is one restaurant chain that isn't even doing delivery anymore as they can't get anyone to do it.  It's dine-in or pick-up. 

s it possible they don't have the staff to do all this running around the ship?  Imagine if every guest, for some reason, wanted room service?   Maybe the fee is to encourage people to go where the food is. 

I know they do the continental breakfast, but they have lots of time to get those orders ready and organize the deliveries.  

Just a thought.