Do not miss dishes

lux4me

Hi all, 

DH and I are sailing on the TA next week on the Splendor.   Any suggestions on do not miss dishes around the ship. 

we are foodies and are looking at the great menus 

• Haha 1

Definitely the miso Chilean sea bass in CR. One of the best I’ve ever had, I actually ordered a second and skipped dessert (a rarity for me!). It was cooked to perfection.

Ask one of the head waiters in La Veranda when they will have Pasteis de nata, an incredibly good custard pastry from Portugal. They only made it twice on our 13 night cruise. 

F30C6CB7-1907-4C2F-84F7-B2B411DD6421.jpeg

1132068A-94D3-49DB-B1CF-2A00FAE9C26F.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lux4me said:

Hi all, 

DH and I are sailing on the TA next week on the Splendor.   Any suggestions on do not miss dishes around the ship. 

we are foodies and are looking at the great menus 

Have you signed up on the Splendor TA roll call? A group of us meeting at sail away around pool bar. 

Chartreuse: Steak Tartare; Cheese Soufflé; Foie Gras Terrine; Floating Island; Apple Tart; Cheese

Pacific Rim: Duck & Watermelon Salad; Lobster Tempura

Prime 7: Onion Rings

Compass Rose: Lobster Bisque; Miso Sea Bass

Pool Grill (lunch): Lobster Nachos (comfort food 😋); Truffle Burger

La Veranda & Coffee Connection & Room Service (Friday Breakfast): Almond Croissant

• Like 3

I scouted Navigator on our last cruise and never found an almond croissant. But the diver scallop and pork belly dish in Prime 7 was excellent! I became good buddies with the Compass Rose restaurant manager when I asked him why they were putting nutmeg in the mashed potatoes, since to me, it was an odd and unpleasant addition. After that, I was able to get mine nutmeg free. Hopefully, they changed the recipe. Yuck. We will be on Voyager in 2 weeks. I will find those almond croissants!!!

• Like 1

In the Veranda buffet for lunch (I think it was the themed Italian lunch): Porchetta!  Crispy pork skin, lovely (fatty) pork belly.  Totally not good for you (fortunately, you can only eat a bites of it) but my goodness, I am salivating right now just thinking about it... 😀

Actually, the Indian meal we requested was also *really* good.  (My wife is Indian and talked with butler about what would be good and it was pretty obvious that the kitchen put a lot of thought into what was served).

48 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

In CR, the truffle sauce with either the filet mignon or the veal medallions. excellent.

100% - I was going to say that Madeira truffle sauce with some beautiful beef is amazing. I would love to get the recipe for that.

Not a fan of the popcorn sundae in Prime 7, but I know others love it!

Setti Marie have a couple that we always fall back on as excellent.

The Ossobuco is reliable as is (copy/paste from online menu!) Cioppino

Classic Seafood Stew with Shrimp, Scallops, Lobster, Clams, Mussels, Calamari and Fresh Fish, Sauteed with Garlic, White Wine, Parsley and Fresh Tomato Broth and Served with Crusty Bread for Dipping

The broth is/was out of this world. Dipping with the fresh bread? Ummff.. So good.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, slidebite said:

100% - I was going to say that Madeira truffle sauce with some beautiful beef is amazing. I would love to get the recipe for that.

Thank you for adding 'Madeira', i knew i was missing something. Can't believe i left it off as i love a glass of Madeira. The sauce was so delicious i could have just had a bowl of it.