Ironing clothes

I send my stuff out for pressing prior to packing. When I get them back I keep them in the plastic when I pack them. For some mysterious reason they come out of the suitcase unwrinkled. For the odd little bit of wrinkling showering with them the restroom hanging takes care of that. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smheese said:

I saw that clothes steamers are not allowed, so if those are not allowed what about irons in the room? How does one de wrinkle clothing for dinner and formal nights? 

No irons.

I don’t have an iron. If a fabric requires ironing I simply don’t buy it, and certainly wouldn’t travel with it. If an item has a few creases, I find the easiest thing is to spray with some water and then hit with a hairdryer. Perfect. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

I don’t have an iron. If a fabric requires ironing I simply don’t buy it, and certainly wouldn’t travel with it. If an item has a few creases, I find the easiest thing is to spray with some water and then hit with a hairdryer. Perfect. 

Agree.

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I send my stuff out for pressing prior to packing. When I get them back I keep them in the plastic when I pack them. For some mysterious reason they come out of the suitcase unwrinkled. For the odd little bit of wrinkling showering with them the restroom hanging takes care of that. 

I use to have them pressed before Cruise, last yr Royals offered pressing at pretty good price. Did 12 Shirts for less then $30. I just bring them clean and send out to be pressed, back in about 18hrs before Dinner on second Day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smheese said:

I saw that clothes steamers are not allowed, so if those are not allowed what about irons in the room? How does one de wrinkle clothing for dinner and formal nights? 

I pack each dressy/wrinkle-prone item separately on a lightweight hanger and then in its own plastic dry cleaner bag.  After everything else is in the suitcase, I lay all the hangered items in a stack on top of the open case and fold the whole stacked package into thirds, hanger-end first.  Zip up the bag.  

Onboard, they go straight from the suitcase to hang in the wardrobe.  Been doing this for years and it really works keeping things as wrinkle free as possible for us. I don't even bother with the wrinkle release stuff. 

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 2

I leave all my dress clothes on hangers and cover them with a plastic dry cleaner bag.  I fold them once in half and pack them in the top of my suitcase. 

Unpack….hang them in the closet….absolutely no wrinkles 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I leave all my dress clothes on hangers and cover them with a plastic dry cleaner bag.  I fold them once in half and pack them in the top of my suitcase. 

Unpack….hang them in the closet….absolutely no wrinkles 

MIne, a few posts up:

I pack each dressy/wrinkle-prone item separately on a lightweight hanger and then in its own plastic dry cleaner bag.  After everything else is in the suitcase, I lay all the hangered items in a stack on top of the open case and fold the whole stacked package into thirds, hanger-end first.  Zip up the bag.  

Onboard, they go straight from the suitcase to hang in the wardrobe.  Been doing this for years and it really works keeping things as wrinkle free as possible for us. I don't even bother with the wrinkle release stuff. 

Teddie

Our methods are nearly identical 🙂

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 1

I pack everything in dry cleaning bags.  I don’t know how but they really keep stuff relatively wrinkle free.  I then use the bags to line drawers and shelves before I put our clothes away.  I also like that, if/when TSA opens a bag, they don’t actually touch our stuff.

1 minute ago, Katems75 said:

Why can't you take a handheld steamer?  It's just basically an electric teapot that has steam...how is that dangerous or likely to start a fire?  How is it worse than a hair dryer or curling iron?

Pretty sure the answer is no.  But I understand your point.

9 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Why can't you take a handheld steamer?  It's just basically an electric teapot that has steam...how is that dangerous or likely to start a fire?  How is it worse than a hair dryer or curling iron?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you can bring an electric tea pot either. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gerif said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you can bring an electric tea pot either. 

Probably not, but I was just trying to describe what a steamer is...something that causes water to boil. Teapots and steamers are allowed in college dorms so I would think they are safe in cruise cabins as well.  Just surprised, would rather steam than coat my clothes with Downy.

15 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Probably not, but I was just trying to describe what a steamer is...something that causes water to boil. Teapots and steamers are allowed in college dorms so I would think they are safe in cruise cabins as well.  Just surprised, would rather steam than coat my clothes with Downy.

I think it's more about the amount of current that heat-producing appliances draw than whether they could instigate a fire. They could cause an overload, which might start an electrical fire. If there's an electrical expert out there who can concur, or correct me, please chime in (and I'm sure someone will).

37 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

A fire in a college dorm and a fire in a cruise ship cabin are not even close to the same thing. 
Your argument is ludicrous 

46 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

I think it's more about the amount of current that heat-producing appliances draw than whether they could instigate a fire. They could cause an overload, which might start an electrical fire. If there's an electrical expert out there who can concur, or correct me, please chime in (and I'm sure someone will).

I agree with you... I think it's about the electrical needs, not the heat output.  Calling @chengkp75.

Wrinkle sprays like Downy pretty good.  Steam bathroom by running hot water in shower or pay for pressing services.  Worth a few dollars for those pieces you care about.   We allow a misc fund for laundry and dry cleaning on our cruises.  

Edited by Cruise a holic