Would you like robots on a cruise?

bladerunner6

As far as I know no cruise line has made any suggestion of robots but I saw this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/robot-waiters-future-restaurants-think-200059621.html

How would you feel about them being used by cruise lines?

Personally I would be against it because I like the human element. I want to be treated like a person by another person.  I like being able to thank a staff member instead of just being exposed to a machine.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Like I said I have seen absolutely no indication in any way any cruise line has given this any consideration.  So please don’t take this as a report on the cruise industry.  There has never been any comment from any executive in the industry advocating this sort of technology.

This is completely hypothetical and extraordinarily unlikely to say the very least.

It's already happening on land, with some hotels:

https://hoteltechnologynews.com/2022/09/how-hotels-are-using-robots-to-reduce-costs-improve-operations-and-enhance-the-guest-experience/

They can deliver towels, coffee, other supplies...

I don't know what the "latest and greatest" (?) is.

They were also used when Covid hit, supposedly to add more distancing.  (Were those same robots already ordered, but the hotels just had another "explanation" for using them?)

And some are being used to disinfect hospital rooms (or at the least, being tested for that):

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/robots-disinfect-hospital-rooms-with-ultra-violet-light

GC

I used the robot bartender on Royal and it was ok but not something I would like to see all of the time. A little miffed that I had to tip the machine but I do understand that a human has to restock things.

3 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

As far as I know no cruise line has made any suggestion of robots but I saw this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/robot-waiters-future-restaurants-think-200059621.html

How would you feel about them being used by cruise lines?

Personally I would be against it because I like the human element. I want to be treated like a person by another person.  I like being able to thank a staff member instead of just being exposed to a machine.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Like I said I have seen absolutely no indication in any way any cruise line has given this any consideration.  So please don’t take this as a report on the cruise industry.  There has never been any comment from any executive in the industry advocating this sort of technology.

This is completely hypothetical and extraordinarily unlikely to say the very least.

I guess I was wrong- but are the robots Royal Caribbean is using to save money or entertain?

I appreciate some of the automation like self pour beverages.  Maybe they use robots in the kitchen already?  I would just love if they had better apps first.  I wouldn’t mind ordering food by app, making reservations, etc… but they can’t seem to get that right.  

There are most likely many positions that are not front-facing that could be automated.  I wouldn't mind at all.  Some of the busy front-facing positions could be augmented with automation.  It would not bother me one bit.  

I do agree with Mary229 about apps not getting things right. As someone who was a system test engineer for decades, I see where corners were cut in the testing area all the times.   The world needs fewer coders and more testers!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

I guess I was wrong- but are the robots Royal Caribbean is using to save money or entertain?

Entertainment.  The bartenders still need human staff to assist people in ordering, and the ones in the show lounge are in addition to a full cast of entertainers.

But it's a start.  I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of robots or AI eventually replace humans in certain areas.  

3 hours ago, bladerunner6 said:

Viking Ocean have used sanitation robots using UV light since they resumed operations after COVID. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking Ocean have used sanitation robots using UV light since they resumed operations after COVID. 

But that is not so people want a human connection to.  

I want a human smiling at me and making me feel special when greeting me in the dining room, calling my bingo numbers, telling what time the sail away party is, doing my lovely wife’s nails, etc.

We sailed on Margaritaville at Sea a few months ago. For such a low budget and bare bones cruise lines, I was surprised to see a robot waiter at Frank and Lola’s (their pizza venue). Nothing too high tech. You’d order your pizza at the counter and it would be delivered by the robot. It was more of a gimmick than human replacement.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

No way.   If you remove your service charges the dang robots would Terminate you.

C'mon now, let's be serious about this.  The question was about robots, not regenerating cyborgs with political aspirations!

We have robot "servers" at one of our local restaurants. For now it's a gimmick rather than a serious means to replace servers. They are essentially a roomba with a shelf on top that goes to the correct table and says "please take your food". They can't take orders, can't ask if you need anything else, rely on a person to load them up with food. There is a very long way to go before robots could replace the hospitality side. But, for now they are a fun novelty. 

There will absolutely be robots in the future. When? Who knows? As the workforce continues to refuse to do certain jobs, labor soars in coast, and is in short supply, AI companies will swoop in with solutions that will be tough to refuse. Not to mention the mess that cruise lines are in. It could be a godsend if done correctly.

Will they replace all staff on board? No. They would be wise to start with a lot more of the "behind the scenes labor." The robot bartenders are a gimmick that don't provide the same vibe as good bartenders.

• Like 1

Put robots poolside and have them time how long empty chairs stay unoccupied with personal belongings on them.  When the time limit is reached, the robot can remove the articles and place them in "storage".

If someone is angry about their towel or book being moved, they can argue with the robot.

15 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Entertainment.  The bartenders still need human staff to assist people in ordering, and the ones in the show lounge are in addition to a full cast of entertainers.

But it's a start.  I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of robots or AI eventually replace humans in certain areas.  

Depending on which movie or novel one watches or reads they could replace humans in all areas. 😲🤭

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Put robots poolside and have them time how long empty chairs stay unoccupied with personal belongings on them.  When the time limit is reached, the robot can remove the articles and place them in "storage".

If someone is angry about their towel or book being moved, they can argue with the robot.

Yeah, the robots could occupy the chairs that are legitimately being saved.   Time up, robot makes the chair available and incinerates the chair hogs flip flops.   I like it.  

• Like 1