Overpaid and RCCL says tough luck, you paid too soon.

bentl1

You choose at one point to pay the price.  You agreed to Royal's terms.  Live with it.

There's no doubt in my mind on all my cruises someone paid less than I did and someone paid more than I did.  Maybe the ones who paid less owe us?  Is this the world you live in?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CFLRetired said:

You choose at one point to pay the price.  You agreed to Royal's terms.  Live with it.

There's no doubt in my mind on all my cruises someone paid less than I did and someone paid more than I did.  Maybe the ones who paid less owe us?  Is this the world you live in?

Can you imagine if everyone on the ship compared notes on what they paid?  Mayhem would ensue.  Just pay what you think is reasonable and don't look back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CFLRetired said:

- When I book far in advance, I assume the price is going to come down between the booking date and the payment date.  It usually does.  

- I'm sure someone paid more and someone else paid less than me, but what I don't know doesn't hurt me nearly as much as what I do know.  

• Like 1

DD and I were flying from CT to FL & got a great deal on non-stops on Delta, $49 each (yeah this was maybe 15 years ago!). When we started to board, the gate agent pulled us aside & told us they had to change our seat assignments.  Yup, first class baby!  Can’t imagine what those seats actually cost.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:08 AM, bentl1 said:

Actually, RCCL did have a policy a few years ago of increasing prices even after you were paid in full citing excessive fuel costs. 

That was done ... 15 years ago.

Complaining about things now compared to how they were 15 years ago just means you need to keep up with the times.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 9:41 PM, fredmdcruisers said:

Booking early is not always the best price.

It's always in discussion.  Committing sometimes 3 years ahead (and giving sometimes a huge deposit amount - certain cruise lines collect 25%) and realizing a couple weeks prior to a cruise that a lates fare is thousands less than yours!  Or waiting until last moment for a cruise you like and seeing a substantial price increase! Or being happy by booking well in advance (I booked my last cruise I came back from in June 2019; there were 30% not sold cabins 2 weeks prior to embarkation; nevertheless, the cruise increased price by 25% vs my price for the same cabin category stating that that price was a 20% discount promotion).  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That was done ... 15 years ago.

Complaining about things now compared to how they were 15 years ago just means you need to keep up with the times.

Fuel surcharge is actually still a policy, but just like the "no adjustment after final payment date" it is in the contract and is agreed to

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:07 PM, bentl1 said:

We realized about two weeks ago ... I know Princess will refund the diff ... we've sailed with them for years and it's happened before. 

Recent posts on the Cruise Critic Princess board state Princess will NOT refund the "diff".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm missing something here about the upgrade.  You can't get any kind of price match or such after final payment, but there's nothing saying you can't upgrade.  When you upgrade, you pay the difference between what you paid and the current price.  If the upgraded room is less, wouldn't they just let you upgrade?  Its rare, but I remember a situation when I cruised on Anthem in 2016.  The price plummeted after final payment and I discovered a balcony room was only $80.00 more than what i had originally paid for my interior.  I upgraded paying the $80.00 but it included a $150.00 OBC, so in essence, I got an upgrade for $70.00 net gain.

• Like 2

So sorry this happened to you, @bentl1. It can definitely be frustrating to see that the fare dropped after you paid - especially by that amount! I think we've all been where you are at one point or other, so I think we can all understand the feeling. New policies can be frustrating and have its adjustment period. We just have to be even more diligent with deal hunting these days! But y'know, it's always such a lovely time on Royal ships and I hope you'll feel better once you step onboard for your vacation! Maybe you'll have an exceptionally good time while you're onboard this time! Hope you won't let this ruin your lovely cruise 🙂 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, poocher said:

DD and I were flying from CT to FL & got a great deal on non-stops on Delta, $49 each (yeah this was maybe 15 years ago!). When we started to board, the gate agent pulled us aside & told us they had to change our seat assignments.  Yup, first class baby!  Can’t imagine what those seats actually cost.

Boy, they really overcharged all the others in first class.  I sure hope they have them a credit for the difference.  😂😂

I got a 1st class upgrade a few years ago  when my flight was delayed and I had to catch a different connecting flight.  I dealt  with the change before even boarding the first flight and the guy at the gate must have done it for me.  Everyone was so rude to him and I wasn’t.   Have to assume he was thanking me for simply not being a jerk like all the others.   I had zero reason for getting an upgrade.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Boy, they really overcharged all the others in first class.  I sure hope they have them a credit for the difference.  😂😂

I got a 1st class upgrade a few years ago  when my flight was delayed and I had to catch a different connecting flight.  I dealt  with the change before even boarding the first flight and the guy at the gate must have done it for me.  Everyone was so rude to him and I wasn’t.   Have to assume he was thanking me for simply not being a jerk like all the others.   I had zero reason for getting an upgrade.  

I have been fortunate 3 times.  I agree, being nice may be the key.  Amazing that people just don’t seem to get that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

I'm missing something here about the upgrade.  You can't get any kind of price match or such after final payment, but there's nothing saying you can't upgrade.  When you upgrade, you pay the difference between what you paid and the current price.  If the upgraded room is less, wouldn't they just let you upgrade?  Its rare, but I remember a situation when I cruised on Anthem in 2016.  The price plummeted after final payment and I discovered a balcony room was only $80.00 more than what i had originally paid for my interior.  I upgraded paying the $80.00 but it included a $150.00 OBC, so in essence, I got an upgrade for $70.00 net gain.

2016 vs 2023

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caz L. said:

So sorry this happened to you, @bentl1. It can definitely be frustrating to see that the fare dropped after you paid - especially by that amount! I think we've all been where you are at one point or other, so I think we can all understand the feeling. New policies can be frustrating and have its adjustment period. We just have to be even more diligent with deal hunting these days! But y'know, it's always such a lovely time on Royal ships and I hope you'll feel better once you step onboard for your vacation! Maybe you'll have an exceptionally good time while you're onboard this time! Hope you won't let this ruin your lovely cruise 🙂 

Nothing is new here really.

This policy about no changes after final payment was in place in 2003 when we started cruising. First policy I learned about.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Fuel surcharge is actually still a policy, but just like the "no adjustment after final payment date" it is in the contract and is agreed to

I didn't say it wasn't a policy and not agreed to now.

I replied to a claim it was only a few years ago, when it was actually 15 years ago that it was applied.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

2016 vs 2023

What's different between 2016 and 2023?  We started cruising in 2013 and there was no refund/OBC for lower cabin prices after final payment.  You could (and we did) upgrade to a better cabin and be "credited" for what you've already paid.  

• Like 1

We never pay until final payment day.  Once they have your money.....you have no recourse.  Rules are rules.  BTW, we book way in advance, we've never lost any money doing it that way.  I've checked all our cruises on final payment day and there haven't been any that were cheaper than what we booked 1 to 2 yrs out.  All our reductions and there have been many were done before that date.  That's my method and I won't be changing it.  Have found some real steals last minute but that's the exception.

Edited by BecciBoo

53 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We never pay until final payment day.  Once they have your money.....you have no recourse.  Rules are rules.  BTW, we book way in advance, we've never lost any money doing it that way.  I've checked all our cruises on final payment day and there haven't been any that were cheaper than what we booked 1 to 2 yrs out.  All our reductions and there have been many were done before that date.  That's my method and I won't be changing it.  Have found some real steals last minute but that's the exception.

Prices go down after final payment when people and agencies return held cabins. Often there are great cabin choices available then also.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:59 PM, bentl1 said:

This is our 39th year of sailing with RCCL. In 39 years we've NEVER had an upgrade even once. If fact, we've had no consideration ever, for the years of loyalty. When RCCL finally went "computerized" we never got credit for four sailings we took in the Eighty's. Even after providing pictures of us on their ships, they only gave us credit for two out of six sailings. So, I gave up on that years ago. Now, another big slap in the face against us, on what may be our last cruise with them, we paid almost $1000 more than the current pricing for the exact same cabin ... the ship is no where near capacity for the sailing in three weeks. Literally, I've spent hours on the phone with RCCL and spoken to countless people about getting fair compensation. I've asked for one of three things. #1 refund the overpayment or #2 upgrade the cabin or #3 give us the liquor package and internet (which is actually less than what we overpaid). Without exception, every single person very, very emphatically told me I'm wasting my time ... RCCL will do nothing. I've even spoken directly to multiple regional sales managers and sent emails sharing the issue. We booked directly with RCCL while on another ship. I'm at a loss of what to do next ... trying to reach anyone at the Miami headquarters is pointless as they won't tell you who to talk to, and even if you did, they won't connect you. Has this happened to you before? We feel cheated and unappreciated ... ideas???

To me, the crux of your post is that because you've been loyal, and because you've never had an upgrade, and because you did not receive the cruise credits you believe you were entitled to, you now believe that RCI owes YOU something.  I do not see how you have a leg to stand on as their policy is clearly documented.

RCI is not some mom and pop operation with whom you can bargain and offer trade-offs. (Last time I looked, there were no chickens and goats roaming the offices of RCI).

Give it up, already,

Teddie

• Like 1