Crew Fund

bogey

I’ve read that some folks, in lieu of tipping, donate to the Crew Welfare Fund.  I think this is a great idea and am seeking guidance. What do folks think is a donation amount that will adequately reflect our appreciation to the magnificent crew? I'm thinking something in the range of $10-$20 per day. (We will be onboard for 24 days)   I would love to know how this might compare with what others have done.  

I understand this is a very personal decision, but would really appreciate thoughts. 

1 minute ago, bogey said:

I’ve read that some folks, in lieu of tipping, donate to the Crew Welfare Fund.  I think this is a great idea and am seeking guidance. What do folks think is a donation amount that will adequately reflect our appreciation to the magnificent crew? I'm thinking something in the range of $10-$20 per day. (We will be onboard for 24 days)   I would love to know how this might compare with what others have done.  

I understand this is a very personal decision, but would really appreciate thoughts. 

Just put in what you feel like giving, there is no right or wrong.

• Like 3

Agree with the advice Mr. Silver above suggests.  We gave to the this fund at the end each of our two segments in March and April of this year (Puerto Williams to Capetown, and Capetown to the Seychelles (Mahe).

During almost six weeks on board the Silver Cloud;  learned more about the Crew Wellness fund (i.e., this is what the Crew calls this fund).  FYI, the Silversea Crew Wellness fund (to Silversea guests known as the Crew Health and Welfare fund). On board Silversea ships, there is a Crew Wellness President (on our Silver Cloud voyages, the Crew Wellness President was Ivan, Chief of Security). As President, he makes reservations off the ship at select restaurant’s the crew may want to go too. The crew who select to go, then get the opportunity to eat a delish meal when they are  off the Silver Cloud.

When almost all guests on board enjoyed a traditional South African BBQ off the Silver Cloud a few weeks ago, Ivan the Crew Wellness President made reservations and paid for those Silversea crew who wanted to eat off the ship.  Ivan, a few months ago as President of CW, was able to hand out $180 to every crew member on board the Silver cloud due to the generous donations of Silver Cloud guests.

Also, the Crew Wellness President bought all Silversea Crew Apple Smart watches to help them keep connected on board and connected with their families back at their home country.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Having never donated to the Crew Fund before (we always give envelopes with cash to the butler and room attendant), how do you go about doing it?   Go down to Reception and make the donation there?

And, perhaps this is a bit selfish thinking, but is there a way that it becomes known to the butler and others that you've done this (other than saying "I've given to the Crew Fund rather than to you personally").   Or do you do it in addition to the cash gratuities you give out?

27 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Having never donated to the Crew Fund before (we always give envelopes with cash to the butler and room attendant), how do you go about doing it?   Go down to Reception and make the donation there?

And, perhaps this is a bit selfish thinking, but is there a way that it becomes known to the butler and others that you've done this (other than saying "I've given to the Crew Fund rather than to you personally").   Or do you do it in addition to the cash gratuities you give out?

Go to Reception and they will organize it. You cannot use credits you have on your account. You need to put in real money (in our case via credit card). I think that there must be some sort of list in the crew quarters as we have always been thanked by crew members.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Or do you do it in addition to the cash gratuities you give out?

I think that I am missing something here - I thought that Silversea fares were "all inclusive" which includes tips/gratuties

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, david63 said:

I think that I am missing something here - I thought that Silversea fares were "all inclusive" which includes tips/gratuties

Silversea fares are inclusive of gratuities. That doesn't stop some people tipping individual members of the crew. That is their choice. We chose to make a donation to the crew fund. I do not see that as a tip. It is not personalised but recognises that many have made our vacation a success. It is used for general purposes relating to crew- Recreational facilities on the crew deck, emergency travel etc Tip or don't tip. Make a donation to the crew fund or don't. It's a free world (sort of).

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We as miserable Aussie tippers do both. Our butler and room attendant are given a tip and we also donate to the crew fund. We take an envelope down to reception after we board.

In pre covid days those who donated to the crew fund had names plus photos up on the crew noyice board. Told this by several crew and over the years several have thanked us in person.

But it is just our choice and no one is forced to donate to the crew fund. In fact a great number of guests on any cruise have no knowledge that it exists. Basically it is spread by word of mouth. In our case we were told by a lady known here as Duct Tape.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, david63 said:

Part of what I expect to get on an "all inclusive" line is freedom from the need to guess what reasonable amounts of additional tips are required. If is it broadly expected that "additional amounts" will be given...thank you...I will go somewhere else.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pavementends said:

Part of what I expect to get on an "all inclusive" line is freedom from the need to guess what reasonable amounts of additional tips are required. If is it broadly expected that "additional amounts" will be given...thank you...I will go somewhere else.

No additional tips are required. 

It is not broadly expected that additional amounts will be given. 
SS is all inclusive as described on it’s website. 
You should not feel under the slightest obligation to pay more than your cruise fare. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, jollyjones said:

No additional tips are required. 

It is not broadly expected that additional amounts will be given. 
SS is all inclusive as described on it’s website. 
You should not feel under the slightest obligation to pay more than your cruise fare. 

It is indeed the case that "no additional tips are required."

However, tips are certainly expected by butlers, suite attendants, as well as those waiters, bartenders, and pool staff who have served you repeatedly and effectively during your cruise. I discussed this matter recently with a senior manager in the hotel department, who acknowledged that staff expect tips and that the cruise line accepts this reality because "it motivates people." 

In my hundreds of nights on Silversea, I have come to know many staff quite well, and I have discussed this matter with them.  Yes, they appreciate good comments on the end-of-cruise survey. But good comments do not help pay school fees for their children.  

I really think that Silversea is misleading in saying "gratuities included."  This means nothing more than the crew are paid a salary. I wish Silversea raised fares, increased salaries for the wonderful and hard-working crew,  and announced that gratuities were forbidden and that any crew member accepting a gratuity would not receive further contracts on Silversea .

3 hours ago, WesW said:

Ivan, a few months ago as President of CW, was able to hand out $180 to every crew member on board the Silver cloud due to the generous donations of Silver Cloud guests.

Also, the Crew Wellness President bought all Silversea Crew Apple Smart watches to help them keep connected on board and connected with their families back at their home country.

This is a stunning report.  

As a search of my posts would reveal, I am a regular contributor to the Crew Welfare Fund and encourage others to contribute.

My understanding was that (to quote from the thank you letter I receive from the Captain or HR Manager) the fund is generally used "to finance additional activities for the entire crew. These may range from shore excursions to crew parties and equipment for the various crew sports and entertainment."

I have never sailed on a Silversea expedition ship (though I have sailed a number of times on Cloud.)   But it must have been a very generous group of guests who provided nearly $40,000 for these $180 bonuses if the full complement of 212 crew were on board and funds for Apple Watches (let's say conservatively $200 per watch, or another $40,000.)

Was Ivan printing money?

2 hours ago, Observer said:

It is indeed the case that "no additional tips are required."

However, tips are certainly expected by butlers, suite attendants, as well as those waiters, bartenders, and pool staff who have served you repeatedly and effectively during your cruise. I discussed this matter recently with a senior manager in the hotel department, who acknowledged that staff expect tips and that the cruise line accepts this reality because "it motivates people." 

In my hundreds of nights on Silversea, I have come to know many staff quite well, and I have discussed this matter with them.  Yes, they appreciate good comments on the end-of-cruise survey. But good comments do not help pay school fees for their children.  

I really think that Silversea is misleading in saying "gratuities included."  This means nothing more than the crew are paid a salary. I wish Silversea raised fares, increased salaries for the wonderful and hard-working crew,  and announced that gratuities were forbidden and that any crew member accepting a gratuity would not receive further contracts on Silversea .

Wish I could pay more income taxes, too, said nobody - ever.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Observer said:

4 hours ago, Observer said:

This is a stunning report.  

As a search of my posts would reveal, I am a regular contributor to the Crew Welfare Fund and encourage others to contribute.

My understanding was that (to quote from the thank you letter I receive from the Captain or HR Manager) the fund is generally used "to finance additional activities for the entire crew. These may range from shore excursions to crew parties and equipment for the various crew sports and entertainment."

I have never sailed on a Silversea expedition ship (though I have sailed a number of times on Cloud.)   But it must have been a very generous group of guests who provided nearly $40,000 for these $180 bonuses if the full complement of 212 crew were on board and funds for Apple Watches (let's say conservatively $200 per watch, or another $40,000.)

Curious if the senior hotel person saying that staff expects tips was Martin.  

The post by WesW is the best I've read about the topic and find no reason to question it.  That template letter you receive from Captain or HR Manager has not had a word altered for over twenty years.  Maybe Wes' post was misread by me, but it did not imply that any purchases were made based upon a single segment of crew fund contributions.

• Like 1

I have never felt any pressure from a butler,room attendant,waiter,bar staff or any other SS crew member to tip.Nor has anyone put pressure on me to donate to the crew fund.

I talk to many of the crew and not once have any raised the subject of tips. But quite a few have told me that compared to other cruise lines that they have worked for salaries are at least equal and usually higher than other lines.

What also comes out is that they find more respect at SS than comparable lines. On this cruise one was from Crystal and she is not going back there for that reason as well as liking the fact that SS does a lot of recruiting for more senior roles from their current staff.

Further more since retirement I am gradually going through my mess. Just before leaving for this cruise I found 2 hand written notes, one from an entertainer and one from a member of the engine room crew ,both thanked me for our donation to the crew fund. Not something I think would happen if they were expecting anything from a guest.

So if you don't want to tip or donate to the crew fund that is fine. To use this as an excuse to not cruise with SS is just ridiculous. And I would assume on any other cruise line that says gratuities included also has guests that tip or donate to a crew fund if there is one.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, drron29 said:

We as miserable Aussie tippers do both. Our butler and room attendant are given a tip and we also donate to the crew fund. We take an envelope down to reception after we board.

In pre covid days those who donated to the crew fund had names plus photos up on the crew noyice board. Told this by several crew and over the years several have thanked us in person.

But it is just our choice and no one is forced to donate to the crew fund. In fact a great number of guests on any cruise have no knowledge that it exists. Basically it is spread by word of mouth. In our case we were told by a lady known here as Duct Tape.

Well done.

Australians generally think Tipping is a town in China.

20 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I have never felt any pressure from a butler,room attendant,waiter,bar staff or any other SS crew member to tip.Nor has anyone put pressure on me to donate to the crew fund.

I talk to many of the crew and not once have any raised the subject of tips. But quite a few have told me that compared to other cruise lines that they have worked for salaries are at least equal and usually higher than other lines.

What also comes out is that they find more respect at SS than comparable lines. On this cruise one was from Crystal and she is not going back there for that reason as well as liking the fact that SS does a lot of recruiting for more senior roles from their current staff.

Further more since retirement I am gradually going through my mess. Just before leaving for this cruise I found 2 hand written notes, one from an entertainer and one from a member of the engine room crew ,both thanked me for our donation to the crew fund. Not something I think would happen if they were expecting anything from a guest.

So if you don't want to tip or donate to the crew fund that is fine. To use this as an excuse to not cruise with SS is just ridiculous. And I would assume on any other cruise line that says gratuities included also has guests that tip or donate to a crew fund if there is one.

Contributing to the crew welfare fund is a popular thing to do on Seabourn.

It is appreciated and a way to share with those that we do not see above deck on a daily basis.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I

Me either. But as I'm Australian I may not notice.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Observer said:

I discussed this matter recently with a senior manager in the hotel department, who acknowledged that staff expect tips and that the cruise line accepts this reality because "it motivates people." 

That comment from a "senior manager" is totally out of order and they should be sacked.

The cruise line policy is that tips are not required so to say that the staff expect them is totally wrong - however I would accept the statement that staff "appreciate" tips. Where a cruise line has inclusive tips I will only tip if I receive exceptional service where somebody goes over and beyond.

As for a crew welfare fund that is tipping by the back door. It is not my responsibility to fund crew welfare - that is the cruise line's responsibility and I am certainly not giving money to buy the crew Apple watches.

8 hours ago, Observer said:

I wish Silversea raised fares, increased salaries for the wonderful and hard-working crew,

I am not even going to go down that route - the subject has been done to death on every cruise forum that I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Discussions and concern/stress about tipping are an ongoing topic, which is ironic, given Silversea's statement on their website (copied below) that the all-inclusive policy is designed to eliminate that worry. Based on this, definitely not expected and just do whatever you feel comfortable doing.   

Setting sail on Silversea promises peace of mind from start to finish. That means no worrying about tipping the butlers or staff. Our crew-to-guest ratio of almost 1:1 ensures flawless service from pole to pole, but with us, you never have to think about who should get a tip, how much you should give and when. It’s all included! We believe that not having to deal with tipping helps make your luxury cruise even more special and stress-free. And that is worth every penny.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Discussions and concern/stress about tipping are an ongoing topic, which is ironic, given Silversea's statement on their website (copied below) that the all-inclusive policy is designed to eliminate that worry. Based on this, definitely not expected and just do whatever you feel comfortable doing.   

Setting sail on Silversea promises peace of mind from start to finish. That means no worrying about tipping the butlers or staff. Our crew-to-guest ratio of almost 1:1 ensures flawless service from pole to pole, but with us, you never have to think about who should get a tip, how much you should give and when. It’s all included! We believe that not having to deal with tipping helps make your luxury cruise even more special and stress-free. And that is worth every penny.

Irony seems to be something that SS excels at. 

• Haha 2