Dressy shorts for boys in the MDR

ChemistBabe

I don't recall the guidelines mentioning what kids should wear.

I see you've been on Disney. Don't know how they are for dining. Maybe show your son a photo of the dining room, all made up with tablecloths, stemware and china. Have a talk about what he might wear. Seriously doubt there would be a problem for an eight year old wearing shorts. I have seen a grown man refused for shorts though.

Prince George, anyone?  Shorts for boys are for the upper class. They will be fine dining in shorts. No worries. 

People who say NO SHORTS are ridiculous, yet old sweats and a T-shirt are acceptable. And Crocs.  Let that sink in.  Many cruisers who short shame wear this outfit I wouldn't leave the house in.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Shorts for all ages and genders are acceptable anywhere on the ship at any time of the day or night. 
This despite what the fashion police would want you to believe. 

It is not fair to promise people that the dress code won’t be enforced unless you are going to be the one at the door to the MDR making that decision. If eating in the main dining room is important to someone, they should plan accordingly and pack long pants. 

As for what age it is likely to be an issue, I have no experience with bringing a child into the MDR in shorts, but my guess is that it would probably be fine, especially on smart casual nights. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Prince George, anyone?  Shorts for boys are for the upper class. They will be fine dining in shorts. No worries. 

People who say NO SHORTS are ridiculous, yet old sweats and a T-shirt are acceptable. And Crocs.  Let that sink in.  Many cruisers who short shame wear this outfit I wouldn't leave the house in.

Yet another situation where local norms and traditions can vary not only among countries, but in regions within a country.  I believe tradition will see Prince George don the long pants anytime now, if not already.  Check him out at the Coronation.  Bermuda is another example of a place where dress shorts are normal for business even. 

For me, it's the overall "look" and not necessarily the components making up the "look".  That said, I think about the only way a fellow cruiser would spoil my dinner is if they were sitting nearby and hadn't had a shower in a few days.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Adults at dinner is just fine. 

I saw people turned away in shorts on the Enchanted several times on a cruise in November. It is unfair to promise people that shorts will be allowed in the MDR. No one can predict whether the policy will be enforced on any ship on any given night. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ChemistBabe said:

Are nice shorts on children still a no-no in the MDR?

as a mom of a 12 yo boy who will not wear khaki pants I can definitely say - nobody cares what kids wear. They can definitely wear cargo or khaki shorts.

DS actually wears athletic pants from Walmart as his MDR pants , and sometimes his joggers - and nobody cares.

Like these, but solid black and solid grey:

Athletic Works Boys' Active Pants, 2-Pack, Sizes 4-18 & Husky

Oh. Yes. Forgot the crocs. That's all he wears, besides his beat up sneakers. Even to MDR.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We've found that on casual nights shorts are now acceptable for everyone in the dining room no matter what they have printed in their literature. 

They would never tell you that children couldn't wear them.                

There are still managers turning people away at the MDR for wearing shorts. It's not fair to say that it can't or won't happen. If people care about eating in the dining room, they should be prepared and pack pants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Just throwing out to the OP you and others can't speak for what the staff may or may not allow. Personally I don't care what others wear, no matter their age or gander as it's way above my pay grade. 

Neither can you so why try.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the ones that live in CA or FL?

I was born and raised in Ca and always wore long pants for school, church and going out to dinner. Do these kids wear shorts to church or upscale dining venues ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, memoak said:

I was born and raised in Ca and always wore long pants for school, church and going out to dinner. Do these kids wear shorts to church or upscale dining venues ?

Wouldn't know. We don't go to church or eat at upscale dining venues.

However, even adults wear athletic shorts and questionable outfits here to, say, Longhorn Steakhouse.

Judging by what kids wear to school even in the dead of southern winter, only my child owns pants and a jacket. 🙂

I know this is about the 'boys' - but what about the 'girls'?  and someone please post the first time they ever see a girl, tween, teen or any woman turned away at the mdr for what they are wearing.

I did notice a thread about a transgender and medallion - I guess that's a whole 'nother thread about that dress 'code'   

just be prepared to be turned away at the mdr, accept it gracefully, and move on - the mdr 'experience' ain't all that great anyway these days

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the ones that live in CA or FL?

Most children I see out and about in California wear long pants. Their parents are aware of the damage the sun can cause to the skin with implications for serious illness later in life. Plus they are aware of the problems of ticks attaching to people who wear shorts and the health problems that can cause.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Most children I see out and about in California wear long pants. Their parents are aware of the damage the sun can cause to the skin with implications for serious illness later in life. Plus they are aware of the problems of ticks attaching to people who wear shorts and the health problems that can cause.

it's not like we have no sun in GA.... or ticks.

But it's too hot to wear pants in the summer here.

Sure, when I lived in San Diego, it was 75F year round - one could wear pants any time. And it was freezing in SFO when I visited. But summers in GA or FL are brutal, in my opinion.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Agree.  Your family will be fine.  It just is not happening that people are being turned away in mass from MDR's for casual style.

If you watch, the MDR staff is having a hard enough time getting people seated and trying not to be yelled at without worrying about what passengers are wearing.  It may have been that way in the past but in our experience allows a lot of exceptions in the MDR's now.  The sky is just not falling in the MDR's over Princess "SUGGESTED" dress styles.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I guess you haven't been to my part of southern California. 😁   When it's 110 degrees F outside, kids are wearing swimwear or basketball shorts or the like.  Parents (if they care) slather sunscreen on the kids and let them play in comfortable clothes (not long, hot, jeans.)  As to the subject of this thread, I have seen many little boys in the MDR in short pants.  (I have also seen little guys in tuxes on formal night, and they are so cute!)

• Like 1

It's quite the elitist attitude to care what the person next to you is wearing in a dining room.  So long as they don't stink or cause a commotion, why does it matter this day in age?

Also, formal can mean different things, depending on where you are.  An aloha shirt is considered formal in Hawaii, so on Princess cruises to Hawaii, it's perfectly acceptable for men to wear them to the dining rooms on formal nights in lieu of a tux or suit and tie.

There are bigger fish to fry when it comes to cruise ship dining rooms.  How long is the line to get seated?  How is the service?  Was the taste and temperature of your food to your liking?  Was the meal paced well?

Back to the topic at had, never been a a cruise, regardless of what cruise line, where a family was turned away because of what a kid was not "dressed up" for formal night.  There are some posters on this board that would rather not have the kid on board to begin with, but that's another story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree.  Your family will be fine.  It just is not happening that people are being turned away in mass from MDR's for casual style.

If you watch, the MDR staff is having a hard enough time getting people seated and trying not to be yelled at without worrying about what passengers are wearing.  It may have been that way in the past but in our experience allows a lot of exceptions in the MDR's now.  The sky is just not falling in the MDR's over Princess "SUGGESTED" dress styles.  

That isn't true.  I've seen men turned away because they were wearing shorts.  It happens.  As a matter of fact, one man in our own party of 7 showed up for dinner one night in shorts and he was turned away.  He had to go back to the room to change.   He didn't throw a fit, he didn't complain, he just went and changed.

The OP asked if it was okay.  People are telling her that there is a possibility that they could be turned away.  That is all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovey1103 said:

Was recently on the Emerald and shorts were allowed in the dining room all day and all night long.

Thank you.  We will be on the Emerald in Hawaii in July, so shorts will be much preferable to pants for my boys.  By the way, when you say all day and night, do you include formal/dressy nights?