God save the king

les37b

Ok, not a heading to invoke anti or pro Uk monarchy… but more to acknowledge on the Muse they are serving special menus and showing the Coronation Live (in Panorama but also seemingly in the Venetian Lounge when I just walked paste.

Anything on the other ships in the fleet? I think we are -12 hours to GMT so quite a gap… But hey ho… plenty of champagne!

Sailing has 360 on board… but with 60 from the UK, 63 from Oz and 60 from Canada, it’s certainly potentially of interest… and even if not, still a big deal…. So we’ll done SS for that.

At least the rough seas provides cover if a few too many downed! My chair had slid several times with the waves! Loving being at sea!

20FC9F32-559E-475D-9347-9C29A162CAB1.thumb.jpeg.091dae19e78211dfd70cbe682a040d46.jpeg

• Like 6

Pro- or anti-monarchy, it's still one of those historic days that only you Brits seem able to do so well. Really, the whole organisation and spectacle is astonishing. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably 70 to 75 in Venetian and no idea how many in panorama where the chronicle said it would be shown. 

Enjoyed it. As TTS said we Brits do do this stuff well and long May the UK continue to do so. Friends in the US up at 3am to watch. Not even sure I’d do that!

Th only downside I predict is the Netflix Victim ignored show. One downside I guess.

Currently 01.29 and clocks going forward 2 hours! Yikes. Breakfast missed 4 seadays in a row! lol

Hope everyone enjoyed… and if you didn’t.. don’t begrudge those who did.

9FF148E1-CFBE-4D88-920D-1F95434BE91D.thumb.jpeg.328bb994023f542c86537008859d2bc6.jpeg

Edited by les37b
  • Like 4

Got away from the Venetian Lounge at 2.45… last man standing .. room clock is 1 hour forward! No chance of Brecky tomorrow.  

Lois… it’s British … UK and NI… one nation… one flag. At least how I see it and certainly the monarchy. The Scots, Welsh and NI would like to be included….. but not all… but that’s ok too.

2 minutes ago, les37b said:

Got away from the Venetian Lounge at 2.45… last man standing .. room clock is 1 hour forward! No chance of Brecky tomorrow.  

Lois… it’s British … UK and NI… one nation… one flag. At least how I see it and certainly the monarchy. The Scots, Welsh and NI would like to be included….. but not all… but that’s ok too.

Hi Les, so sorry, no offense intended. The "British" know how to do Pomp and Circumstance🙂

• Like 1

On the Cloud now, berthed in Jeddah so toasting with water or a mocktail.  The ship's TV was useless but managed to watch the middle of the service in HD on my laptop.  Go figure.  Missed the beginning because we were out, missed the end because Saudi immigration needed us all.  I think the Coronation and Silversea excursions have a lot in common - they go on too long with too much padding and hanging around.

26 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Les, so sorry, no offense intended. The "British" know how to do Pomp and Circumstance🙂

YES!!!  The Brits know super well how to do these lavish and involved ceremonies.  It bring back memories from being at Windsor Castle and observing these interesting "changing of the guard" activities as shown below from a 2010 visit.  

image.thumb.jpeg.7625a12d5d8531892ab563630ff6b44f.jpeg

But, as nice and colorful are these ceremonies, there is the longer-term question for all of the costs, staffing, various clothing/uniform expenses, security, etc., required to stage such "events".  Very wise comment by Fletcher in sharing: "they go on too long with too much padding and hanging around."

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

I actually would have watched, as an American, had it not been the middle of the night, and our two year old grandson was staying overnight with us.

love the pomp and circumstance.  It does cost a lot of money, but there is also a lot of revenue produced.

i actually did watch his and Princess Diana’s wedding live in the middle of the night, but I was working nights then.  Watched it in a patient’s room-a lady who also wanted to see it.  She later died, not that night but a couple of days after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I actually would have watched, as an American, had it not been the middle of the night, and our two year old grandson was staying overnight with us.

You’ll have to get yourself one of those new fangled digital video recorders.  They are fantastic as they allow you to fast forward through all of the commercials and singing (my God, I thought we sang entirely too many songs in church, but whew, the Brits take it to a whole other level) and just enjoy the action shots.  I think Silver Queen boiled down 5-hours of television coverage into a nice 1/2-hour show for me.  I will say though, it was quite interesting how many times they played “My Country, 'Tis of Thee“. 😉

• Like 2

Now I have been lucky enough to have watched two Coronations- wonder if I will make it to a third. I'd like to hope so since as noted- nobody does a better job of pageantry than the Brits. And since I am a dual citizen, I guess I can say we Brits. Although I did use one of the new fangled devices to watch since it all began at 3am here in Colorado. And it was especially moving to have the new King, the next in line William, and the next next in line George all participating. I think I heard that this is the first time in history that there would be the 3. 

• Like 3

I am usually awake at 430 am so I watched it.  I won’t be around for the next coronation, I didn’t see the last one.

Regal and regalia.

OMG the bijoux.

The fascinators. 

The history.

The magnificent steeds pulling the carriage.

Louis stole the show! His interpretations of the royal wave, he’s quite the personality. 

Appears that the Wale’s were late by three minutes and the King was not pleased at all, since he was to enter the Abbey last. He had some strong words to say inside the carriage while he waited. 

Then after he was anointed with the oil, he had trouble with his shirt and gold robe. The shirt was gaping at his midsection and he kept trying to fix it without seeming to fix it.

Had a bit of trouble putting on his glove. 

Those fabulous red arrows in the HawkT1’s…the take off in groups of three. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, les37b said:

Ok, not a heading to invoke anti or pro Uk monarchy… but more to acknowledge on the Muse they are serving special menus and showing the Coronation Live (in Panorama but also seemingly in the Venetian Lounge when I just walked paste.

Anything on the other ships in the fleet? I think we are -12 hours to GMT so quite a gap… But hey ho… plenty of champagne!

Sailing has 360 on board… but with 60 from the UK, 63 from Oz and 60 from Canada, it’s certainly potentially of interest… and even if not, still a big deal…. So we’ll done SS for that.

At least the rough seas provides cover if a few too many downed! My chair had slid several times with the waves! Loving being at sea!

20FC9F32-559E-475D-9347-9C29A162CAB1.thumb.jpeg.091dae19e78211dfd70cbe682a040d46.jpeg

Exactly same menu on the Explorer. Very enjoyable to watch this historic moment.  What an amazing.production.   But thought the the Windsor Whites looked a little smurfy with their blue decorations. Maybe the royal blue dye lot was off.   And I'm pretty sure I need a Supertunica for the next formal night. 😃

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

No offence taken… just correcting, and happy to share the accolades with the other countries that form the UK. Indeed, my reply had a glaring error… each country does have its own flag and are nations in their own right! I think I just Americanised the UK there! lol

Meanwhile our voyage has just been met with some bad news the 6 sea days is about to become 7 and not calling at Dutch Harbour. Our berth given to a cargo ship and port refusing to allow us to tender. On top, we will be battening down the hatches tonight with force 9 winds. Gonna be a bumpy ride!

• Like 1

@les37b I'm confused about the right terminology.  I thought 'British' referred only to England, Scotland and Wales [listed in alphabetical order so as not to offend...], and that the addition of Northern Island made it the United Kingdom.  So if I am referring only to residents of England I would say 'English.'  If to residents of England, Scotland and Wales, I would say 'British.'  But how do I correctly include Northern Irelanders?  I can't say 'Ukies' because that refers [perhaps derogatorily] to my people (Ukraine).

1 hour ago, les37b said:

No offence taken… just correcting, and happy to share the accolades with the other countries that form the UK. Indeed, my reply had a glaring error… each country does have its own flag and are nations in their own right! I think I just Americanised the UK there! lol

Meanwhile our voyage has just been met with some bad news the 6 sea days is about to become 7 and not calling at Dutch Harbour. Our berth given to a cargo ship and port refusing to allow us to tender. On top, we will be battening down the hatches tonight with force 9 winds. Gonna be a bumpy ride!

Bummer, I'm really looking forward to that port in my Transpacific in September. Maybe I should temper my expectations.

8 minutes ago, irvington said:

Bummer, I'm really looking forward to that port in my Transpacific in September. Maybe I should temper my expectations.

I was thinking the same thing!  As a fan of “Deadliest Catch”, I’d be ticked.  I wonder how much the excuses given were to hide the fact the captain didn’t want to ride the swells into the harbor?

• Haha 1