God save the king

les37b

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@les37b I'm confused about the right terminology.  I thought 'British' referred only to England, Scotland and Wales [listed in alphabetical order so as not to offend...], and that the addition of Northern Island made it the United Kingdom.  So if I am referring only to residents of England I would say 'English.'  If to residents of England, Scotland and Wales, I would say 'British.'  But how do I correctly include Northern Irelanders?  I can't say 'Ukies' because that refers [perhaps derogatorily] to my people (Ukraine).

That would depend who you asked.

People born in Northern Ireland are generally considered British citizens by birth under the British Nationality Act 1981 if one of their parents was either a British citizen or legally settled in the UK at the time of their birth.

However half the population would not like that title and consider themselves Irish.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

I was thinking the same thing!  As a fan of “Deadliest Catch”, I’d be ticked.  I wonder how much the excuses given were to hide the fact the captain didn’t want to ride the swells into the harbor?

The port has 2 berths, both taken by freight which apparently takes priority. He said he asked permission to tender but was denied.

I’m actually more annoyed the highlight train journey from Seward to Anchorage has been cancelled after we had boarded with a couple of dishonest reasons I know to be untrue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's easy:

Great Britain = England, Wales, Scotland

United Kingdom = the above 3 + Northern Ireland. 

British Isles = UK and Ireland. 

England and Scotland are countries, Wales a Principality and NI a province. 

Subjects of E, S and W are British. Those from NI are British, Irish or both (the choice is theirs thanks to the Good Friday Agreement). 

Under the Common Travel Area residents of the British Isles have freedom of movement throughout the 2 countries, the pricipality, the Province and the Republic in spite of the latter being a different polity. 

Couldn't be simpler! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I have learnt something - I had not realised  that Northern Irish people could have a choice of nationalities, including dual.  (Obviously too dim to read the papers properly).  I did think that Tts was from Northern Ireland, and wondered why he has an Irish passport.  Very sensible.

Lola

57 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have learnt something - I had not realised  that Northern Irish people could have a choice of nationalities, including dual.  (Obviously too dim to read the papers properly).  I did think that Tts was from Northern Ireland, and wondered why he has an Irish passport.  Very sensible.

Lola

Yes I am from NI. A Belfast boy. With a Yorkshire accent. So occasionally I get accused of being English. The very thought.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed watching the coronation of King Charles III. Big difference and a long time ago from when I was a six year old boy standing in the small village of Somerton in Oxfordshire, England waiving the British flag and shouting Long Live the Queen. Long Live the King!

10 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

It's easy:  Subjects of E, S and W are British. Those from NI are British, Irish or both (the choice is theirs thanks to the Good Friday Agreement). Under the Common Travel Area residents of the British Isles have freedom of movement throughout the 2 countries, the pricipality, the Province and the Republic in spite of the latter being a different polity.   Couldn't be simpler!  

Appreciate this great summary, background and follow-up.  Yes, that long and tangled history for the British Isles makes things challenging to say it correctly.  Just the Ireland versus Northern Ireland portions are a part of a significant and lengthy book with many, many chapters, plus varied twists and turns. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

46 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Yes I am from NI. A Belfast boy. With a Yorkshire accent. So occasionally I get accused of being English. The very thought.... 

But what is 'English'.  Most of us are mongrels; my husband was half Irish and half English, I am half Welsh, other half mainly English but with a bit of French Huguenot.  Support for teams in the Six Nations was tricky - we just knew we did not want  to support Italy or Scotland.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lincslady said:

But what is 'English'.  Most of us are mongrels; my husband was half Irish and half English, I am half Welsh, other half mainly English but with a bit of French Huguenot.  Support for teams in the Six Nations was tricky - we just knew we did not want  to support Italy or Scotland.

Wow, you think you have it awkward at Six Nations time. When my English wife and l lived in France, our Scots born son had an Italian girlfriend and our other son was born in Cardiff. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Dutch Harbor is pretty small. Was it a tender port?

Commercial vessels take priority… sounds like one to avoid given tender isn’t an option.

We were booked on the bunker hill hike… probably just as well cancelled with this wind and freezing rain!

Overall conclusion, purely based on experience since leaving Japan, the reverse schedule may be better, though this voyage is definitely not one I’d chose again. I’d return to Japan though in a heartbeat.

I’ve since heard a fair number of passengers very unhappy on learning the train journey has been cancelled. Still awaiting the real reason the booking isn’t being honoured. Depends on who you speak with… some pointing the finger at AR others suggesting SS messed up and forgot to inform guests. I’m confident it’s the latter, making it even more annoying since I flagged up the public start dates anomaly last year and again a couple of weeks before sailing and assured it was booked and transfer 100% guaranteed to be by train. I think I’m now more annoyed with this and the lack of ownership. “Logistical reasons” really doesn’t cut it.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Commercial vessels take priority… sounds like one to avoid given tender isn’t an option.

We were booked on the bunker hill hike… probably just as well cancelled with this wind and freezing rain!

Overall conclusion, purely based on experience since leaving Japan, the reverse schedule may be better, though this voyage is definitely not one I’d chose again. I’d return to Japan though in a heartbeat.

I’ve since heard a fair number of passengers very unhappy on learning the train journey has been cancelled. Still awaiting the real reason the booking isn’t being honoured. Depends on who you speak with… some pointing the finger at AR others suggesting SS messed up and forgot to inform guests. I’m confident it’s the latter, making it even more annoying since I flagged up the public start dates anomaly last year and again a couple of weeks before sailing and assured it was booked and transfer 100% guaranteed to be by train. I think I’m now more annoyed with this and the lack of ownership. “Logistical reasons” really doesn’t cut it.

Sounds a little like the 100% guarantee that we were offered before we were trapped in a cabin with no lights, phone or tv for a week after the Spirit stretch. Did they add the "We are Silversea" bit at the end of the guarantee? I made the mistake of taking that part as a statement of pride, not a disclaimer. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

It's easy:

Great Britain = England, Wales, Scotland

United Kingdom = the above 3 + Northern Ireland. 

British Isles = UK and Ireland. 

England and Scotland are countries, Wales a Principality and NI a province. 

Subjects of E, S and W are British. Those from NI are British, Irish or both (the choice is theirs thanks to the Good Friday Agreement). 

Under the Common Travel Area residents of the British Isles have freedom of movement throughout the 2 countries, the pricipality, the Province and the Republic in spite of the latter being a different polity. 

Couldn't be simpler! 

Thanks.  That's so much easier than the US, where everybody is a citizen of the same country but several states want to impose passport controls...  [and that works both ways!]

6 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Sounds a little like the 100% guarantee that we were offered before we were trapped in a cabin with no lights, phone or tv for a week after the Spirit stretch. Did they add the "We are Silversea" bit at the end of the guarantee? I made the mistake of taking that part as a statement of pride, not a disclaimer. 

To be honest, I think they are a little different. They should never have given that sort of guarantee on an inaugural sailing. I completely understand your concerns and why you asked the question. It’s ready and hoping all problems ironed out should have been their highest appraisal (IMHO.) They were also wrong to sell out so you couldn’t be moved. That said, I think on your trip, the thing I would have exploded on was your tender being hijacked by a senior manager. In my mind, doing such a think should receive disciplinary action and showed complete contempt. Unforgivable in my eyes.

I suppose the answer I got could also be considered as giving the words I wanted to hear, but the answer was a binary yes or no. They simply didn’t check I guess despite flagging things up: The cancellation took no blame at all and suggested it was someone else’s fault, which is simply not true.

Obviously since this involves a third party, I do intend to ask them if SS insist it’s their fault. It still could be, but noises on the ship suggest the train was never booked and they simply forget to inform guests until already boarded.

Had we been aware, we would have transferred to the September reverse crossing. Unfortunately the response is never mind… and since it was included in your fare, no compensation or refund… just like the missing port and “free excursion”. (Ananther reason I dislike D2D and would much prefer a fare that didn’t include…. Without the awful P2P penalties.

Edited by les37b

7 hours ago, les37b said:

That said, I think on your trip, the thing I would have exploded on was your tender being hijacked by a senior manager. In my mind, doing such a think should receive disciplinary action and showed complete contempt. Unforgivable in my eyes.

I Suppose promoting her to President and CEO is punishment enough!

7 hours ago, les37b said:

I suppose the answer I got could also be considered as giving the words I wanted to hear, but the answer was a binary yes or no. They simply didn’t check I guess despite flagging things up: The cancellation took no blame at all and suggested it was someone else’s fault, which is simply not true.

I Really despise this culture of corporate dishonesty. You flagged this anomaly with the train up months ago Les and I have been following along since. Like you, had they been honest at the time, we would have simply switched to another sailing. We were also offered 100% guarantees at the time which, had I been a little wiser, would have taken with a pinch of salt. They surely cannot be so dim as to believe they won't be found out so that only leaves your suggestion of contempt as the most likely reason they keep repeating this behaviour.

• Like 2

I have been to Dutch Harbor on an expedition ship, which was small. We just managed to squeeze in amongst the other vessels. I was intrigued so did look up the port and it appears only one cruise ship can dock if at all. In my elder mindstate I often do not recall size correctly.

In this instance I recalled the available dockage space as “small” so that is why I wondered if cruise ships tender.  It is a busy port. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Suppose promoting her to President and CEO is punishment enough!

I Really despise this culture of corporate dishonesty. You flagged this anomaly with the train up months ago Les and I have been following along since. Like you, had they been honest at the time, we would have simply switched to another sailing. We were also offered 100% guarantees at the time which, had I been a little wiser, would have taken with a pinch of salt. They surely cannot be so dim as to believe they won't be found out so that only leaves your suggestion of contempt as the most likely reason they keep repeating this behaviour.

I hadn’t realised that was who it was, but not surprised.

I suspect when it was pointed out last year, the respondent even after the information given than likely would affect the ability to run, didn’t flag it up to anyone in operations and simply gave a lazy answer. Inexcusable given the importance, but since it’s now being given as the reason it wasn’t booked (more likely than cancelled given how charter bookings work), then the guarantee given 2 weeks before sailing is what I want to find out. The cruise ticket stated the transfer was being dealt with by Alaskan Adventure. I called them. They only deal with coaches. Silversea assured me that my transfer was definitely train despite what that ticket said. (Ironically, I still had my doubts on this response.) Two things. That ticket suggests they knew damned well before the email sent after we boarded.

That email suggested “logistical difficulties”.

I’m still awaiting a reply to what that means. The ship at first were quick to say there were rail defects (which if true would be a completely valid reason). But since, the ship are saying it was because AR don’t start running until 4 days later….. something I’d flagged up 6 months ago and brushed aside.

Net result, “you are not on the train journey you bought, but going by coach. Tough luck buster.” … no hands up we messed up, no compensation, not even a partial refund. Some might suggest it’s only a small thing, but it’s a huge part of this journey and the “excuse” was highlighted last year. That’s why it’s inexcusable and I intend to dig deeper and not let drop until the lame “logistical” reason is pinpointed. I think this has made me more angry than the actual highlight train being missed… and that somehow having a 4h15m train being turned into a 3h coach was doing us a favour.

I suspect many will just accept the reason as valid and also point (as intended) as Alaskan Railways being to blame. I suspect SS know that. But there are more than a few  on this voyage who intend to make their thoughts known when we get home. This will be the second voyage in a row, I’ve not made a future booking and very much doubt I will again unless there’s a good deal on offer. That decision is not train related, just general dissatisfaction with the pricing policies.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, les37b said:

I hadn’t realised that was who it was, but not surprised.

I suspect when it was pointed out last year, the respondent even after the information given than likely would affect the ability to run, didn’t flag it up to anyone in operations and simply gave a lazy answer. Inexcusable given the importance, but since it’s now being given as the reason it wasn’t booked (more likely than cancelled given how charter bookings work), then the guarantee given 2 weeks before sailing is what I want to find out. The cruise ticket stated the transfer was being dealt with by Alaskan Adventure. I called them. They only deal with coaches. Silversea assured me that my transfer was definitely train despite what that ticket said. (Ironically, I still had my doubts on this response.) Two things. That ticket suggests they knew damned well before the email sent after we boarded.

That email suggested “logistical difficulties”.

I’m still awaiting a reply to what that means. The ship at first were quick to say there were rail defects (which if true would be a completely valid reason). But since, the ship are saying it was because AR don’t start running until 4 days later….. something I’d flagged up 6 months ago and brushed aside.

Net result, “you are not on the train journey you bought, but going by coach. Tough luck buster.” … no hands up we messed up, no compensation, not even a partial refund. Some might suggest it’s only a small thing, but it’s a huge part of this journey and the “excuse” was highlighted last year. That’s why it’s inexcusable and I intend to dig deeper and not let drop until the lame “logistical” reason is pinpointed. I think this has made me more angry than the actual highlight train being missed… and that somehow having a 4h15m train being turned into a 3h coach was doing us a favour.

I suspect many will just accept the reason as valid and also point (as intended) as Alaskan Railways being to blame. I suspect SS know that. But there are more than a few  on this voyage who intend to make their thoughts known when we get home. This will be the second voyage in a row, I’ve not made a future booking and very much doubt I will again unless there’s a good deal on offer. That decision is not train related, just general dissatisfaction with the pricing policies.

Have you tried asking Alaskan railroad about the "Rail defects" that SS are claiming that they have on their lines Les? I'm sure they would be interested if their safety record is being brought into question. This was what I found so infuriating at the time of our sub-optimal experience. You are passed from pillar to post from one person that either hasn't got a clue or lies through their teeth to the next. They just make it up as they go along and that does seem to be the culture there. It looks like they havent improved much. Did we ever hear any more about the data leak that wasn't a data leak?

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 5:38 PM, Techno123 said:

the troops raising their hats for the 3 cheers that sent tingles down my spine.

Same here Techno, w only a few drops of British blood mixed with the Dutch and Norwegian in my veins.  

• Like 1