The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 17th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Pack Rat Day, World Hypertension Day, and World Telecommunications and Information Society Day

The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.--John Green, Looking for Alaska

Meal Suggestion for today - Sheet-Pan Burrata Caprese Gnocchi
Drink of the Day - Peach Iced Tea
Wine of the Day - Col Solare Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Mountain, Washington State
Destination of the Day - Falmouth, Jamaica

Today in History:
1527 Pánfilo de Narváez departs Spain to explore Florida with 600 men - by 1536 only 4 survive

1875 1st Kentucky Derby: Oliver Lewis aboard Aristides wins in 2:37.75

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Flam, Norway 0700-1800

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 1000-2200

Oosterdam

Alicante, Spain 0700-1700

Rotterdam

Kiel, Germany 0700-1700

Volendam

Vancouver, Canada a0700

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1400-1800

Zaandam

Sydney, Nova Scotia 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Praia Da Vitoria, Azores eta 19 May

0517World.thumb.png.a7f20b98484c9a93168de5e8456962a1.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Daily and Fleet Report.

Another frosty morning here.  Ugh.   My garden and I need some warmth.

I admit to being a bit of a pack rat but I'm trying to clean up my act.  I have several bags of stuff ready for donation, I'll try and add some more to it.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  The drink looks good, hope the wine is tasty too. 

I've never been to Jamaica.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the fleet reports and Daily subjects to comment on.

High blood pressure is a silent killer and it is so important people are made aware of this.

I have been on HBP tablets for around 15 years.

Today's food and drink don't look appealing to me but I'm sure Debbie @dfish will change my mind.

I hope everyone is well and those on the care list are improving.

Screenshot_20230517_112547.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the daily report.  I try not to be a pack rat.  It’s good to be aware of hypertension and to treat it.  Forgiveness helps to remove the yoke and allows you to carry on, not always easy though.  I’m not a gnocchi fan so I’ll pass on the meal, the drink sounds tasty though.  I haven’t been to Jamaica.  Praying for everyone on the list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 24

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Good Collection of days.  DD DH was a pack rat - saving everything for that famous “someday”.  I’m working slowly away at it. Although a lot has been done, all I see is what is left.  Hypertension awareness is so important as is communication.

I like the Green quote and the meal sounds interesting, today.

I was in Jamaica long ago and it was one and done.  Not an island I enjoyed nor a port I would want on my itinerary.

Another cold one this morning - will it never end?  Plants will never get outside overnight at this rate 😔 Poured yesterday so no outside work.  Hopefully my helper is feeling better and can come this morning to work on the dandelions and help with a few things I can’t do easily. 🤞 

I am way behind compared to other years - but it’s too cold at night - the plants will catch up once it warms up (at least I hope so - they did one other time this happened a few years ago).

If not, I’ll be doomed to do overdue housework and paperwork.

Most of my memes aren’t uploading 😡 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_0632.jpeg.52811200360b8fc2ac2960a9322e10ae.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Haha 10

21 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Another frosty morning here.  Ugh.   My garden and I need some warmth.

Wish I could send you some of our warmth!  

it’s a mild 70 degrees to start the morning here in SE Texas,   Supposed to reach 88 this afternoon.  

The neighbor dogs 🐶  🐕 woke our Brutus and Jacks up at 4:15 this morning. Ugh.  They have been snoozing 💤 on the couch while I enjoy coffee with the Daily and Wordle. 

Anyone else Wordle fanatics? We have a siblings iMessage thread.  Every morning we each report the number of tries it took to reach the solution.  Once we all report in, we post a photo of our solutions.  It’s fun to see the different ways we used to reach the same goal,  it’s a fun way to stay in touch with the family, as we are spread out across the country, 

have a wonderful day, everyone!  Share a smile with a stranger today. 
prayers for all in need, and cheers to those with good news!

• Like 24

Good morning everyone Thank you for the daily and fleet reports. 

Working from home today but first getting my hair done before my cruise.

11 days to go!

A little cooler today and apparently, we will get down into the 30's tonight. Crazy weather. 

Thinking of you all today. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 16

Wednesday  May 17 care and celebration list

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with knee and back pain but doing things

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruznterri’s dh taking it easy after mohs surgery

1angelcat with a very sick kitty

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

Wildfire and tornado victims

Too many shooting victims every day, most recently Farmington,  New Mexico

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Status of St. Louis Sal(6/29/22) and JAM37 (6/20/22)

Status of irishjim (10/31/22)

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations

Tana responding to medication and walking with walker

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Mamaofami with good oncology report

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

RMLincoln good eye report,  surgery date for other eye august 1

Vict0rians dh home after surgery

Welcome back

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

4 days for Crazy For Cats(Zaandam 5/20 to 5/27)

Cruising 

Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/21)

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily this morning.  For weather I have a temp of 66F, partly cloudy with possible rain later and a high of 79.  Plan today is for the power washer to show up around 2 pm.  He was supposed to be here a week or so ago but ran out of time that day. He's doing the house and deck.  Yesterday was the exterminating company's termite bait check.  We're doing good in that regard.  When we moved to Georgia we just put them on retainer you might say.  They come quarterly for spraying outside, annually for the termites, and we have a fire ant plan.  If anything comes up between visits a call will bring them right out. 

Pack Rat Day sounds like a good idea.  Just hard to get motivated to actually do the work.  Maintaining our blood pressure is so important.  DH works on that every day.  My BP (no meds) is great so I don't worry too much about myself.  And a big salute to telecommunicators.👏

I agree with Graham @grapau27 that the meal looks like a pass, but Debbie @dfish might change that opinion.  Our drink today sounds like something I drink every day but I don't have alcohol in mine!🍹  The Cabernet Sauvignon is good I'm sure, but I don't drink red wine. 🍷  Thank you Dixie and Ann for your reports.  ((Blue bubbles are suddenly elusive for me this morning).  Sorry ladies!  The two days in history are interesting.  Can't comprehend how hard it was for people to survive in a new land back in the 1500's.

Today's port is Falmouth, Jamaica.  This is the first time posted here for Falmouth.  I seem to have a problem with Jamaican ports.  First time we were going to Ocho Rios and got diverted to Montego Bay.  The next time was February of this year when we were supposed to go to Falmouth but went to Ocho Rios instead.  I wonder what port we have to book to get diverted to Falmouth??  At any rate there is no link today since it's a first timer, and no photos for me to post either.  Please feel free to post yours!

Prayers for our Care list people.  Many have come off it lately, but there are still problems for our group. 🙏  Cheers to the Celebration list folks!  Happy cruising, too.🥂🚢  Have an excellent day!

• Like 27

I see CC is acting up today, cloning posts! had a rough night. Couldn’t fall asleep so got up to read around midnight. Then when I did fall asleep I woke up several times for a bathroom trip. I wish I could determine the cause so I don’t repeat it.  Going out to the county today to pick up fresh local asparagus and visit with my sister but I will let DH drive. At least the sun is shining even if it is chilly this morning.

• Like 23

Sorry everyone.  I kept getting a message to wait 15 seconds to post.  I corrected the post (which doesn’t seem to have taken) and then CC was under maintenance.  Just got back and see all these posts and it’s too late to edit 😡. I’ve asked mods to delete but so sorry I made the thread cumbersome.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Sorry everyone.  I kept getting a message to wait 15 seconds to post.  I corrected the post (which doesn’t seem to have taken) and then CC was under maintenance.  Just got back and see all these posts and it’s too late to edit 😡. I’ve asked mods to delete but so sorry I made the thread cumbersome.

Not your fault. Cc did that to me once and it happened to a couple of other posters this morning,too. Like gremlins got in the works and gummed it up!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! It is a lovely morning in the neighborhood! And there is already an ocean breeze helping to keep the humidity at bay!

Eva thank you for keeping up with all our happenings! I sometimes miss an event, and I can count on you to make sure I know about it.

Yard work, Bindi walks, HIIT and pool time. I also think I need to apply Grub-ex to my front lawn, the voles are starting to tunnel. 

IMG_1310.jpeg.fb32aaa183f1e07eb92f4f09cb1b077b.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg.f2a792d5c73445bdae2390e8f7e5bf86.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Col Solare Cabernet Sauvignon 2018, Red Mountain, Washington State

I used the 2018 vintage, since it might be easier to find. And it just squeaks in to my budget. Though I admit to rarely spending more than $30 for a bottle of wine. It has to be something unique and special. This wine has a decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $48.95.

Winemaker Notes

Aromas of black cherry, currants, and spice blend with subtle notes of dark chocolate and cola. Tannins are rich and refined on the finish, a characteristic of Red Mountain fruit, with flavors of berries, black fruit and cocoa. Blend: 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc

JD96 Jeb Dunnuck

The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Cabernet Franc) reveals a vivid purple/ruby color to go with a young, unevolved bouquet of pure cassis, spicy oak, chocolate, and tobacco. Full-bodied on the palate, it has remarkable tannins, a great mid-palate, and a rare mix of richness and elegance. It needs 4-5 years of bottle age to develop additional complexity, but it has incredible potential and is one head-turning Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon.

W&S94 Wine & Spirits
Col Solare’s 2018 cabernet seems like a master class in taming the Red Mountain beast. It’s a big, powerful wine: Smelling it is like stepping up to an edifice, but what may impress you most is its savor and smoky complexity. If you can imagine grilled blueberries, that’s the idea. The flavors are heady, dark and concentrated, with a formidable oak component, and yet the wine feels like it’s on tiptoe, the intensity on a small scale. It needs years in the cellar.
RP93 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Deep ruby colored at its core, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon possesses all of the great expressions worthy of representing Col Solare. Dusty notions of sticky, resinous flowers, crème de cassis, redcurrants, dark plum skin, black raspberry and bitter dark chocolate sway with elements of juicy tobacco and luxurious baking spices. Medium to full-bodied, the wine offers impeccable balance with an elongated palate with flavors of blackberry skin, black cherry and dusty roses, fine-grained tannins and succulent acidity. The wine concludes with a long, complex finish that will have no problem lasting for 20 years.
JS93 James Suckling
A full-bodied red with aromas of black fruit, dried violets, bitter chocolate, cedar and slate. Concentrated and intense with firm, polished tannins. Firm and compact with mineral undertones on the finish.
WS92 Wine Spectator

A handsome red that's deeply structured and polished, with expressive black currant, stony mineral and savory black olive notes that gather tension toward medium-grained tannins.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I am trying not to be too much of a Pack Rat, regularly monitor my blood pressure and we all rely heavily on telecommunication.  Interesting that Aristides did not continue on to the third running of the Preakness.  I like the Green quote and have been to Falmouth just once, on Grandeur of the Seas in 2015.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Guanabana Soup, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Peach Crisp, supplemented by a Lido Barbecue as enjoyed on MS Veendam May 17, 2016:

bbq1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

bbq3.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

I see that several people got caught in the "site is updating" trap. It happened to me in a different thread. So... If you see duplicate posts from Wednesday, it's not the poster's fault. It's a "feature."

• Like 14
  • Haha 18

Good morning to everyone.  Lovely day here in PA.  Sun is shining and temperature is moderate.

Monthly card club today - pinnacle.  One member - the one who invited me to join in 1980 - is turning 80 so I am bringing a cake.  It is lovely now that we go to a local restaurant to play.  They give us a room and all we have to do is buy lunch.  No one has to host at their home which is nice.

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread.  Such a nice way to start my morning.  Katherine 

• Like 27

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui, thank you for getting it fixed before I posted! I admit to being surprised when my post ended up on page two!

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, superoma said:

Not your fault. Cc did that to me once and it happened to a couple of other posters this morning,too. Like gremlins got in the works and gummed it up!

Perhaps it's a good thing that I got distracted from posting this morning.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

Good morning, thank you and best wishes to all who post on the Daily.  Quick post because I am dog sitting for my sister.  Hunter is a great dog but his schedule impacts mine.IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.1e0455a6282535738f927769ea6daaf0.jpeg

I am beach lover.  Have been to Jamaica many times, always staying at an all inclusive resort.  Negril is my favorite area.  Recently HAL has been using the Falmouth port but on the cruise I booked on the NS in March we are going to Ocho Rios.  I wonder if this is a permanent move?

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It is another beautiful day.    An hour after I had fallen asleep last night I awoke to scratching on the wall and I knew exactly what it was, a raccoon climbing the door frame to try to eat the Oriole's grape jelly.  I shooed him off and now I will have to bring in the jelly and the suet every night due to those pests.   Thankfully I was able to get back to sleep.   His mischief didn't end at the climbing, he toppled over a lot of newly dug plants just for good measure.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports Rich.   Another good quote today.  It is important to keep an eye on hypertension and get on proper medicine as soon as it is needed.  My upper number is beginning to creep up but the docs don't say anything about it yet.   I did some work on pack ratting because when we returned from our cruise we had three new suitcases to fit in the basement closet so that got me into weeding out old clothes in that closet.  Then I went upstairs and started through linen closets, my drawers and my closet.   Between what John had decided to pitch it was multiple boxes and bags to the Salvation Army which is conveniently nearby.   We had Falmouth as a substitute port stop on the GSA after Grand Cayman was cancelled.  We opted to stay aboard.  The country of Jamaica issued a warning about crime so in addition to its' bad reputation it made our choice easy.  I think it is on one of our itineraries for next winter. 

Prayers for all on our care reports, the people of Ukraine and the family of the former US soldier who was killed fighting in Ukraine.   I know it will be a pass on the dish, to high carb and the peach drink but the red wine looks like is a winner.    Have a wonderful day!  Nancy 

• Like 28