Equinox Cruise May 4 to May 13 2023 FOOD

daka

As you can see from our signature, we have been on a "few" cruises 😂

We always book an AQUA class cabin, well worth the extra charge for one reason....

The BLU DINING ,,,this is the small dining venue that is ONLY available to AQUA class guests

I think that they only allow the "best" of the staff to serve in the BLU dining room

On this past cruise every meal in BLU was OUTSTANDING, Gourmet quality, go with what your server recommends

Also, if you see something on the menu from the MDR, they will get that for you...Shrimp cocktail is always available 

along with excellent Onion soup...

Absolutely fantastic cruise..... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daka said:

We always book an AQUA class cabin, well worth the extra charge for one reason....

The BLU DINING ,,,this is the small dining venue that is ONLY available to AQUA class guests

I think that they only allow the "best" of the staff to serve in the BLU dining room

On this past cruise every meal in BLU was OUTSTANDING, Gourmet quality, go with what your server recommends

Also, if you see something on the menu from the MDR, they will get that for you...Shrimp cocktail is always available 

Glad you enjoyed your cruise 🚢 

Your post and positive comments will send the usual negative food naysayers here on CC (we all know who they are) into a hissy fit. You might get called a cheerleader or something similar. Nice to hear you enjoyed Blu!  We also enjoyed Equinox earlier this year.

• Like 5

This was a second cruise of our b2b. We ate mostly in Luminae and the food was as good as expected. . First morning we got the famous pistastio rolls and told our waiter they were not as good as usual. Two mornings later, he brought the "bread lady" around to us at breakfast and advised we should re-try the rolls. Lo and behold they were  much more "gooey" than before. This continued for the remainder of our cruises. Early on we asked if the 4 oz. filet was always available and our waiter said it was. We both ordered it a few times when nothing on the menu appealed to us. We never mentioned the "children's menu". Of course, the wait staff in Luminae was absolutely outstanding.  We had lunch in the OVC a few times and the food was widely varied and delicious as usual. Noting to complain about the food or staff on Equinox. 

• Like 1

Just looked at our upcoming July 2nd Equinox cruise to see if we could upgrade to Aqua.  They are sold out.  I don't really enjoy the PG perk so would only do so for the food.  Your review of the food gives me hope for the MDR.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

I posted on another thread. We were in Blu a month ago. Was concerned about menu because I’m not an octopus, lamb chop, duck person. I managed to get some dishes from the MDR. Prime Rib, Ribeye, Lobster, Fillet.

All were fabulous. I will say again.. I’ve had French onion soup in many restaurants and supper clubs including many times on other Celebrity ships. This was by far the most flavorful rich best tasting French onion soup I’ve ever had.

Someone may chime in that it was Meh like they did on the other thread but were they on the same ship? Who knows. But was excellent IMHO. My DW thought the same.Too each their own. 

Servers were fabulous. The right deal and I think we’d do it again.

IMG_2872.jpeg

Edited by cheeseheads4ever
  • Like 5

Impatiently waiting in Ft Lauderdale for tomorrow’s embarkation on Equinox in Aqua.  We were on her in September and loved Blu.  My husband hasn’t stopped talking about the French onion soup.  Hopefully the increased occupancy won’t be too much of an issue.  We really enjoyed the reduced passenger count last fall.  

20 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

I’m not an octopus, lamb chop, duck person.

When I look at the menu in the app, I'm seeing options beyond those. Depending on the night, I'm seeing chicken in various forms, filet mignon, salmon, short ribs, steak salad, ribeye steak, tuna, pork tenderloin, prime rib, some type of pasta, and every night offers the impossible burger.

There's only one night where I see pretty much only octopus, lamb, duck, and cornish hen.

• Like 1

We sailed Aqua in Jan. on Solstice and loved BLU. ( as always) Only complaint was the 'real' maple syrup. I almost spit it out! Some kind of fake slime and when I questioned it I was assured it was real. Finally I asked to see the 'can'. Our very embarrassed waitress returned to say that it said pancake syrup. Quite sure it was artificial sweetener ( allergic). as well as I had a headache that ruined my port day. I discussed this with the maitre D. 

Other than this we enjoyed all of the meals and service. Hopefully the real product has returned or they actually change the menu to reflect what they are serving.

My husband is a basic meat and potato country kind of guy. Some nights we asked for a baked potato with his meal . He often ordered the shrimp ( no sauce... lol). He would always choose Blu over the noisy  MDR. We both love the breakfast, starting the day early with a window seat and the pleasant smiles and chats with the wait staff, the greeting at the door... the whole package!

We had a few laughs watching staff trying to center the table runners and surprised them with a measuring tape the next day ( for fun). A seamstress always travels with one. They had great fun measuring each others tables!

Best memories!!

18 hours ago, chimchimtx said:

Impatiently waiting in Ft Lauderdale for tomorrow’s embarkation on Equinox in Aqua.  We were on her in September and loved Blu.  My husband hasn’t stopped talking about the French onion soup.  Hopefully the increased occupancy won’t be too much of an issue.  We really enjoyed the reduced passenger count last fall.  

My experience the French Onion Soup and Shrimp Cocktail are ordered from the MDR menu.  I have never seen it on the Blu menu. I you are not a fan of PG - then you could eat many evenings in specialty dining for the price of Aqua. 
When in Blu we often order from both menus. 

3 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

My experience the French Onion Soup and Shrimp Cocktail are ordered from the MDR menu.  I have never seen it on the Blu menu. I you are not a fan of PG - then you could eat many evenings in specialty dining for the price of Aqua. 
When in Blu we often order from both menus. 

They are a number of items that are not on the Blu menu that have been available there for years, the soup and shrimp you mentioned,  Cesar salad, baked potato, escargot, French fries come to mind.

Just now, jelayne said:

They are a number of items that are not on the Blu menu that have been available there for years, the soup and shrimp you mentioned,  Cesar salad, baked potato, escargot, French fries come to mind.

Luckily on most ships you can order from both menus. 

On 5/18/2023 at 1:09 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just looked at our upcoming July 2nd Equinox cruise to see if we could upgrade to Aqua.  They are sold out.  I don't really enjoy the PG perk so would only do so for the food.  Your review of the food gives me hope for the MDR.  Thanks for posting!

We are on that sailing in Aqua Class.  Mostly because of Blu and being able to avoid the MDR.

We generally do not cruise on large, mass market ships but are taking extended family on a cruise and hopeful it will be a good experience for them.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, daka said:

So your post isn't about the food generally available on the Equinox, just the food in Blu?

Since most of us will be eating in the other larger dining venues.... thanks.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, 39august said:

This was a second cruise of our b2b. We ate mostly in Luminae and the food was as good as expected. . First morning we got the famous pistastio rolls and told our waiter they were not as good as usual. Two mornings later, he brought the "bread lady" around to us at breakfast and advised we should re-try the rolls. Lo and behold they were  much more "gooey" than before. This continued for the remainder of our cruises. Early on we asked if the 4 oz. filet was always available and our waiter said it was. We both ordered it a few times when nothing on the menu appealed to us. We never mentioned the "children's menu". Of course, the wait staff in Luminae was absolutely outstanding.  We had lunch in the OVC a few times and the food was widely varied and delicious as usual. Noting to complain about the food or staff on Equinox. 

Thank you for your positive comments, we are on the June 4th sailing of Equinox and will be dining in Luminae. Our first retreat cruise was in the Equinox and the food and service of Luminae was what sold us on only booking suites from then on.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:06 PM, cheeseheads4ever said:

This was by far the most flavorful rich best tasting French onion soup I’ve ever had.

Last year we sailed from Rome on the Reflection and that French Onion soup was one of the best I have ever had in any restaurant. One evening, after a late lunch onshore, we had our butler bring us the soup to our cabin with a shrimp cocktail for diner.  Then we followed that cruise with on the HAL Oosterdam from Venice and the French Onion soup was just horrible and more like dishwater with a little grated cheese on top.

Edited by terrydtx

• 1 month later...