We are platinum with Princess, our friends are not

Cessna140

My understanding is that they can check in with you, but would have to wait in a general boarding area.  They will be called right after Elite/Suite, Club Class, then Platinum boards.  

8 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Only upon entering the P/E/S waiting area(s). 

Only went into the PES area once while I was waiting for my wife to get back from the rest room.  In San Francisco, they don't seem to have the coffee/juice/pastries that they have for PES at the other ports.  (Don't remember if it was in Vancouver either, but it was a total mess there since most of the people there are seasonal and we were there the first day of the Alaska season.)

4 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Only upon entering the P/E/S waiting area(s). 

It's been awhile since I sat in a PES waiting area with the coffee and pastries.  The last one I remember was SF a few years back.  Do they still exist?

23 minutes ago, Kay S said:

It's been awhile since I sat in a PES waiting area with the coffee and pastries.  The last one I remember was SF a few years back.  Do they still exist?

It did exist during our NE/Canada cruise out of Brooklyn last October. Will let you know when we do the same cruise this September.

7 hours ago, Cessna140 said:

Hi, Just wondering if we can have our non platinum friends come with us at our checkin or will they have to wait till later in a separate area?

thanks!

If they are staying in your cabin, then yes they can join you. Otherwise they are not Platinum and should board with their respective group. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

They had some in Vancouver recently.

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Southampton had one a few weeks ago. But honestly, the terminal started allowing people in at 10:15 and the PES people who were there at that time were processed and checked in by 10:25 and boarding began at 10:45. Any PES people who arrived after 10:45 went straight from the checkin area to the ship. At most, one would have gotten 15 minutes to “enjoy” the coffee and pastries. So is it really relevant?  Once you check in you are literally minutes from better coffee and better food on the ship. The PES lounge really affords no great benefit any more. The bottom line is PES people shouldn’t be all that concerned with getting non-PES people into the lounge area and the PES people who are using the lounge area shouldn’t be all that concerned if others are brought in as “guests”. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Southampton had one a few weeks ago. But honestly, the terminal started allowing people in at 10:15 and the PES people who were there at that time were processed and checked in by 10:25 and boarding began at 10:45. Any PES people who arrived after 10:45 went straight from the checkin area to the ship. At most, one would have gotten 15 minutes to “enjoy” the coffee and pastries. So is it really relevant?  Once you check in you are literally minutes from better coffee and better food on the ship. The PES lounge really affords no great benefit any more. The bottom line is PES people shouldn’t be all that concerned with getting non-PES people into the lounge area and the PES people who are using the lounge area shouldn’t be all that concerned if others are brought in as “guests”. 

Lemme see, leftover coffee from concentrate, watered down juices, stale pastries.  This is what I demand in the PES lounge and they need to keep the lesser ones out.  Quite honestly I'm not really sure when I see one and when I don't, I do know that my experiences with them have been less than favorable.  But the entitled ones do savor it along with their privilege of boarding first.   But then ... we always board before them ... 

• Like 1

When we checked in for our April 30 Royal Princess cruise from SF, the boarding was delayed due to difficulties clearing the ship from the previous sailing. Once we were finally upstairs the terminal staff called for platinum and elites to go to the front of the security line and then to the Priority check in lane. It probably saved us about 30 minutes waiting. 

9 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Lemme see, leftover coffee from concentrate, watered down juices, stale pastries.  This is what I demand in the PES lounge and they need to keep the lesser ones out.  Quite honestly I'm not really sure when I see one and when I don't, I do know that my experiences with them have been less than favorable.  But the entitled ones do savor it along with their privilege of boarding first.   But then ... we always board before them ... 

kinda sounding bitter. Why’s that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually we are getting to the ship in the afternoon  ( not the type that needs to be onboard right away!!)  so I'm sure we will all just walk on together. But thanks for all the input.

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct.  If you miss the rush, you will just walk onboard the ship.  If you get the MDR before 1:30, you will still be allowed in to enjoy a nice leisurely MRD embarkation lunch.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 5:22 AM, Bgwest said:

kinda sounding bitter. Why’s that?

Not bitter, just not sure why people think it a privilege of their Captain's Circle status.  Especially when it doesn't seem to be available at many ports.  My impression has always been that it is leftovers from the buffet and MDRs from breakfast.

On 5/31/2023 at 11:19 AM, Reina del Mar said:

If every Platinum/ Elite member took guests with them, the line would be huge. You might manage it..but trust your conscience and go in their lane. In fact, it might even be quicker !

Try being an in-transit passenger and having to wait for friends who are first-time cruisers ...  and got 'guarantee' reservations from a cut-rate web site.

Edited by SiliconCruiser