Oldies not catered for anymore

jessybell

11 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I wish the menus were on the tv. The menus outside the restaurants on Iona were on a screen that took ages to get to the page and then continued much too quickly to see what was on it. Very frustrating. 

on Arvia I asked for the lunch and dinner menu when I came out of breakfast , they were obviously used to this as they had some ready at the ‘ book in’ bit as you come in( or out) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Luddites!.....Luddites everywhere! 😁

To be honest that’s how I felt after three hours trying to fathom out what to do pre cruise.😂

The one thing that really bugged  me on the Ship was being expected to read the Cocktail Menu from my I phone.😂

I know …..life’s a ***** sometimes ain’t it 😂😂😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, 1160451 said:

Hi. Sorry I phrased it badly.

I meant sorting out at the requirements Princess needed through the App.

We have been used to just adding passport details ect on other cruises which always seemed simple.

On Princess you have to add much the same via the App, then you have to go on line for Luggage Labels. Also choosing your Medallion. Choosing your time of embarkation. 

Then your given “line colour” for embarkation.

We could not access this.
Eventually had to ring Princess.
They sorted it out over the phone.

So in the end all we need at embarkation was passport and the App with our Coloured line with chosen time. 
If we cruised with them again I would hope to be able to breeze through it.

From memory, yes we had to go on the web to print luggage labels ( I think) but we did the medallion stuff and the embarkation on the app.  You do have to check on the web for any OBC you have. With P & O of course the only way of finding that out is on your invoice. I am thinking more checking if your share benefit has been added, with P & O you have to phone your TA and ask them and then they send an updated invoice , with Princess you can see online. 

5 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Luddites!.....Luddites everywhere! 😁

You make a good point there.

But to be fair to P&O, their IT systems have never been up to the mark, and the issues around the dreaded lurgy since 2020 have curtailed the investment required to bring it into the 21st century.

Fingers crossed for some improvements soon……….😇

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

But to be fair to P&O, their IT systems have never been up to the mark, and the issues around the dreaded lurgy since 2020 have curtailed the investment required to bring it into the 21st century.

Harry have you noticed the irony of people complaining about having  to use a web page on a ship, on a website. clearly get their grandchildren to  post for them.

😁

Gan Canny

Dai

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, daiB said:

Harry have you noticed the irony of people complaining about having  to use a web page on a ship, on a website. clearly get their grandchildren to  post for them.

😁

Gan Canny

Dai

From what I've gleaned from these posts, I don't think it's the using of Apps that's the issue Dai. Most of the complaints are that they aren't working properly or keep crashing. That would bug me hell out of me too🤬

Avril

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

From what I've gleaned from these posts, I don't think it's the using of Apps that's the issue Dai. Most of the complaints are that they aren't working properly or keep crashing. That would bug me hell out of me too🤬

Avril

The app has worked fine for us. Other folk report the app has worked fine for them. My SiL said ' the app isn't working ". I told her ..Airplane mode on, then go back in and turn wifi on'. ...Oh !...seems OK now.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The app has worked fine for us. Other folk report the app has worked fine for them. My SiL said ' the app isn't working ". I told her ..Airplane mode on, then go back in and turn wifi on'. ...Oh !...seems OK now.

I would agree with this. First night had dinner booked and were waiting in the bar. Others were waiting. Some were called. After second group were called and we weren't. We just went to restaurant and said it wasn't working.

The next day I went to reception and said I wanted them to log me in BUT I wanted to see every step. Problem solved. No problems after that.

p.s. I knew the problem would be me. My son's stock phrase when he fixes our IT is 'user error' 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I remeber our first cruise on sea princess, prob about 20 years ago so was in our early 20s. We were by far some.of the youngest people on there and received plenty of comments from friends and family about only old people cruise. The ship its self was amazing for us but now looking back it was all set up for the older cruisers. I can see how the cruise market has changed, now with more choice and more younger people, 1 affording to cruise and 2 more advertising and acceptance that cruising isnt just for old people. There is also more competition for passengers so cruise companies have to offer more. 

Post covid i read the newer big ships do not need to be at 100% occupancy to make a profit some can be as low as 60%. Also outside of school holidays lots of younger adults without children cruise. Where esle can you get all that food and entertainment for under £100 per person per day. Hence why cruising is popular and to all ages. 

Like i have said to my friends do your research before choosing a cruise.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

That happened to me a lot. It worked intermittently yet hubby's worked fine. I gave up in the end as it was frustrating.  I just looked at hubby's phone mostly for the drink menus, venues for activities and to check our onboard account spend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I would be happy if P&Os IT was up to 20th century standards.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Rosy 2 cakes said:

Menus are posted on boards outside the restaurants., we'll that was our experience on Aurora in August  2022. On Saga menus are available on the in cabin TV.

Hopefully it will remain that way when we are on board in September.

As Gettingwarmer says on Iona and Arvia the menus are on a screen outside the MDRs and you have to wait for a few ads or whatever to scroll by before the menu appears.  At which point I used to take a photo of the menu, as it disappeared before I could read it properly. 

Prefer a hard copy of the menu displayed out side the MDR for both lunch and dinner.  Some of the ships used to have the menus available on the bar in Andersons or the Crows Nest.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

As Gettingwarmer says on Iona and Arvia the menus are on a screen outside the MDRs and you have to wait for a few ads or whatever to scroll by before the menu appears.  At which point I used to take a photo of the menu, as it disappeared before I could read it properly. 

Prefer a hard copy of the menu displayed out side the MDR for both lunch and dinner.  Some of the ships used to have the menus available on the bar in Andersons or the Crows Nest.

Same here, I would take a photo before it disappeared. I would have preferred the menu to be on the app or TV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I remember doing that. Sitting in the bar having a G&T, looking through the evenings menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio41 said:

I remember doing that. Sitting in the bar having a G&T, looking through the evenings menu.

Hi.

You can do that on Celebrity app as well as most other things.P&O is miles behind.

You can even look at the menu’s sat at home before you cruise.

This is tomorrow nights main course menu in MDR on Silhouette app….

IMG_2471.thumb.png.abca7e0ccb6ac5414b90a415d8bb164c.png

• Like 1

Am committing the sin of not reading replies to this before posting, but it has been a long day.

Just got off Britannia, and despite having a Mr Presto who is well up re technology, we both felt that we wanted to get a hammer and small up anything to do with that stupid system they have for booking the freedom dining. Having been 301 in a queue once and another night the service was dire at 9.30pm we really don't get it at all. It is a mess and needs sorting. And, like the OP we don't want to be carrying our phone around with us all of the time. 

To be fair, the system does have a lot of potential and some positives but I really felt for anyone who wasn't up to speed with the technology side of things and the failure of the system re booking a meal time. The only thing I heard people moan about was this system. I really do hope they adapt it. The poor man on the desk at the Meridian looked stressed out --- he is on the front line trying to calm everyone down. Apparently the system works when the ship isn't full --------------- well, P&O the school holidays are approaching, so perhaps some quick thinking is needed !

• Like 17

On 6/1/2023 at 3:39 PM, daiB said:

I never used the app for the glasshouse at lunch. I went there sat and ordered a drink and then asked If I could see the menu. no problem. If the venue is quiet i dont think the app is needed.

Sadly, for those of us who have to sail during the school holidays (when the ships are full) it is complete and utter chaos. Why they have this system on Britannia (when the old pager system worked well) is beyond us. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sadly, for those of us who have to sail during the school holidays (when the ships are full) it is complete and utter chaos. Why they have this system on Britannia (when the old pager system worked well) is beyond us. 

One of our cruises was on Iona in the Easter Hols. No issues with the app.and few queues, I was a 7 night cruise withe 1000 children and clearly we were on freedom dining. We are on Britannia at the end of June nfor 3 weeks so we shall see then. We are however, on set dining as ever. 

Dai

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

One of our cruises was on Iona in the Easter Hols. No issues with the app.and few queues, I was a 7 night cruise withe 1000 children and clearly we were on freedom dining. We are on Britannia at the end of June nfor 3 weeks so we shall see then. We are however, on set dining as ever. 

Dai

Britannia will be fine by then. The man who was organising it all.. whose title I can't remember.. told us it worked well other than when the ship was full. Poor man. We told him to have a stiff drink at the end of the evening. He said he had his whisky ready !!! 

Have a lovely time in Britannia. Must admit we have a cruise booked on her in and may move to club dining to avoid the stress !

Ps there were other very positive parts if the cruise too ..

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Britannia will be fine by then. The man who was organising it all.. whose title I can't remember.. told us it worked well other than when the ship was full. Poor man. We told him to have a stiff drink at the end of the evening. He said he had his whisky ready !!! 

Have a lovely time in Britannia. Must admit we have a cruise booked on her in and may move to club dining to avoid the stress !

Ps there were other very positive parts if the cruise too ..

Were they still allowing reservations between 5.30 and 6.30 at the restaurant which you could book for the entire cruise or is it all app based now on Britannia?

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Were they still allowing reservations between 5.30 and 6.30 at the restaurant which you could book for the entire cruise or is it all app based now on Britannia?

Think it was all app based that opened at 5.45pm. OK of you eat early ... if you prefer about 7.30pm it is .. grim 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Think it was all app based that opened at 5.45pm. OK of you eat early ... if you prefer about 7.30pm it is .. grim 

Thank you.  Not sure if I should move to club dining for the one with my husband, he has to have a regular dining time every day, generally around 6.00pm to 6.15pm for medical reasons.  We changed to freedom dining a few years back because it was easy to arrange.  Even at Christmas we were allowed to arrive between 6.00pm and 6.15pm.  An app booking with no indication of how long the wait is certainly won't work, so I'll have to see what can be done.

I'm the glad the rest of your holiday went well and look forward to your report you mentioned.

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.  Not sure if I should move to club dining for the one with my husband, he has to have a regular dining time every day, generally around 6.00pm to 6.15pm for medical reasons.  We changed to freedom dining a few years back because it was easy to arrange.  Even at Christmas we were allowed to arrive between 6.00pm and 6.15pm.  An app booking with no indication of how long the wait is certainly won't work, so I'll have to see what can be done.

I'm the glad the rest of your holiday went well and look forward to your report you mentioned.

We met someone today who said they had a dietary issue and had gone at 6pm every night and got the same table. Perhaps if you mention it they will sort it for you. I can't see why not as it is a medical issue. To be fair it really is not the fault of staff trying to organise it all but the fault of the system that puts you in a queue and you have no idea what that means in terms of time !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, Fionboard said:

If P&O depend on younger pax (who work) and families, they will come unstuck when trying to fill the mega ships during term time, winter, etc. We "oldies" are the ones with the funds, and time, to cruise all year round. Dismiss us at your peril! 

We sailed on Iona this year and didn't love the ship and won't be back, despite enjoying the cruise overall. No major complaints and a lot to like, but not for us. We liked 711, Limelight and were easy users of the App.  We don't care for dressing up (but comply when needed) and are not interested in ballroom dancing. Generally however, we felt the cruise did not match what we wanted for what we paid.

It is oft quoted on these boards that P&O can make a profit if these ships sail at 60% full.  I assume this figure is not based on filling the ship with those who pay in the region of £50+ per night or the bargain headline fares that are currently advertised.

I have said previously that on my Iona cruise we met may passengers who were keen to tell us what a bargain it was.  And good for them ..... really; no sour grapes here. We have a very healthy travel budget but I love a bargain as much as the next person. Some were paying the £50 pppn as mentioned. We were paying £193 pppn in a nice, but unremarkable, mid ship deluxe balcony plus extra for internet (£10 per day approx) and speciality dining. Not a particularly cheap cruise, booked on release with little OBC. Our decision of course, but one we are unlikely to make again on either Iona or her sister ship.

My question/supposition would be do they need those of us who are prepared to pay these amounts to make a profit on these big ships? Aren't the ones with the funds to shell out on full fares, in cabins more than just a place to sleep more likely to be older? IMHO, P&O really do need to be very mindful of the older cruiser on these large ships too. I think Fionboard makes a very valid point.

• Like 7