Just Call me “Idiot”

18 months ago at Next Cruise desk booked a family cruise. Used the everyday name for a grand baby, let’s say.....Kathy.

Birth certificate is Katherine, and now trying to update the name is making us jump hoops, but with the help of a super RCL phone agent, I think it is being corrected.  

Air2Sea needs corrected first, so we need the airline to approve.

I’m an idiot.

Eddie

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

It shouldn't be a problem at all to update the cruise reservation. Name changes on flights are harder, but if it's not past final payment, should be easy for Air2Sea to do.

Unfortunately it’s past final payment

You do not need ID for air flights for minors....  So whether reservation is under Kathy or Katherine is irrelvant assuming its domestic travel. However I do see you booked thru Air2sea ...so I am assuming they are tied in together even though airline will not care nor know

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

You do not need ID for air flights for minors....  So whether reservation is under Kathy or Katherine is irrelvant assuming its domestic travel. However I do see you booked thru Air2sea ...so I am assuming they are tied in together even though airline will not care nor know

Oh, i did not know we didn’t need ID for air portion.  RCL says they can’t change name until AFTER airline does

1 minute ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Oh, i did not know we didn’t need ID for air portion.  RCL says they can’t change name until AFTER airline does

I guess your hands are tied then since names need to match for flights, transfers and the cruise.  Had you booked air seperately it would have been easier for you since you could have sent a copy of BC to RCL to change reservation  to the more formal  name. Im sure it will all work out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Airlines have long been a PITA about name changes.  

If It's domestic you are probably fine.  International is another matter. 

And different airlines handle differently too. Booked flight a couple months ago on an airline I hadn’t flown in 10+ years but had an account still. Was logged in to book, but at payment screen (or just before) I saw it didn’t have my suffix to fully match my ID and wouldn’t let me edit name from account since I was logged in. Called/messaged airline agent next morning, sent copy of my ID, and got it changed - but realized they essentially canceled and rebooked to do the change since I got an email receipt after listing travel bank as payment source. Was fixed easily and quickly enough, but learned some systems are so engrained it took a cancel/rebook to update name to add a two letter suffix. 

8 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

I guess your hands are tied then since names need to match for flights, transfers and the cruise.  Had you booked air seperately it would have been easier for you since you could have sent a copy of BC to RCL to change reservation  to the more formal  name. Im sure it will all work out 

There is no need to send Royal any documentation to change a name on the booking.  Complete name changes can be done up to 24 hours until sail date (or prior to the manifest being submitted).  The only criteria is that one if the original names remains on the booking. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is no need to send Royal any documentation to change a name on the booking.  Complete name changes can be done up to 24 hours until sail date (or prior to the manifest being submitted).  The only criteria is that one if the original names remains on the booking. 

Question:  If someone in the cabin has to drop out, can we replace them with someone else?

If so, is there a time limit before the cruise sails?   We're booking our dau-in-law with our 19 yr old granddaughter.  The question is if her mom decides not to go, can she take a friend who will be 21 at time of the cruise?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BridgeMates said:

Question:  If someone in the cabin has to drop out, can we replace them with someone else?

If so, is there a time limit before the cruise sails?   We're booking our dau-in-law with our 19 yr old granddaughter.  The question is if her mom decides not to go, can she take a friend who will be 21 at time of the cruise?

Thanks!

Yes, up to 24 hours printer to sailing you can make a change.

Thst 24 hours is a guide, it depends on when the manifest gets submitted which could be a bit before that. .  

19 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

What airline and when are you traveling?

On 6/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, Cigar King said:

You're an idiot.  I am too.  Did almost the same thing.  I had to jump through a few hoops, but it all worked out in the end.

Thanks to the help of one Air2Sea agent, who first corrected the name on the air portion, and another RCL phone agent who could then correct the cruise portion, ........my idiocracy has been overcome.

The 2 agents did wonderful jobs, thank you.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson
  • Like 6

Two comments: 

- My husband is a Jr, and it's a headache when he travels.  He's used to it by now, and he has learned to be vigilant about ALL his travel information including those two little letters.  We had all girls, but -- before that was a fact -- he was adamant that he didn't want to saddle a son with a III after his name.  

- How old is the grandbaby in question?  If she's a toddler, it might be wise to remind her, "We call you Kathy, but you know your full name is Katherine.  When we get on the ship, if they say 'Katherine', you answer."  The last thing you need is to have a small child piping up with, "No, that's not my name!"  I know it's a bit far fetched, but you don't want to look even remotely suspicious to anyone in the terminal.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

42 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Two comments: 

- My husband is a Jr, and it's a headache when he travels.  He's used to it by now, and he has learned to be vigilant about ALL his travel information including those two little letters.  We had all girls, but -- before that was a fact -- he was adamant that he didn't want to saddle a son with a III after his name.  

- How old is the grandbaby in question?  If she's a toddler, it might be wise to remind her, "We call you Kathy, but you know your full name is Katherine.  When we get on the ship, if they say 'Katherine', you answer."  The last thing you need is to have a small child piping up with, "No, that's not my name!"  I know it's a bit far fetched, but you don't want to look even remotely suspicious to anyone in the terminal.  

The representatives at the port are not going to question a toddler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The representatives at the port are not going to question a toddler.

No, but if a toddler hears the terminal staff say, "And this is Katherine?" she might be the precocious type who'd declare loudly, "No, that's not my name!"  

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, but if a toddler hears the terminal staff say, "And this is Katherine?" she might be the precocious type who'd declare loudly, "No, that's not my name!"  

The representatives at the deal with people everyday and have enough common sense to listen to the parent and not a toddler.  The paperwork has been corrected.  The family is going to be fine, whether the child decides to call herself Kathy, Katherine or Elmo. 

Bill has a wonky name and I always call him Bill and sign him up for things with his real name. And then he undoes all my work and confuses people, when he says his name is Bill. 🙄

On 6/25/2023 at 6:48 PM, Eddie Wilson said:

18 months ago at Next Cruise desk booked a family cruise. Used the everyday name for a grand baby, let’s say.....Kathy.

Birth certificate is Katherine, and now trying to update the name is making us jump hoops, but with the help of a super RCL phone agent, I think it is being corrected.  

Air2Sea needs corrected first, so we need the airline to approve.

I’m an idiot.

Eddie

I made an even dumber mistake...  I booked airline tickets from London to Oslo with a Norwegian Air for myself with the name Dave.  Of course my legal name, passport and all documents say David.  I didn't realize what I did until a week before we left for London and two weeks before we were supposed to take that flight.  Thankfully a very helpful Norwegian agent on the phone sorted it out.  

You know you are bad off when you screw up your own name. 

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I made an even dumber mistake...  I booked airline tickets from London to Oslo with a Norwegian Air for myself with the name Dave.  Of course my legal name, passport and all documents say David.  I didn't realize what I did until a week before we left for London and two weeks before we were supposed to take that flight.  Thankfully a very helpful Norwegian agent on the phone sorted it out.  

You know you are bad off when you screw up your own name. 

Been there, done that