Royal Caribbean, A Lie is a Lie

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

I didn't say specifically the UK, just other places.  Half and half is popular in Canada as well as the US and in other countries it is pretty much equal to light cream or single cream.  

I’d like to know what “other countries” it is “popular” as it certainly isn’t in coffee aficionado nations like France, Spain, Italy or Australia.

or Jamaica. 

Edited by little britain

24 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

I go into the all of the other cruiseline boards to see the chatter going on about their particular line and I am never dissappointed!  EVERY cruise line has a bunch of folks who are upset about changes being made to the line and they also have those loyal fans that just roll with the punches.  I promise there is not a single forum in here that doesn't have complaints and issues rolling around...  

It doesn't matter which cruise line you are on, if you are someone who nitpicks and finds fault in everything, you won't be happy with any line and you may as well just stay with the one you're on.

or just stay

Edited by kirtihk

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

This thread has been enjoyable but I wanted to add my two cents before it gets locked down.

I drink coffee and use whatever dairy or non-dairy product available. any kind of milk whether it's low-fat or not, plant milk, half-and-half, cream, ice cream, whipped cream, whatever to lighten the coffee.  I'm not picky. Nor do I think there is some vast conspiracy by Royal to defraud, lie or otherwise cheat their customers by substituting an inferior product

Having said all that, there are a few basic things that any resort anywhere in the world whether on land or sea should get right.   Turn on hot water and you get hot water. Order decaf coffee and you get decaf coffee. When ordering chicken for dinner, you don't expect to get pork because it's "the other white meat".  You kind of expect the container marked half-and-half to have half-and-half. After all, they are in the hospitality business of pleasing their guests.

Again, I have no idea if this is part of Royals Evil Master Plan to become more profitable or (more likely) they simply ran out of half-and-half and a crew member got tired of fielding 400 requests of "Do you have half-and-half" and filled the container with milk.

I personally wouldn't stop cruising or switch lines because of it since I don't care what I put in my coffee but I wouldn't crucify a person for mentioning it on social media to warn others either.  Sure, they should've asked a crew member for it and maybe make a note of it next time they get a survey.   But no harm in spreading the word either.

This is a remarkably sane post.  How did this happen?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Half and half is not available in either Tescos or Sainsburys, the largest supermarket chains in the UK 

Because its called single cream over there!

Yeah yeah, couldn't resist..............so sue me.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, little britain said:

I’d like to know what “other countries” it is “popular” as it certainly isn’t in coffee aficionado nations like France, Spain, Italy or Australia.

or Jamaica. 

As I said previously, Jamaica is one place where half and half is not typically available.  Also, as I said before, it is available and popular in Canada and the US.  In "other countries" it has a similar equivalent as single cream and light cream  I am not sure why this is becoming an argument.  Just because it is not popular in the UK, or other places you listed, does not mean it is not popular anywhere else.  Why you feel the need to put my words in quotes and continue to question me, I do not know.  But there you go.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

or Jamaica. 

Doesn't matter. We like it over here and we don't really care how anyone else drinks their coffee. That includes our next door neighbors as well as the people across oceans.🙂

• Like 6

I drink my coffee black so can't understand the big hullabaloo. However, when I order a latte I always ask for it to be made with heavy cream.  It's lower in carbs.  Maybe the 1/2 and 1/2 folks should ask for a little heavy cream from the barista and see if that is an acceptable substitute.

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 2

My DH likes half-and-half for tea, and gets grumpy if it isn't available.    
I guess I'll have to add it to our pack list.   I wonder if that will count against our non-alcoholic beverage allotment?   We'll have a soft cooler for DD's medicine, so we can keep it cool.   

One (hopefully) last time for those that intentionally re-create the narrative of this original post, and for those that simply have poor reading comprehension…this post is about Royal’s intentional mislabeling of a product fleetwide…half and half when it’s milk, crab cake when it’s imitation Krab…hoping the customer doesn’t notice or doesn't care. My ability to obtain half and half while aboard is not the issue. What I may or may not have done as far as addressing this issue of mislabeling on this one specific cruise is a small minded view of the situation and not one I am choosing to share.  I can say that it has been verified over the past year of cruising, and aboard this Presient’s Cruise, that staff have been told to provide milk when half and half is requested.  It has also been verified that the Crab Cake in both the Main Dining Room and Chops contains no crab. I have no interest in what any of you do with this information on a individual basis.  I’m sharing it for those to whom such things, like honesty and integrity, matter.  Everyone will, and should, make their choices as they seem fit. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

It's lower in carbs.

Bingo!

The official definition according the the National Dairy Association: Half and half is simply a mixture of equal parts whole milk and cream

Everyone will, and should, make their choices as they seem fit.

Of course.

Believe it or not back in the day my Grandaddy used evaporated milk (that's tinned milk to you brits) in his coffee and I grew up loving it, still do on occasion, anything that comes from a cow is just OK with me.  Sorta like bacon, gotta love it!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Gotta relate a story here.  When we were in Bonaire we sat down at a little cafe on the wharf and I asked for a cappuccino...they brought me an espresso, I said "where's the milk?"  He looked at me like I was flippin crazy.  " Nobody drinks that here"  finally he did bring me some milk in a glass and I poured it in my espresso...lol.  Bonaire is Dutch.

Edited by BecciBoo

DW always orders her latte with fat free 1/2 and 1/2.  She has always been able get it on our last two cruises this year.  I would think FF HH would be really rare.  It seems bizarre to me that reg HH would be unavailable.  

23 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

What I may or may not have done as far as addressing this issue of mislabeling on this one specific cruise is a small minded view of the situation and not one I am choosing to share.

You feel it's worth it to claim Royal is intentionally lying to customers (which you're entitled to your opinion), but it's not worth it to let us know what TPTB response was to your claim?  I'm guessing the answer you got didn't support your narrative.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You feel it's worth it to claim Royal is intentionally lying to customers (which you're entitled to your opinion), but it's not worth it to let us know what TPTB response was to your claim?  I'm guessing the answer you got didn't support your narrative.  

Your guess would be wrong. Please read the *rest* of the post for your answer.

Edited by SailorMarg

2 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

Your guess would be wrong. Please read the *rest* of the post for your answer.

Then you didn't bring it up with TPTB.  Because if it fit your narrative of Royal "lying" to customers, I'm pretty confident you would have posted it.

Oh wait, that's right, you're just providing anecdotal information that on your cruise, the container labeled "Half and half" was just milk.  Got it. 

If you are planning on leaving RC over this, please note the following issues on NCL since I think you might be a lot less happy there:

NCL dropped one port and the morning of an another on my last cruise to help save the environment after final payment and refused to let anyone cancel or switch.  They also continued advertising the original itinerary  for a month promising to take people to the original ports, and didn't tell people who called NCL directly to book about the cancellations.

And people were really upset when NCL claimed UK regulations prevented them from serving drinks for passengers in the UK even those who had prepaid for a drink package, and they weren't going to reimburse them for the price of their drink package (after the passengers protested they decided to refund them).  People were very upset because other cruise lines were serving drinks in the UK  while NCL said they weren't allowed to by the UK authorities.

I traveled with small children on RC, and stored some milk  containers in my room for my daughter's nighttime bottle.  At one point, all of the milk was completely spoiled (it separated completely in the container).  It hadn't expired but there was something wrong with all 5 cartons I had on the exact same day.  Unsurprisingly, the next day they were out of skim milk.  People kept asking the workers in the buffet for skim milk, and the workers kept bringing out 2% milk.  The buffet workers English wasn't strong enough to explain the milk had spoiled and they kept telling passengers what was out was  skim milk (it wasn't - we'd searched the whole ship and there was no more skim milk available because they'd had to dump it all but the buffet workers English wasn't strong so they couldn't explain that this was the closest milk they had.  I was able to explain the situation to other passengers when I observed the interactions).  If this is a fleet wide mistake, then it might be bad leadership, but I would expect some errors due to communication problems or spoilage issues.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Allow me to blow holes in your theories  !

Masking tape and a sharpie...First problem solved

People are very particular about how they want their coffee . Staff would definitely know this !

Would they also use a container marked tea , and put coffee in it if they happened to need an extra container ? 

No , because that is not a deception they could get away with . If this is indeed happening the way OP states , It is clearly deception ... and just wrong

>>I also do not drink coffee ...!

Cheers

Know it's common issue for yrs Leaded or Unleaded Coffee getting mixed up by Employees, seen it many times even by my own workers

1 hour ago, Rusty_lock said:

However, when I order a latte I always ask for it to be made with heavy cream.  It's lower in carbs.

Yes, that's how I drink my coffee. The higher the fat, the lower the sugar (which also means lower lactose as has been pointed out). I have been known to bring my own heavy cream on vacation! Not sure it would be allowed on a ship (or if I want to carry it around).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Bingo!

The official definition according the the National Dairy Association: Half and half is simply a mixture of equal parts whole milk and cream

Everyone will, and should, make their choices as they seem fit.

Of course.

Believe it or not back in the day my Grandaddy used evaporated milk (that's tinned milk to you brits) in his coffee and I grew up loving it, still do on occasion, anything that comes from a cow is just OK with me.  Sorta like bacon, gotta love it!

They all still use evaporated milk  in Newfoundland in both tea and coffee,  eeewwww

36 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Then you didn't bring it up with TPTB.  Because if it fit your narrative of Royal "lying" to customers, I'm pretty confident you would have posted it.

Oh wait, that's right, you're just providing anecdotal information that on your cruise, the container labeled "Half and half" was just milk.  Got it. 

I’m waiting for a lab report of the crab cake.  I had it last night at Chops and it tastes the same as at home at my local upscale steak house. 

I’m just happy that the cruise “liquid coffee syrup” seems to be a thing of the past. No dairy product could make that taste good. 

• Like 1

Do we know if RC told it's employees to do this of if it was an employee decision or a manager?  I would question at the moment.  Speak to manager, head of F&B.  Until we have more info, I can't think it is a RC decision.  Sometimes employees do make decisions without consulting management.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Actually no, it’s evaporated milk.