The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 15th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Acadian Day (Canada), Relaxation Day, and National Best Friends Day

The main facts in human life are five: birth, food, sleep, love and death. - E. M. Forster

Meal Suggestion for today - Balsamic Chicken Kabobs
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Manhattan
Wine of the Day - Casa La Rad - Solarce Tinto 2018
Destination of the Day - Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Today in History:
1620 Mayflower sets sail from Southampton, England, with 102 Pilgrims

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Nieuw Statendam

Holyhead, Wales 0800-1700

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Oosterdam

Chania, Crete 0800-1700

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 0800-1700

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 16 Aug

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Nanortalik, Greenland 0900-1600

Zuiderdam

Reykjavik, Iceland 1100

0815World.thumb.png.bae288424db252ca420c9afb8c54e2aa.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.

It is currently sunny and 64°F.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

3 good days.

True quote.

Excellent food of the day.

Great day in history.

Never been to today's port so as always I look forward to seeing photos.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 24

Good morning and thank you for the Report.

A good collection of days, lots of things to celebrate.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  I'm sure I'll like the drink, hope the wine is good too.

Thanks in advance for pictures of today's port.

Prayers for many, I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Not much on the agenda for me.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  We have just arrived in Nanortalik, Greenland and it’s pretty foggy out.  I can see the village from the ship but the visibility isn’t great.  Hoping for some clearing as the morning goes on.  TV says our temp is 43 and will be 46.  Wow!  We have a map of town and will go over a bit later after the crowds go ashore.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Daily and Fleet Report.  Three cheers for National Arcadian Day (Canada), Relaxation Day and National Best Friends Day.  DH is relaxing right now.  After all, walking up all those stairs to breakfast is exhausting!  I'm sure today's quote is quite logical but we might find a little more to life than those five things.  Never forget taxes!  The menu suggestion sounds good, no thanks to the Jim Beam Manhattan and I have no clue what kind of wine that is.  That day in 1620 was quite an important day in history!  Thank you to Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.

Prayers for our whole group of Care people.🙏  Thankful to hear Baby Murphy was able to be off the ECMO and got some cuddles from her parents!  👶  Cheers for the Celebration list, and cruisers everywhere. Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for keeping up the lists.  Good news from the ship is that they will be holding a Mariner's Society luncheon for us on Wednesday, Aug. 16.  I've heard that some will receive Medallions though not everyone is invited to that.  So I assume only those receiving one get to go to it.  I hope in the future they will allow all Mariners to attend the Medallion receiving ceremony, then move on to the luncheon.  We've just cancelled our Pinnacle Grill lunch reservation for the 16th in order to attend the Mariner's Luncheon.

The port of the day is Hubbard Glacier, one we've not seen here before.  I have no link and probably won't be able to post any photos from my last visit there.  But surely some of you have some.  Thanks in advance for posting pics everyone!

Tonight we move our clocks back 30 minutes, after turning it back again another hour last night.  We are getting closer to Eastern time in the U.S.

Tendering is just now starting to Nanortalik.  Hoping for a safe and interesting day ashore for all the Zaandam passengers.  Cruise Director just said it is 41 out, disputing the TV weather.  No matter what the temp is we'd better dress warm and for changeable precipitation.  Have a great day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a rainy morning here and the temperatures are expected to drop during the day.  Yesterday was a busy day at work catching up from the three day weekend.  
 I found a Rotterdam cruise for December that works for our schedule’s.  I emailed  our PCC and requested the Advantage Fare.  She came back with pricing that was amazingly low, way lower than what I was seeing.  Later I logged into my account and sure enough I was seeing really good prices.  Maybe HAL should advise us that we have some Mariner pricing that isn’t published.  We almost went with another cruise line to sail with some friends.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Jim Beam Manhattan cocktail:

Ingredients
3 parts Jim Beam® Original
1 part Vermouth, Sweet
2 dashes Bitters
Garnish with Lemon Peel
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Stir all ingredients with ice in a mixing glass. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry and/or lemon peel.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 7.02.27 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou in the hospital

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-op

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina town gone

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Seasick Sailor’s teenager “S”

Sharon in AZ’s family member’s situation

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baby Murphy off ECMO

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

Mamaofami’s DH Sam released from the hospital to rehab

RMLincoln in NY for a family gathering

Highland Cruiser in Yellowstone Park with DGS

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 17 to Aug 26)

Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 17

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! It is a lovely morning with a gorgeous sunrise. But I know what is coming. Supposedly seasonal temps will start to return tomorrow. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. I really appreciate all you do.  Gym, Bindi walks, chores & a visit to our local wine bar. That should make for a full day. 

IMG_1633.jpeg.a0f9589b95db3b5cd82c9747b8c2c0f6.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg.7b181a9351d47e29c9921786dbf36a26.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Casa La Rad - Solarce Tinto 2018

This Spanish red has quite a variety of grapes & sounds like an amazing blend.  It is available from several online sources, with prices starting at $18.99.

Tim Atkin - 91

As perfumed as it is intriguing, the Solarce Tinto is an unusual cuvée of mostly Tempranillo with the remaining 60% divided between Graciano, Garnacha, Maturana and Cabernet Sauvignon. Smooth and grassy, with cassis and green herb aromas and a smooth, glossy, stylishly oaked palate. 2022-28

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 3

@grapau27 thank you for the gorgeous garden photos.  What a beautiful retreat from the world. 

Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.  Acadian Day is a big day of recognition in Canada.  My best friend is many states away.  My DS is my closest BF now. I think we had a relaxation day a few days ago.  We are short timers here so no relaxation.  A quick synopsis of life by Forster.  

I will pass on the balsamic chicken and the bitter drink and another mystery wine.  We visited the Hubbard Glacier on my first HA cruise in September 2016 on the Noordam. 

Thanks for the care and celebrations lists.  Prayers for a good response for @smitty34877 DH on his treatment of low WBC.  Prayers for baby Murphy to continue to progress.  Prayers for the people of Maui.  Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. 

It is 46 degrees right now.  It really is getting old to sit inside a cabin all shut up waiting for it to warm up.  It makes it easy for me to do the hard work in the garden but my tomato plants are loaded with big tomatoes but they just are getting a hint of color.  We are having the boat pulled out on September 5 and will head back home on September 12.  Normally it is hard for me to leave here but with the poor fishing and the cool weather it will be nice to get home and see family.   Have a nice day. Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  The Acandians have quite a history, with some becoming the forerunners of today's Cajuns in New Orleans.  I'll gladly celebrate Best Friends and Relaxation..  If I had been on my  planned Grand Alaska trip this year I would have been to Hubbard Glacier on the Noordam yesterday.  Those on the Mayflower had quite a journey ahead of them.  The quote and the meal are both interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Carrot and Ginger Soup, Pinnacle Burger, and Sorbet as served in MS Prinsendam's Pinnacle Grill August 4, 2011.

Slept later than planned this morning.  The weather outside is described as "soupy" with storms so not sure what I will end up doing today.

Roy

• Like 30

Good morning. It was raining overnight and left us with an oppressive level of humidity. I have very big hair!

I will salute all the days, especially my best friend. We have known each other since 1972 . We have been to Hubbard Glacier .

@grapau27, your Garden is just lovely. Thanks so much for the pictures.

@marshhawk, Annie, I am thinking of the two of you and hope Chuck continued to feel well after the infusion.

@JazzyVI was so sorry to hear about the explosions and fatalities in the town near your home. 
We continue to see some progress in the right direction with my DH. He walked with the PT yesterday and I walked with him as well. He is still a little confused but that is slowly improving. Today he has an MRI and if the bloodwork is better he may go home soon.Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes. It has been a great help to the whole family.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Traditional balsamic vinegar is only made in Reggio Emilia and Modena, Italy, using traditional methods, and production is overseen from beginning to end by a special certification agency. It is very expensive. The process begins with grape must —whole pressed grapes complete with juice, skin, seeds and stems. The must from sweet white locally grown and late-harvested grapes —usually Lambrusco or Trebbiano varieties— is cooked over a direct flame until concentrated by roughly half, then left to ferment naturally for up to three weeks, and then matured and further concentrated for a minimum of 12 years in a "batteria," or five or more successively smaller aging barrels. These barrels are made of different types of wood such as oak, chestnut, cherry, juniper, and mulberry, so that the vinegar can take on the complex flavors of the casks.

Once a year the vinegar is bottled from the smallest cask in the sequence. Each cask is then topped up with vinegar from the next cask up, with the largest cask getting filled with the new yield. None of the casks are ever completely drained. This aging process is similar to the solera process used for fine sherries, ports,  sweet wines, and Spanish brandies. The vinegar gets thicker and more concentrated as it ages because of evaporation that occurs through the walls of the barrels—the vinegar in the smallest barrel will be much thicker and more syrupy than the liquid in the successively larger barrels.

Traditional balsamic is not a cooking ingredient — heating it will kill its distinctive bouquet — and it would be wasted as an ingredient in a salad dressing. Instead, use it where it can shine. Try putting a few drops on fresh berries, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, or creamy desserts like panna cotta or vanilla ice cream. It can be used at the end of the cooking, drizzled over traditional veal scaloppine or a rich risotto. It's also great over grilled meats and seafood. Add about a teaspoon per person just before serving to get the best of its flavor. In Italy really good balsamic is also drunk as a palette cleanser, aperitif or digestif, especially on special occasions such as weddings. The name "balsamic" connotes the vinegar's original use as a tonic, or "balm."

What I have in my cupboard, and will be used for today’s recipes is “imitation balsamic” which is really just vinegar with sweetener and coloring. They may be made with wine vinegar, white vinegar, or cider vinegar, and they're industrially-produced to emulate the texture and flavor of balsamic, at a fraction of the price. While these vinegars are nothing like traditional balsamic, they do have a place in the kitchen in things like salad dressings and marinades. 

Healthy Balsamic Chicken Kabobs marinates the chicken  in a sweet balsamic sauce then skewers them with red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, yellow squash, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. 

JxEXtv4I0kdbRpvDYTMTKaFtGmSsDqai4LhJ-eS9

Balsamic Glazed Chicken Kabobs  first marinates the chicken and after grilling applies a balsamic reduction or glaze.  Balsamic glazes are easily purchased at your local grocery store.

T7fbx0xHM4141P2wVXxfwqklzm9vi-zhzAkBmJqP

I’ve looked at many recipes and the balsamic marinades are very similar.  Use boneless breasts or thighs, whatever your family prefers.  Use the vegetables you have in your refrigerator or purchase your family's favorites. These kabobs look easy and flavorful. I hope you give them a try. 

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It was raining overnight and left us with an oppressive level of humidity. I have very big hair!

I will salute all the days, especially my best friend. We have known each other since 1972 . We have been to Hubbard Glacier .

@marshhawk, Annie, I am thinking of the two of you and hope Chuck continued to feel well after the infusion.

@JazzyVI was so sorry to hear about the explosions and fatalities in the town near your home. 
We continue to see some progress in the right direction with my DH. He walked with the PT yesterday and I walked with him as well. He is still a little confused but that is slowly improving. Today he has an MRI and if the bloodwork is better he may go home soon.Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes. It has been a great help to the whole family.

Thank you Terry.

I'm so pleased to hear your better news this morning regarding Lou.

Prayers 🙏 for you,Tana and Lou.

Graham.

prayer-for.gif

• Like 18

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days!  Acadian Day is well celebrated in New Brunswick in many areas.  Where would we be without our best friends?  ♥️ 

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.f034e85f2e6b49a8db240bb0edb71c74.jpeg

There is a lot of truth to the quote.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  somehow going to visit ice when we finally have decent weather and are surrounded by it so many months of the year did not appeal to DD DH and I and it was postponed until we grew much older. 

IMG_0940.jpeg.739ed12bf0a0b96313f03ace32895c35.jpeg

It’s so dark out, it looks like 8 PM at night.  Threats of more rain.  The Farmers Almanac sure was wrong on our precipitation forecast this year.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues and worries and for those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_0836.jpeg.c5228cc3a40c2afe1d22bc36e0218e66.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday, everyone

IMG_0822.thumb.jpeg.5a2c82d5af2864ae6eca054852d7adc6.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Haha 11

A very quick good morning from central Texas.  It is 73F and feels like 73F with the humidity at 62% and a dew point of 59F.  Our predicted high will be 96F.  We really did have a cold front come through last night.  It looks like we won't be back in the triple digits until Thursday, when the predicted high will be 109F.  No that is not a typo, and it will be really hot Wednesday and Thursday.

I need to not only go to our local grocery store and a couple of other stores, but to W-M about 22 miles away.  I'm going to try to head out soon so I won't spend the entire day running errands.  

I will celebrate Acadian Day, and best friends day.  I'll try to find time to celebrate relaxation day.  One of my two best friends and her husband will be here this afternoon for happy hour.

The quote is true, but there is more to life, tool

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice.

We have been to Hubbard Glacier many times, and I'll look for my pictures when I finish my errands.

Today in history began the most challenging part of the Pilgrim's journey to the new world.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

A photo of our garden for our plant lovers.

IMG_20230815_113420.jpg

Thank you, Graham, for the lovely garden pictures.

53 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a rainy morning here and the temperatures are expected to drop during the day.  Yesterday was a busy day at work catching up from the three day weekend.  
 I found a Rotterdam cruise for December that works for our schedule’s.  I emailed  our PCC and requested the Advantage Fare.  She came back with pricing that was amazingly low, way lower than what I was seeing.  Later I logged into my account and sure enough I was seeing really good prices.  Maybe HAL should advise us that we have some Mariner pricing that isn’t published.  We almost went with another cruise line to sail with some friends.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

Jake, congratulations on booking another cruise, and getting a great deal.

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, I'm very happy your DH is improving.  I hope he is home soon and has a complete recovery.

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days!  Acadian Day is well celebrated in New Brunswick in many areas.  Where would we be without our best friends?  ♥️ 

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.f034e85f2e6b49a8db240bb0edb71c74.jpeg

There is a lot of truth to the quote.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  somehow going to visit ice when we finally have decent weather and are surrounded by it so many months of the year did not appeal to DD DH and I and it was postponed until we grew much older. 

IMG_0940.jpeg.739ed12bf0a0b96313f03ace32895c35.jpeg

It’s so dark out, it looks like 8 PM at night.  Threats of more rain.  The Farmers Almanac sure was wrong on our precipitation forecast this year.

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues and worries and for those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_0836.jpeg.c5228cc3a40c2afe1d22bc36e0218e66.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday, everyone

IMG_0822.thumb.jpeg.5a2c82d5af2864ae6eca054852d7adc6.jpeg

Jacqui, I'm sorry your summer has been so wet.  I hope the Farmer's Alamac is also wrong about our winter weather.  They are predicting another very cold and bad winter for Texas.

366270470_763489832444707_5663774803926281610_n.thumb.jpg.16b8553e577fcbd2ed93caec6204cd63.jpg

366319969_296035799743498_1138103505569463690_n.jpg.27918beff0077cf24b71d3438b2b6ce3.jpg

366367889_612423721011937_8218976829127223025_n.thumb.jpg.4e2571e4f7bdec4ec2c1541d625a678f.jpg

366586502_6773715919345230_8868610919675235779_n.jpg.e1a45f88352615d6e7618bce2871b8e8.jpg

366712290_576893537964604_638154331337373779_n.jpg.1b9e3ed3723a8659807709ec77900c88.jpg

367412735_710393751129047_3027208311357828089_n.thumb.jpg.ea7a8efeae68cd00bf5eaa97871dd953.jpg

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 22

I checked my phone and found some photos from our 2019 Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. We were at Hubbard Glacier on a beautiful sunny day, Sept.5, the day before our 50th wedding anniversary. 

IMG_7596.thumb.jpeg.0a8b57653f1316424c46be784a849c34.jpeg

IMG_7602.thumb.jpeg.a5748bb1f648af1443264dbc71c38251.jpeg

IMG_7603.thumb.jpeg.6ae4c15617eb49c6459c426497db8f87.jpeg

IMG_7604.thumb.jpeg.6c0d3848c8ba5384b7de6a097b59035c.jpeg

IMG_7606.thumb.jpeg.143a71e0dfb8f2896b064ffc86e32525.jpeg

IMG_7650.thumb.jpeg.59bcc4b35d48deb9ec74ad90862dd4e5.jpeg

IMG_7607.jpeg

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Morning all. Slept in and adjusting to Central time. Flight home was uneventful other than some moments of turbulence.  I presume many of us have been to Hubbard Glacier. 
Have an upcoming appointment at our bank which should complete our getting the Living Trust complete.

@smitty34877 Encouraging news- 🙏

So much for that enjoyable PA weather. Already 82 and muggy here.

Thanks for the reports and specialty post. Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.8abdf215674444eb238f4d6c50dbb2eb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bbd63f8587a06229742e3473b908d490.jpegimage.jpeg.64e8c806337fcc194dcd6ef2f0972ff9.jpegimage.jpeg.a6230510ccd1222dcaf90abda72e4c13.jpegimage.jpeg.2f59040f8786148bb06dcb351903ac11.jpegimage.jpeg.af9f5bcf978ad79e9c4affbc38de739b.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I checked my phone and found some photos from our 2019 Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. We were at Hubbard Glacier on a beautiful sunny day, Sept.5, the day before our 50th wedding anniversary. 

IMG_7596.thumb.jpeg.0a8b57653f1316424c46be784a849c34.jpeg

IMG_7602.thumb.jpeg.a5748bb1f648af1443264dbc71c38251.jpeg

IMG_7603.thumb.jpeg.6ae4c15617eb49c6459c426497db8f87.jpeg

IMG_7604.thumb.jpeg.6c0d3848c8ba5384b7de6a097b59035c.jpeg

IMG_7606.thumb.jpeg.143a71e0dfb8f2896b064ffc86e32525.jpeg

IMG_7650.thumb.jpeg.59bcc4b35d48deb9ec74ad90862dd4e5.jpeg

IMG_7607.jpeg

Great photos Sandi.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1