Surprised there's no story up yet regarding couple stuck in Cozumel

klfrodo

Wishing good luck to them. I hope they make it back home quickly.

This article shows that one Mom has booked a flight from Tampa to be there with them. 

"Thursday, Ortega booked a flight out of TPA to help out in any way she could. 

She said, "I need my babies home. Please help me get them home. I don't care if I have to get a passport. I need them home. I need them home."

https://www.fox13news.com/news/hit-and-run-cruise-excursion-crash-traps-2-tampa-women-in-mexico-i-need-my-babies-home

Looks like Mom will have to apply for an "emergency" passport?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

This article shows that one Mom has booked a flight from Tampa to be there with them. 

She said, "I need my babies home. Please help me get them home. I don't care if I have to get a passport. I need them home. I need them home."

https://www.fox13news.com/news/hit-and-run-cruise-excursion-crash-traps-2-tampa-women-in-mexico-i-need-my-babies-home

That’s after she pays the medical bill in cash.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiserNC said:

Honestly, a reason why you have insurance and travel with a passport. It really isn't that expensive! Hope they make it through it. 

Medical travel insurance is generally extremely limited in terms of both payouts and the scope of what is covered.  You'd have to pay a hefty sum for a plan to paid the medical bills in full for such accident (the article mentions that the hospital won't do anything beyond stabilize them since they lack medical insurance... even with travel insurance, it would cover nothing more).  And the reality is that medical in Mexico is cheap -- they could negotiate the bill to less than what insurance would've cost them.  

They're young but obviously the smartest thing to have done would've been not to rent the scooter to begin with.  If you think people drive aggressively in Florida (and they do), you haven't see aggressive until you've been to Mexico/ Latin America.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

Medical travel insurance is generally extremely limited in terms of both payouts and the scope of what is covered.  You'd have to pay a hefty sum for a plan to paid the medical bills in full for such accident (the article mentions that the hospital won't do anything beyond stabilize them since they lack medical insurance... even with travel insurance, it would cover nothing more).  And the reality is that medical in Mexico is cheap -- they could negotiate the bill to less than what insurance would've cost them.  

They're young but obviously the smartest thing to have done would've been not to rent the scooter to begin with.  If you think people drive aggressively in Florida (and they do), you haven't see aggressive until you've been to Mexico/ Latin America.  

I don’t know where you get your travel insurance from, but this is exactly what it would have covered.

Now, travel insurance is a reimbursement type of insurance even medical. With Carnivals insurance being secondary, it might have been no help. Carnivals policy as secondary is limited at $25K. A 3rd party policy (other than what the cruise line sells) may have ( with the right policy) provided the upfront monies to at least provide the surgery required. At least a 3rd party policy is usually a minimum of $100K.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

The women will need to present themselves at the Consulate.  Mom has her passport. 

34 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Over 30+ cruises and not even a scratch. Sure, got a little hurt while being blind stinking drunk, but not bad enough that would require medical attention...knock on wood...

Just as well you didn’t buy travel insurance. It does not cover blind stinking drunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

No Insurance

No passports

Wrecked scooter

I said on another social medium I wouldnt rent a car .. or even a scooter. I saw a girl rent a scooter and hardly out of the parking right into a car, new driver. Right there across from the port. I was hugely attacked for the warning. I've read and seen too much. 

Someone today posted her daughter used a credit card here and it was hacked. And again I'm a terrible person for saying use cash in ports. Told be nice. Just take some cash and pay for a taxi. They dont cost that much there. Why take stupid chances.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Someone today posted her daughter used a credit card here and it was hacked. And again I'm a terrible person for saying use cash in ports. Told be nice. Just take some cash and pay for a taxi. They dont cost that much there. Why take stupid chances.

I never use my credit card in foreign ports.  Alaska only ( and Key West) 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

And speaking of taking stupid chances...

You seriously believe that it is safer to walk around crowded tourist areas/cities with a wad of cash in your pocket rather than a credit card or two?  LOL

Worst case with a credit card is that it gets hacked or stolen and you contact your cc company to have it cancelled. But you are out no money. But with a wad of cash, not only would you be out that money if you were pickpocketed or robbed, but you could also be seriously injured if the thief decides that getting your money is more important than your life.

But that's okay, you do you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

You seriously believe that it is safer to walk around crowded tourist areas/cities with a wad of cash in your pocket rather than a credit card or two?  LOL

Worst case with a credit card is that it gets hacked or stolen and you contact your cc company to have it cancelled. But you are out no money. But with a wad of cash, not only would you be out that money if you were pickpocketed or robbed, but you could also be seriously injured if the thief decides that getting your money is more important than your life.

Just to add in, we’re just a few years from being a cashless society. It’s generational. My parents wrote checks and used travelers checks. I’m a combination of cash and electronic funds. My kids (in their 30’s) are almost completely electronic. Europe is ahead of us in this respect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Wad of cash?  More than $40

• Like 1

Wad of cash? How much are you spending??? 🤣🤣🤣 I, too, don’t use credit cards in foreign ports. And I don’t carry huge wads of cash. That would be stupid. And always get travel insurance. Didn’t when we first stated but quickly realized something bad can happen. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I said on another social medium I wouldnt rent a car .. or even a scooter. I saw a girl rent a scooter and hardly out of the parking right into a car, new driver. Right there across from the port. I was hugely attacked for the warning. I've read and seen too much. 

Well I agree with you.  I have a couple experiences with my credit card getting hacked in port, and it was NOT all dismissed by the CC company in one case.  In another, I started receiving hundreds of Amazon packages and I never figured out how that scam was working but the Amazon guy that picked up all the packages (after contacting them to figure it out) said it happens frequently (they also had put through another Prime subscription).  One of those happened in Costa Maya, the other at Mahogany Bay.

We take enough cash for drinks or small purchases and a credit card not to be used unless we have a true emergency, like missing the ship for some reason.  Honestly, we don't spend much in port anymore - after a while, seen that done that sets in.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Speaking of not reading... I never said I put cash in a pocket. So making stuff up then railing hahahaha.

I would never ever do that. My neck purse is down into my bra I mentioned. Google a neck purse instead of making stuff up. I carry a purse with a small amount as I said in a hidden pocket you have to turn the purse inside out to reach. It has a shoulder strap I put across my body. And then keep my hand on it across my body. Small amount only for small things carried this way. The rest is down in my bra the few times I went to buy meds in Belize for cash. 

How do you read that and think I said I put a wad of cash in my pocket. I am pretty exasperated with my roll call posting stupid stuff, leaving this morning. I have low tolerance for people who make up stuff. At least stick to facts.  

Even skim reading imo I would see neck purse and think. ...its worn around the neck. Dropped into my bra. 

I really need this cruise. Stressed due to my moms death and paperwork so my tolerance for people who cant read or making up rules is extra low.  I am guessing you are Male., women I know usually have a purse and not carrying money in a pocket. I wear mine with a body strap and walk with my hand on it. Take precautions dude. Be smart. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Just to add in, we’re just a few years from being a cashless society. It’s generational. My parents wrote checks and used travelers checks. I’m a combination of cash and electronic funds. My kids (in their 30’s) are almost completely electronic. Europe is ahead of us in this respect.

I can confirm that about Europe. We had Euros, but almost every place we tried to spend them in Amsterdam only took credit or debit cards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, balcony bound said:

Well I agree with you.  I have a couple experiences with my credit card getting hacked in port, and it was NOT all dismissed by the CC company in one case.  In another, I started receiving hundreds of Amazon packages and I never figured out how that scam was working but the Amazon guy that picked up all the packages (after contacting them to figure it out) said it happens frequently (they also had put through another Prime subscription).  One of those happened in Costa Maya, the other at Mahogany Bay.

We take enough cash for drinks or small purchases and a credit card not to be used unless we have a true emergency, like missing the ship for some reason.  Honestly, we don't spend much in port anymore - after a while, seen that done that sets in.

I'm very curious as to what the Amazon scam is. How did the scammers benefit?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

No Insurance

No passports

Wrecked scooter

So, what is the story?  I have no interest/patience for watching a YouTube video. Is this story any different? Injured too badly to reboard the ship? Missed departure? Told to pay up front for hospital care, like in much of the world?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, logan25 said:

Actually, the insurance will not ask you what led to being injured.  Present medical expenditures.  They reimburse.

Actually, no.

We are talking about travel insurance, not your ordinary healthcare policy. They have a right to and will examine your medical records to determine if the claim is valid.

Read the list of exclusions to see what other activities you might want to avoid.

Edited by Babr
  • Haha 1