Lock your cabin door

BamaVol

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Did you enable the "do not disturb" feature on the screen?  That should help too.  If you had it on and the steward entered that's another story.

We had DND on and a female steward entered when my husband was in undies!  We were not happy.  One knock, she entered before we even had a chance to move one inch to the door.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Isn't there still a deadbolt that you can control from the inside?

I haven't been on a cruise since January, but our habit is to use the deadbolt anytime we are inside the room whether it be a cruise ship or a hotel.

There is and we do use it at night, but not usually when we are awake. 

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

These days being a millionaire doesn't mean much if you take net worth into account. Real estate prices are crazy. I bought my house for $109k. Today it would sell for $450k. Put the same house in San Francisco and it would be well over $1m.

Off topic but you paid more than I did (106k, don't you love Prop 13) 

As a solo I try to remember to do both. Lock door and DND. Problem is the steward won't clean my room if I forget to change it to 'Service Requested.' Yeah, I've forgotten to take it off before

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Level six said:

There is and we do use it at night, but not usually when we are awake. 

Gotcha.  We checked into a hotel several years ago and were given our key cards.  We went to the assigned room, opened the door, and the room was occupied by two couples in various stages of getting ready dinner.  They were as surprised as we were.

The front desk had assigned us the wrong room.

If those folks had used the deadbolt, we would not have walked in on them.

Just sayin'

• Like 2

Many years ago long before cruise ships, and hotels, had digital locks I was on a cruise (forget which line) and the means of entry to the cabin was with a plastic card that had a matrix of holes in it (anyone remember those?). As there is a limited number of combinations of these holes there are obviously duplicates.

At dinner one night there was a lady on our table who related the tale that she was resting in her cabin when the cabin door suddenly opened and in walks a gentleman - he was on the wrong deck/cabin but his card opened the door!

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Just realize that even if you set a "Do Not Disturb" on your cabin door screen, it can be changed by anyone walking down the hallway. Kid love to do this. 

Just realize that even if you set a "Do Not Disturb" on your cabin door screen, it can be changed by anyone walking down the hallway. Kid love to do this. 

Not on the NCL Prima on which we sailed last month. Do not disturb or fix room is controlled electronically within the room.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not on the NCL Prima on which we sailed last month. Do not disturb or fix room is controlled electronically within the room.

Definitely a better option. You would have thought it could only be controlled by the occupants & cabin steward on Princess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Gotcha.  We checked into a hotel several years ago and were given our key cards.  We went to the assigned room, opened the door, and the room was occupied by two couples in various stages of getting ready dinner.  They were as surprised as we were.

The front desk had assigned us the wrong room.

If those folks had used the deadbolt, we would not have walked in on them.

Just sayin'

In many years of business and leisure travel involving hundreds of hotel rooms, that has happened to me twice.  I remember once walking into a room and hearing someone in the shower. That was a close call.  Only once did I meet the legitimate occupant face to face.  We were both shocked. But, there were also quite a number of times I was assigned a room that wasn’t ready to occupied - usually unmade beds. Mistakes happen more often than they should.

• Haha 1

Definitely a better option. You would have thought it could only be controlled by the occupants & cabin steward on Princess.

Yes, it was an option that made sense. It was right by the cabin door, and the control to make the room cooler and warmer were also right there.

But if Princess had this option, I am sure the wonderful IT people who brought you the medallion would have screwed ti up. 🤣

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

Off topic but you paid more than I did (106k, don't you love Prop 13) 

As a solo I try to remember to do both. Lock door and DND. Problem is the steward won't clean my room if I forget to change it to 'Service Requested.' Yeah, I've forgotten to take it off before

Been there, done that. Ah, well. I can live with having to straighten up my own cabin.

• Like 2

My best friend had this happen to her on multiple occasions, one Princess  cruise. The steward repeatedly would just barge in. Several times, we’ve had one do a quick three knock and immediately open the door before you could even have a chance to say someone’s in here. There should be better training about this for the stewards.

• Like 1

I would say this.  Never had an issue with the DND sign or the new red code on the screen.  In fact, I tried to tell housekeeping to come in do something one port day and I was setting the code to red as we did not need service from Stewart.  But I was told they would not come in, so had to leave it alone and then just advised steward verbally we didn't need anything.  He wouldn't come in either when it was red even though I told him too.  Perhaps "the system" registers if they violate a red sign and they get hauled on the proverbial carpet.

20 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

My best friend had this happen to her on multiple occasions, one Princess  cruise. The steward repeatedly would just barge in. Several times, we’ve had one do a quick three knock and immediately open the door before you could even have a chance to say someone’s in here. There should be better training about this for the stewards.

Totally unacceptable behavior. Did they speak with the steward regarding the issue? This person would have been mentioned by name in my post-cruise survey.

I had this happen to me on the Discovery inaugural cruise.  I went to bed early that night and after changing into my nightgown I found an engineer in my room fixing the faulty medallion door screen!  No knock and no apology, totally unaware.

• Like 1

We booked a Thanksgiving cruise 3 days before departure on a Royal Caribbean ship, called and got the last interior cabin available.

When we entered the cabin on embarkation day, there was a crew member all settled in, working on his PC at the desk.

We all went to GS to get it straightened out and unfortunately the crew member was moved. I still feel bad for him to this day. 

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Conversely, that would mean that DND could be turned on by anybody walking down the hall. How idiotic but then it's Princess IT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Conversely, that would mean that DND could be turned on by anybody walking down the hall. How idiotic but then it's Princess IT.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that you had to have your medallion to change the light from red to green.

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that you had to have your medallion to change the light from red to green.

That could be true.  I have not tried to set the thing without having it in my pocket I suppose.  No idea, but it makes sense if it works that way.

• Like 1