How Important is Having a Mobile Phone Onboard?

mckath

Hello all -

My husband and I will be on the Rotterdam in January.  This is our first cruise. I know that HAL has a phone app that is useful on the cruise but I am wondering if it will be a necessity.  Both our phones are several years old (Samsung Note 9 and Motorola Moto ZPlay) but neither of us wants to upgrade our phones just for the trip.  What are your thoughts?  I'm pretty sure the Note 9 will be fine but I am not too sure about his phone. Will we be OK with just one phone that can access the app?  What do people use the app for once they are on board?

Thanks,
Kathy

We do not have smartphones and have no problems. We do take our laptops, so they substitute quite well. If you do not have smartphones or laptops, you will do just fine. The interactive TV has your account on it. You won't be able to make reservations on it but making them in person or via the phone works just as well. You won't be able to see your booked shore excursions on the TV (unless it has been upgraded), so maybe a trip to the shore excursion desk early on the cruise might be of use. We can see them on our laptops. Your keycard is scanned when joining the excursion if you don't have the app.

If just one phone can access the app, about the only process you won't be able to use is texting each other. I wouldn't worry.

• Like 3

The Rotterdam is the newest ship. It will have the up to date TV. You can do almost everything on the TV including booking shore excursios and looking at your account. It is a good idea when first on board to visit the dining room manager's desk and book any specialty dinners that you want.  However, you can see if your phone will accept the app right now. Go to the app store and download the Holland America Navigator App. If it downloads , you can sign in and it should show your cruise.  Not all functions are available until closer to your cruise but you can start familiarizing yourselves with it. I travel solo so I don't know if you both need the App or not. 

• Like 3

You can survive without it.  I like my technology but it really isn’t necessary.  

no matter what phone you bring it is of utmost importance to put it into airplane mode as soon as you step on the ship.  The ocean based roaming charges can be very large.   If you don’t know how to do that just shut the phone down. For emergency purposes give home the Holland America emergency number.  These are for emergencies only and the ship will call your room phone or send someone down depending on urgency. 

Business Hours: 206-626-9000
After Hours & Holidays: 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My phone is usually turned off on the cruise - I like my Ipad. 😉 

But no, technology is not a necessity.  TV has it all as does your daily programme.

Do what suits you - don’t worry and have FUN.

• Like 7

Both of your phones will work just fine with the HAL Navigator App, if you choose to use it.  As others have said, all HAL communication is also via paper or on your cabin's TV, in particular the daily events program (When & Where) will be left on your bed each evening by your room stewards, and the MDR and specialty restaurants have printed menus.  That said, you probably want to have a phone, laptop, or tablet, to email friends and family back home.

The only reason that I view a phone essential on a cruise is emergency communication with the ship if we are on a private tour or traveling around the port city on our own.  We have never needed it for this, but it is reassuring to be able to call the ship if we would have a medical emergency or to say we are going to be 10 minutes late returning due to heavy traffic, and hopefully the ship would then not sail without us.  Of course for this, you will actually need a cell calling/data plan that works in foreign countries, which is a whole different subject.

• Like 3

We frequently use the chat feature on the Navigator app to tell each other where we are on the ship or to ask the other when they want to go to lunch, for example. Also when we were with our son and family and babysitting our grandson they were able to communicate with us while they were in the Pinnacle.

Not important at all, unless there is some personal reason that you need to maintain contact with someone on shore.  We've been cruising nearly 20 years and for all that time except our past cruise upon immediately boarding the ship phones have been turned off and locked in the safe.  The only reason our most recent cruise was any different was because we had internet access with HIA.  For us, internet access throughout a short cruise isn't necessary at all.  On our upcoming cruise in Nov we will once again be locking our phones in the safe until the last day before disembarkation.  On that day I will purchase wifi access for 1 day just to check in for our return flights at the end of the cruise.

The Navigator app did not add much value to our cruise experience.  I certainly would not recommend anyone buy a new phone just to use it.

• Like 1

You most definitely do not need the app. When I go cruising, the phones are locked away in the safe. The only times they come out are on port days. (I would literally be lost without Google Maps!)

Pack a highlighter. When the daily arrives, highlight any activity or event you are interested in and then carry around the schedule page in your pocket.

Personally, I am torn about technology. It is a very handy tool and often makes life easier (e.g. checking-in, asking questions in online forums). However, technology also takes us away from life. When I look over at dinner and see an entire family staring at screens instead of conversing with each other, I get depressed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mckath said:

Hello all -

My husband and I will be on the Rotterdam in January.  This is our first cruise. I know that HAL has a phone app that is useful on the cruise but I am wondering if it will be a necessity.  Both our phones are several years old (Samsung Note 9 and Motorola Moto ZPlay) but neither of us wants to upgrade our phones just for the trip.  What are your thoughts?  I'm pretty sure the Note 9 will be fine but I am not too sure about his phone. Will we be OK with just one phone that can access the app?  What do people use the app for once they are on board?

Thanks,
Kathy

As for if you will be ok or if it will be a necessity, we were on the Zuiderdam for five weeks this summer and felt fine without any of us having/using the app. The app is convenient as a reference and as HAL tries to make processes digital, but, as others have said, I feel like it will not a gatekeeper to enjoying your cruise. The TV in your room will help - I encourage you to take a moment when you get onboard to look at what's available. Among other things (and the bevy of TV/movie options), you can see route and current location, weather forecast a few days in advance, daily menus for dining locations, account statement, port information, and excursion descriptions. The interface will allow you to book excursions, and they did add additional displays in the interface for excursion meeting times and locations as well. A paper Daily Program for the next day is also provided; I agree with bringing along a highlighter or two if you'd like to differentiate your respective preferred events. In addition, the Excursion Office, Guest Services Desk, and other similar locations still exist and are staffed onboard - I don't think I ever had a time with those interactions when I felt 'this would have been so much easier if I just had the app.'

What would I like to have had the app for? I think it does make it easier to keep in touch if you want to contact other friends or party members onboard; otherwise I think it's basically just through room phone or agreed meeting time/space - maybe bring a notepad or some sticky notes if that might be handy for you both? I do think I also would have liked some of the immediate feedback option that the app seemed to allow, both in terms of voicing any... requested adjustments or places to improve, and more often to say 'yes, this was great; thank you for that' rather than waiting until the post-cruise survey. 

In terms of the title of 'how important is having a mobile phone onboard,' even without the app:

We still used our phones/devices in multiple functions, including: 

1) Alarm and timekeeper, on and off ship

2) Documentation and reference: Taking a photo of the Daily Program for my own reference during the day (only one provided per cabin). Taking photos of the menu for post-cruise memory. General camera-ness for food and scenery. (Do a quick check as to your memory/storage pre-travel, maybe.)

3) Records assistance/daily journal: General thoughts in the moment or down to little details that will blur post-cruise. (I personally would've liked to have keeping notes earlier of all the crew to thank in the post-cruise survey, particularly without the app's timely feedback function.)

4) Trip management: As mentioned by others above, things like check-in and a safeguard for emergency contact. Also, getting or keeping in touch with any independent bookings, or doing some quick look-ups as to highlights in your next port or walkability. (Double-check your phone plan coverage.)

5) Keeping in touch in general.

Hope this helps provide a bit more reference. All this text just to say, I think you're well within understanding to not upgrade, and your cruise experience and enjoyment will be much beyond just the footnote of interactions potentially from the app. Do heed the advice as by others to airplane mode and avoiding unnecessary charges.

I hope you both have a lovely first cruise next year (and, if you haven't already, maybe check to see if there's a Roll Call thread already active for your trip)!

• Like 3

I would never go ashore without a cell phone and a data plan.   

If you get injured and end up in the hospital, being able to reach out to insurance companies, physicians, and Holland America would be worth its weight in gold.    Think of the cost of your phone and calling plan as a small add-on to the cost of your trip insurance.     

Think about how you will communicate in an emergency ashore.

Sure, the hospital may have landlines you could use.   Do you want to use that as your only link to your loved ones in the USA?

Could you get by without one?  Sure - many people do - but IMO, the cost of a smart phone is relatively small, and the benefits are huge.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Access to a ton more info in one spot.

Thanks.  Is there still a printed daily schedule of some sort?  I eschew technology for the most part while cruising.  I do use wifi to keep in touch with SWMBO when she stays home, do my airline checkin at the end, and take the occasional photo.  That's about it.

If I can find a shady spot on the promenade to read, someplace to get something to eat when I'm hungry, and a wee dram in the evening, I'm good.  Throw in a good lecture series and I'm over the moon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks.  Is there still a printed daily schedule of some sort?  I eschew technology for the most part while cruising.  I do use wifi to keep in touch with SWMBO when she stays home, do my airline checkin at the end, and take the occasional photo.  That's about it.

If I can find a shady spot on the promenade to read, someplace to get something to eat when I'm hungry, and a wee dram in the evening, I'm good.  Throw in a good lecture series and I'm over the moon.

Yes, there is still a printed schedule.  We just find everything we need to pretty much be in one spot, including the schedule, your room account, menus, excursions,  and a number of other items that result in having paper all over the place.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I would never go ashore without a cell phone and a data plan.   

If you get injured and end up in the hospital, being able to reach out to insurance companies, physicians, and Holland America would be worth its weight in gold.    Think of the cost of your phone and calling plan as a small add-on to the cost of your trip insurance.     

Think about how you will communicate in an emergency ashore.

Sure, the hospital may have landlines you could use.   Do you want to use that as your only link to your loved ones in the USA?

Could you get by without one?  Sure - many people do - but IMO, the cost of a smart phone is relatively small, and the benefits are huge.

I am with The-Inside-Cabin on this one, it is wise to have a smart phone while ashore for mapping and emergencies. If you carry one ashore, why not download the app and see if it is of use to you aboard?

You can survive without one. Bill and Mary Ann eschew phones, have done world cruises without and are currently posting about their 77 day cruise: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2961723-from-cool-alaska-to-the-balmy-south-pacific-sail-with-bill-mary-ann-on-the-volendam-9-6-23-to11-22-23-77-days/?do=getNewComment

I would feel naked without my iPhone. Never know when there might be a photo opp, text or e-mail of interest, need to Google something, etc. I'm retired and cruise often enough that I don't think of it as a vacation, so why would I not use something on a cruise that is so much a part of my daily life? I'm glad I have an app I can use on the cruise and that cruise lines are moving toward better use of the technology.