Alcohol package, wait time between drinks ?

mcatmcat

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

No rule, but we were cruising last NYE and our friend that had the package was sharing with our other friend…..right at the bar, trying to hide it, but they were slowed down somehow, but they didn’t elaborate. They told me this while they were still sitting at the bar!

Probably because the bartender realized what they were doing.  Your "friend's" package should have been cut off and and both of them should have been made to pay for their drinks.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

Probably because the bartender realized what they were doing.  Your "friend's" package should have been cut off and and both of them should have been made to pay for their drinks.

I’m sure that’s true…..but possibly because this was a New Years cruise and at the time there was a thing going on in the centrum and this was the bar that’s there, and it was the last night of the cruise, all he did was slow them down. I don’t agree with anyone doing that, so I didn’t comment how I felt with what they were doing, but it shows me their integrity level. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I believe it is 15 mins but not enforced, if there was no time limit you should be able to get doubles , that rarely happens. 

I know not of any "rule" with Royal. There is a courtesy from the consumer to the staff to wait before ordering next drink. But if you can consume (alcoholic drinks)  enough to where the bartender (staff folks) needs to consider, then WOW.
in my experience, I have only seen folks at that level on the Carnival (the two I have been on). BUT that being said, there was a young lady on Anthem whom ordered three drinks in like a 15 minute window and consumed all three. She ordered one at a time and paid for each. After which, the bartender said something to another staff member whom went into the back. Then the bartender said to me "WOW, not good"  

I had one bartender on my last cruise tell me there was a 15 minute wait time between finishing a drink and ordering another.  I ordered a drink- didn't care for it and tried to order another.  When I questioned why I had never been told this before he just looked blankly at me.    So I said, ok, just let me know when the time is up- you can take the first one away and just let me know when I can order the second.

He decided just to make the second drink with no wait time then.  

Honestly, it was weird.  It was in the morning- so I had not had too many to drink- it was probably my first drink of the day.  We were with a group of people- and I had decided to have the same drink as everyone else vs what I originally ordered.  

I didn't go back to that bar the remainder of the cruise because the service was just off there.  But I wasn't mad or anything- just thought it was weird to be told it was a rule that wasn't true at all.

I've ordered drinks, shots, etc without any questions at all other bars.  It was obvious we weren't sharing- our entire group had the drink package.  

A couple at a table next to us in dining room had a drink package.  Daughter got a drink and wanted another drink for her mother.  Waiter told her he had to wait several minutes before he could get her mother's drink.  

So there is a wait sometimes.  

1 hour ago, cheermomof2girls said:

I had one bartender on my last cruise tell me there was a 15 minute wait time between finishing a drink and ordering another.  I ordered a drink- didn't care for it and tried to order another.  When I questioned why I had never been told this before he just looked blankly at me.    So I said, ok, just let me know when the time is up- you can take the first one away and just let me know when I can order the second.

He decided just to make the second drink with no wait time then.  

Honestly, it was weird.  It was in the morning- so I had not had too many to drink- it was probably my first drink of the day.  We were with a group of people- and I had decided to have the same drink as everyone else vs what I originally ordered.  

I didn't go back to that bar the remainder of the cruise because the service was just off there.  But I wasn't mad or anything- just thought it was weird to be told it was a rule that wasn't true at all.

I've ordered drinks, shots, etc without any questions at all other bars.  It was obvious we weren't sharing- our entire group had the drink package.  

There shouldn't have been a wait in your case.  I wonder if it's being monitored and if the bartender would be questioned later.

wait between finishing a drink and ordering one? Maybe starting one and ordering next...in March, our bartenders would just confirm that we wanted another round as we were almost done with our drinks. However, this was after a couple of evenings and they knew we were not going to be a problem.

Edited by ngrund

Trying to remember wasn't there a Spring Break Rule about one at a time, this years ago talked about on here. Then I was talking with some Senior Staff and they were telling me they were instructed from above to crack down on sharing packages with a passenger not having drink Package. Been a while since I seen a package canceled though he told me still happens one in a while

Guess it all all depends on the bar, bartender and other factors.  I've ordered 2 drinks at once if I'm sitting at a bar and the bartender recognizes me.  If you are ordering and walking away and coming back "drinkless" within a few minutes and you are doing this constantly than maybe.  But never experienced a time limit in between drinks on any cruise, and that goes for Carnival (because they do have a 5 minutes time limit in between drinks if they want to enforce it).

On 9/18/2023 at 5:24 PM, orville99 said:

No time limit on Alcoholic beverages, but I do believe there is a timer lock out on the soft drink cups in the soda machines.

This was the case a long time ago and it was very annoying. As of my last couple cruises, this timer was gone and I could refill immediately (which is very handy when you're really thirsty). 

31 minutes ago, DerekB said:

This was the case a long time ago and it was very annoying. As of my last couple cruises, this timer was gone and I could refill immediately (which is very handy when you're really thirsty). 

Good to know, thanks.

We've asked more than one bartender specifically about this and only once received a shoulder shrug.  The other times our bartenders have confirmed there is no 'rule'.  However at least twice bartenders that we've gotten to know well have said that each bartender has latitude to run their bar.  So I personally believe there is nothing official, but they can pull out that reason if they want to.  Unlike Carnival where I can say firsthand not only is it official, but their POS will not allow any input inside the waiting period for the PAX.