Is Celebrity the new Carnival?

young_k92

8 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We’re leaving our teenage kids at home for that one.

Yikes!  No way I could have left my teens alone. No telling what we would have come back to. Both are grown now with young kids of their own. Can’t wait for what goes around to start coming around to them! 😂🤣

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

15 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yikes!  No way I could have left my teens alone. No telling what we would have come back to.

They won’t be “alone, alone”. They’ll be staying with family members. Hope they don’t prove me wrong, but so far they’ve behaved somewhat responsibly (at least for that age level!) 😂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I have never seen a cat fight on a Celebrity cruise, nor have I seen people vomiting in the elevator. Carnival seems to focus more on crew and passenger provided entertainment like game shows, talent contests, and even red team vs blue and white teams. It’s an experience like no other.  Some people eat that stuff up. There is a certain cheese factor to Carnival, but I have to say that their core base loves the product.  If Celebrity ever gets like that, I’d move on.  So far, I haven’t seen that, but my next Celebrity cruise (in May) will be our first since the summer of 2018.  

To be honest, I've been on over 50 cruises and have never seen a catfight, nor someone vomiting in the elevator on ANY of the cruises I've been on, Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Princess OR Carnival. I also worked on NCL for a year back in the early 90's and even then never saw such a thing. I don't doubt that it happens, I know that it does, but I don't believe in pigeonholing an entire line based on random occurrences. Yes, Carnival does have a lot of party cruisers, but it also tends to skew towards the shorter cruises. We were on the Mardi Gras three times now and it's a beautiful ship, we had wonderful entertainment, some of the best service we've experienced anywhere and also some of the best food. I don't believe that one line or ship is going to be perfect for anyone ALL of the time, that's why I hop around. I personally like changing things up. The biggest disappointment I've had in the last 10 years on a cruise WAS on Carnival, we took a last minute cruise on an older ship with friends and I will never sail an old ship of theirs again, it just hadn't been kept up and yes, on that ship there was not much entertainment (unlike the Mardi Gras). That being said, I am nervous about sailing the Equinox as she is also older and we sailed her many years ago. We'll see how Celebrity does on maintaining their older vessels. Regardless, I go in with an open mind, happy that I have the opportunity to be on a cruise and will make the best of it, no matter what.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2023 at 4:50 PM, Gia2cats said:

Just another opinion here. We booked Aqua Class on Celebrity once and my husband was not a fan. To me, it was not worth the steep increase in price. Also did not use the Spa. But most people rave about Aqua. We do verandah cabins and Concierge on the M class ships since they are slightly bigger cabins. We are not foodies. 

I am also in the minority! I did not enjoy Blu at all! I wasn’t a fan of the menu there. Also, we were seated at a table for 2 that was literally 2 inches from other tables, so felt cramped. I prefer MDR. I did enjoy the Persian Garden very much on S class, not on M class, but I don’t think Blu or Persian Garden are worth a significantly higher price, for me. That being said, food is VERY subjective, and I realize that others love Blu.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cheer25mom said:

I have been on the Mardi Gras, which is pretty much the same ship at the Jubilee. If you are used to Celebrity, it isn’t going to knock your socks off. It’s new and shiny, but the service is definitely not the same level. No one is going to come to you for anything, you will be going to the bar yourself every time you want a drink, and restaurant staff was constantly frazzled and rushed. The food definitely isn’t going to impress either. It’s basic food, nothing special with the exception of the up charge places. We really liked Emerils and Rudy’s but everything else is standard cruise fare, nothing wrong with it, but nothing stand out either. Nothing we couldn’t get at an average restaurant at home. 

as for options, the bar options are very similar. Shows were pretty much unwatchable for us. Nowhere near actual theater quality, basically a bad variety show. The only place I think they have an edge is music. There is more live music on board, and it’s more of what we enjoy. 

I hear all you've said but I cannot say I've experienced anything different on my last 3 Celebrity cruises.  With the drink packages all lines have seemingly cut back on bar waiters because it cuts back on drinking which saves the cruise line money.  I have not had any food product of such quality on Celebrity to make it memorable.  While I enjoy the shows I'm not expecting Broadway, give me some cuties on the stage and I'm fine or better yet an off-pitch vocalist to give me something to cringe to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:35 PM, young_k92 said:

First, this topic is not intended to start a verbal war. I'm honestly asking, because I do not have unlimited funds to spend on trying new cruise lines in an attempt to find one that doesn't make me, to be honest, hate cruising. And we're trying to decide if we should try Celebrity or move on to HAL.

Background: My husband and I are almost-50 Gen Xers who cruise exclusively as a couple and have only cruised Carnival. We usually average about one cruise every 5 years. We started in 2005. We started on a 5-day on the smallest ship in the fleet, and have done 8-day as well as a 14-day Journeys cruise. Each time, we've cruised a bit larger class of ship, but we will never book a cruise on a mega ship. Just not for us. Our next cruise is in October on MSC (not YC).

Our last cruise on Carnival was on the Magic in the Caribbean last January. For various reasons, it became apparent to us that, post-Covid, Carnival would not be receiving any more of our hard-earned dollars. It was so bad, that we were booked on a B2B and chose to get off the ship after our first leg, even with it costing us some of those dollars. We are stuck on a previously-booked 14-day Journeys cruise to Alaska next year, praying that the length, itinerary, and sailing month makes the other passengers at least semi well behaved. We're not snobs. Before Covid, we considered Carnival people to be "our people," but post-Covid, it seems to be a different cruise line.

So, I've been reading a lot of the posts here on the Celebrity forum. It almost sounds like RCI is turning a once premium line into what Carnival was like pre-Covid. Anyone that can elaborate on this possibility? Honestly, I wouldn't mind trying a line that was like Carnival 18 years ago. We rather enjoyed our pre-Covid cruises. But I want to be prepared not to expect "premium" when it isn't anymore.

And, if someone with experience could elaborate on the difference between Celebrity and HAL post-Covid, I would appreciate it. The plan was to try MSC first, then Celebrity, then HAL. But after reading these reviews, I'm wondering if moving straight to HAL might be a better option for us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We’ve sailed on Carnival, Princess, Royal, Disney, NCL & Celebrity.   We have sailed numerous times with Celebrity & in no way does it compare to Carnival. At least that’s my opinion.  Celebrity is a step above the lines that we have sailed with.  The service, food & entertainment are wonderful.  
That being said, we have seen some significant changes in the cruise industry since Covid.  We recently found out that Royal is making changes to their menus & even Celebrity is now offering specialties on their dining menus for an up charge.  Once one line does it, the others will probably follow.  But in my opinion, you can’t go wrong with Celebrity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Cachecara said:

We have never sailed Carnival, so I can not fairly compare Celebrity or Royal with Carnival.  
Initially, we sailed RCI with teens and young adult children.  When we sailed by ourselves this was with X.  We had great cruises with each cruise.  Never a disappointment. 
For the last, 20 yrs we have sailed with X solely, 2-3 times a year.  We have chosen to sail with a verandah room, choosing deliberately NOT to sail suite, aqua or concierge class. Again, always a great cruise, with little to no disappointments.  
We have sailed X 3 times since Sept 2022, post Covid.  Lovely cruises with no complaints.  The latest on Summit in June. No stateroom, food or service issues.  Wonderful times.  
We sailed May 2019 on RCI Jewel to the Mediterranean.   It was wonderful and we plan on sailing on her again to Iceland/Scotland next June.
 I think itinerary and particular ship is extremely important when comparing cruises or cruise lines.
 We live right outside of NYC so are very accustomed to fine dining, Italian, seafood, steaks, sushi etc.  We realize we are not getting a comparable when cruising and do not expect such, but again, have never been disappointed as service has always been great to help if there was an issue( there has not really ever been).  
so many things are subjective, but I hope this helps, from our opinion.  
have fun! 

Hello Neighbor! Also in Bergen County. We loved the Summit during our May cruise.

• Like 2

Celebrity is nothing like Carnival, pre or post Covid.  Yes there have been cutbacks which is the case on most every cruise line, but the atmosphere and demographics onboard are nothing like Carnival.  Thankfully a massive security force is not needed, nor do you read about the fights and brawls on Carnival which seem to be getting more and more common. 

It’s sad because I used to love Carnival.  In fact I’m Platinum on them, but I’ve moved on.  It’s not that the product is bad, because it’s actually decent.  It’s the behavior onboard.  I don’t want to experience the excessive bad behavior while on vacation or the need for such a large security force.  

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, eroller said:

Celebrity is nothing like Carnival, pre or post Covid.  Yes there have been cutbacks which is the case on most every cruise line, but the atmosphere and demographics onboard are nothing like Carnival.  

I agree.  Thanks  for posting. 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eroller said:

Celebrity is nothing like Carnival, pre or post Covid.  Yes there have been cutbacks which is the case on most every cruise line, but the atmosphere and demographics onboard are nothing like Carnival.  Thankfully a massive security force is not needed, nor do you read about the fights and brawls on Carnival which seem to be getting more and more common. 

It’s sad because I used to love Carnival.  In fact I’m Platinum on them, but I’ve moved on.  It’s not that the product is bad, because it’s actually decent.  It’s the behavior onboard.  I don’t want to experience the excessive bad behavior while on vacation or the need for such a large security force.  

Thank you! This was helpful and went a long way to helping me decide to try Celebrity on our next vacation. Several people have been quite helpful. I appreciate it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

To be honest, I've been on over 50 cruises and have never seen a catfight, nor someone vomiting in the elevator on ANY of the cruises I've been on, Celebrity, NCL, RCCL, Princess OR Carnival. I also worked on NCL for a year back in the early 90's and even then never saw such a thing. I don't doubt that it happens, I know that it does, but I don't believe in pigeonholing an entire line based on random occurrences. Yes, Carnival does have a lot of party cruisers, but it also tends to skew towards the shorter cruises. We were on the Mardi Gras three times now and it's a beautiful ship, we had wonderful entertainment, some of the best service we've experienced anywhere and also some of the best food. I don't believe that one line or ship is going to be perfect for anyone ALL of the time, that's why I hop around. I personally like changing things up. The biggest disappointment I've had in the last 10 years on a cruise WAS on Carnival, we took a last minute cruise on an older ship with friends and I will never sail an old ship of theirs again, it just hadn't been kept up and yes, on that ship there was not much entertainment (unlike the Mardi Gras). That being said, I am nervous about sailing the Equinox as she is also older and we sailed her many years ago. We'll see how Celebrity does on maintaining their older vessels. Regardless, I go in with an open mind, happy that I have the opportunity to be on a cruise and will make the best of it, no matter what.

Another thing about "party cruises" are many of those going "full-throttle" on board with drinks consume large amounts of alcohol at home so not as much throwing-up as expected

We were on the Carnival Celebration and did Norway on the Pride; night and day difference between the ships.  The biggies are you get free access to ChiBang (they are performing a trial that you pay $8 after your first visit) and the Italian place.  Big Chicken and the street food are fantastic if you're in the mood for it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

A much better comparison is Princess and Celebrity.  Very similar experience, and Princess is now typically 20-30% cheaper for everything, bookings, packages, etc.

And like so many lines they have cheapened the product.  You are now required to buy one of their all-included packages to enjoy many of the amenities that used to be free.  This is a fairly recent change and many many Princess regulars are not pleased.  Princess might be the biggest offender yet of “pay more and get less”.  

I do agree that Princess is a better comparison to Celebrity, but I personally consider Celebrity elevated over Princess.  The Celebrity ships just have more style and elegance to them, and seem more luxurious.  Princess ships have had that same look for ages that is somewhat out of style.  Tuscan Italian renaissance meets the high seas.  Standard balcony cabins are much smaller too.  There is not even a couch.  Just a single chair.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, eroller said:

And like so many lines they have cheapened the product.  You are now required to buy one of their all-included packages to enjoy many of the amenities that used to be free.  This is a fairly recent change and many many Princess regulars are not pleased.  Princess might be the biggest offender yet of “pay more and get less”.  

We are elite on Princess and they have removed every perk we cared about for our loyalty.

They have recently increased drink packages as well.

We refuse to pay it, so we bring our own soda and water onboard.  It's the best I can do and keep cruising.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

You could rate Carnival as being a step ahead as they have real balconies.

Celebrity E class has the fako balconies.

So long as you don’t mind the smell of weed permeating from the balcony next door all cruise.  😂😜

• Haha 2

I think Celebrity is somewhat becoming the new MSC.  Both have nice ships (Celebrity's are smaller).  MSC is a bit more family-oriented, but we saw a lot more young people on a recent cruise on Infinity.

As previously mentioned, in the past (such as NYE 2022), Celebrity's food was light years ahead of MSC's in the MDR.  Now?  Similar, perhaps w/an edge to MSC.

Celebrity is cheapening their product, which obviously isn't something that most of us want to see.  It's certainly no longer a cruise line for foodies.  I'd still put Celebrity ahead of RCCL and well ahead of CCL.  I think Celebrity should be ashamed of mentioning their "Michelin-starred chef" in their advertising.  Some of their MDR food is roughly cafeteria-quality, in my view.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2