Okay ya'll... it's been 100 years since my last cruise... tell me everything I need to know that's new!

Let'sGo!

So maybe not 100, but it looks like my last cruise was in 2016.  Yikes!

Hubs told me to book something fun for my 60th birthday and I was thinking I might want to take a cruise again.
Tell me all of the things that have changed.

I'm seeing stuff now about "the key" and "royal up" and all kinds of words.   In fact, I think when I last cruised, My Time Dining was still kind of a new thing, LOL!

The dates we are looking at are the two weeks after Christmas. My birthday is on January 3 and my husband is a college prof. so that is the best time for us. 

Obviously I'm kind of late to the party for booking so I'm trying to figure out the Royal Up thing... is it beneficial to book something I'd be happy with and then try to bid up to a suite?  What is the window for that kind of thing?

Back in the day when we cruised every year, we would usually use an online booking cruise agent.  Is that still the best/most cost efficient way to go?
Are there still Diamond lounges/happy hours?

We have 12 cruises under our belts, but we sort of feel like complete nubies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Let'sGo! said:

Obviously I'm kind of late to the party for booking so I'm trying to figure out the Royal Up thing... is it beneficial to book something I'd be happy with and then try to bid up to a suite?  What is the window for that kind of thing?

Book at least what you will be happy with and try and bid up.  Don't expect to win your bid especially on a busy holiday sailing.

I'm 0/8 on bidding for Royal up.

Yes there are Diamond lounge/happy hours just no free drinks.

As diamond you get 4 drinks per day anywhere you want already on your sepsis card in lieu of happy drinks.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGo! said:

Tell me all of the things that have changed.

I'm seeing stuff now about "the key" and "royal up" and all kinds of words.   In fact, I think when I last cruised, My Time Dining was still kind of a new thing, LOL!

I just did a video on many of these thing—The Key, Royal Up, Unlimited Dining Plan, Entertainment reservations (see below). Also, starting later this week, look for my LIVE! thread on my Wonder cruise. I’m new to Royal, but a veteran cruiser, so I’ll be seeing everything with fresh eyes!

• Like 2

We did a move up on celebrity on my wife’s 60th two years ago and got a penthouse. Not sure of the class of ships you are looking at some are almost the same Oasis and newer needs you to reserve everything, either way you will need rccl app on your phone. Rccl doesn’t seem to have a dress code anymore you will see lots of shorts . I think the 4 free drinks for drinks is great you can have them at any bar . 

10 hours ago, loungelady55 said:

It's creepy that you track people this way.  

On the desktop, the browser lists the CC join date - pretty easy to guestimate that someone who joined in 2002 but has their first post now (lurking for 21+ years!) has one of the longest lurk records.

Biker, who notices some things others may miss.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, BND said:

LOL.  It's hardly tracking.  If you look under your avatar, it shows what date you joined.

Plus it shows how many posts a person has. This is the OP's 1st post... so definitely has to set a record for longest Lurk, LOL 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

On the desktop, the browser lists the CC join date - pretty easy to guestimate that someone who joined in 2002 but has their first post now (lurking for 21+ years!) has one of the longest lurk records.

Biker, who notices some things others may miss.

So glad you answered.  I thought about it but then I didn't want to become the creepy guy. 😀😀

13 hours ago, BND said:

LOL.  It's hardly tracking.  If you look under your avatar, it shows what date you joined.

1 hour ago, dmrrn73 said:

Plus it shows how many posts a person has. This is the OP's 1st post... so definitely has to set a record for longest Lurk, LOL 

Depends on how you access CC. From my Windows laptop using Firefox, yes you see all that info. 

But from my Android phone using Google Chrome,  the post count & join date are not there. Not sure why.  See screen shot.

Screenshot_20230927-210736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.062937c6196cb02d4c1db6049264986d.jpg

11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

So glad you answered.  I thought about it but then I didn't want to become the creepy guy. 😀😀

Depends on how you access CC. From my Windows laptop using Firefox, yes you see all that info. 

But from my Android phone using Google Chrome,  the post count & join date are not there. Not sure why.  See screen shot.

Screenshot_20230927-210736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.062937c6196cb02d4c1db6049264986d.jpg

For Chrome on my Google pixel phone, if I open up CC and then click  on a persons "name", it shows join date and post count there.  The info is readily available.  Not like you have to dig down.  It's public info and easily found.  Either way, that person acting like it was stalking when in reality it's right there is weird to me.

The Key is a VIP type program that gives you a handful of benefits:  Priority boarding, fancier lunch on embarkation day, priority seating at shows, and internet service.  I don't really remember it all because I'd never pay the $20-30 per person per day.  If you're going to buy internet service anyway, you might be willing to pay.  Google exactly what benefits you get.  

Two weeks after Christmas should be a quiet time on the ship.  Good choice.  

Royal Up means no more complimentary upgrades.  30 days out, you'll be able to "bid" for a nicer room.  Yes, you're on the right track:  Book the room with which you'd be happy, then bid for a more expensive room -- if that's your thing.  It's a guessing game though:  the more expensive rooms may /may not be available, and you may /may not win the bid.  You have to be careful though:  some people have actually managed to downgrade from their carefully-chosen room to a technically nicer room in a worse location. 

I've heard it said and said and said that you can get better prices through a travel agent, but I have not found it to be true.  I think it's because we only cruise in the fall, which comes with low prices, and because we cruise in less expensive rooms anyway.  

Diamonds now have 4 free drinks (per day) loaded on their sea passes, and they can be used any time of the day.  I don't think I'm alone in seeing this as an upgrade.  

Things you didn't ask about this -- probably don't know yet: 

You must now sign up for a boarding time 45 days ahead of your cruise.  Those "in the know" often like to stay up until midnight and claim the earliest boarding time as soon as possible, while others prefer to arrive after 1:00 so their rooms will be ready upon arrival.  While this is a bit of a pain, it has reduced the lines at boarding, as it staggers the passengers' arrival.  

Cabin service has been reduced to once a day -- this board is relatively split on whether this is a negative or a so-what? item.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmrrn73 said:

Wish we could at least access all the old posts on this Version of Cruise Critic. Joined in 1997, after switchover in 2000 we all had to rejoin CC. It use to show in order when you did and member number. I didn't sign back up for 5+ months but even then I think then my new number was like #308. About 5-6 yrs ago they removed that page from here

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Cabin service has been reduced to once a day -- this board is relatively split on whether this is a negative or a so-what? item. 

I believe cabin service is still twice a day for junior suite and up (I will be swiftly corrected if I am wrong 🤪). @Mum2Mercury I only mentioned this because the OP mentioned trying to upgrade to a suite, or may be inferred they are considering booking one.

In that same vein, I know of no real benefit of The Key for full suites. I have actually used it a few times in Junior suites when the cost was only a few $ more than the internet (first time was Harmony March of 2019. lunch was actually in Chops then). 

I also typically use an online TA. Although the actual cruise cost may be the same, I will book through whatever online TA is offering the most appealing extra perks, whether OBC, grats paid, specialty dining, or a combination of all.

Also you do not get double points if you Royal Up to a suite from a non-suite - if that matters.

Price drops can be your friend though - no you can't get anything back after final payment but you may be able to upgrade for lower than a Royal Up.

Our cruise next month I stalked the prices - finally a suite guarantee opened for less than my comfort price (I had an internal "if it goes lower than X, jump") so I did that and was assigned an expected JS - I then bid and won for a GS on a "weak" bid.  Thrilled we won as it's a birthday/anniversary cruise but was happy either way.

Prices for everything will change daily - beverage package, Voom, private island options, Key, etc.  Buy when you're happy with the price and check for better prices where you can cancel and rebook.

Our favorite positive change is no longer having to attend a muster drill along with the masses in the scorching heat - just watch the video on your phone or stateroom TV and then check-in at your muster station. Easy peezy! 🦺😁  As others have mentioned, you'll notice a number of cutbacks, just like the other cruise lines, but cruising will never be the same as it was pre-pandemic.  But you'll still have fun!!

• Like 1

So, the key things I've noticed, post 2020 are: 1) They have new MDR menus.  We were completely fine with what was on our 4 night portion of our b2b on Navigator.  We did UDP for the 7 night part.  2) Windjammer food has been meh.  Going forward, we will try to avoid.  3) There seems to be less excursions offered.  There are still plenty to choose from!  But, sadly on my next cruise with my mom, they cancelled parasailing (which she was looking forward to).