Chops or Giovanni's?

I am not a fan of italian but I'd choose Giovanni because chops didnt get my meal very right. Undercooked steak, truffle fries no truffle and the pork belly app had no meat.

At least Giovanni cooked my steak right.

Actually I choose 150 the following week with izumi

Aloha. They are all fine in their own way. I am Italian but understanding that shipboard italian restaurants cannot generally compare to land based restaurants especially in NYC although there is a very good italian in Hawaii. HAL, Princess also have very good italian shipboard cuisine. As for Chops, similar across various lines and the same comparisons land based. That said I do not believe you will be disappointed. We generally dine in both. Good luck, enjoy and please keep us posted!

Both are good in their own way. Favorite is Giovanni’s.  They also have a filet in their menu. Make sure you start off with the meat and cheese platter. Last time we asked for extra parmigiano cheese and they came through with nice chunks. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Favorite is Giovanni’s.  They also have a filet in their menu. Make sure you start off with the meat and cheese platter.

That's why we like Giovanni's, you can get a very good steak but also Italian dishes to go with it. Love the meat & cheese app.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I like both but the Giovanni’s Filet is better than the Chops filet. Plus I like being able to have pasta with my steak. The Carbonara is very good.

That's my go to entree order... filet and carbonara. I'm not even a huge fan of filet, I like some fat in my steak like a ribeye, but it has always been good there.

• Like 2

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

That's my go to entree order... filet and carbonara. I'm not even a huge fan of filet, I like some fat in my steak like a ribeye, but it has always been good there.

Plus the Chocolate Hazelnut Cake for dessert is awesome. I normally don’t like a sauce  on my filet but whatever Giovanni’s does is really good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Plus the Chocolate Hazelnut Cake for dessert is awesome. I normally don’t like a sauce  on my filet but whatever Giovanni’s does is really good.

You lost me at the sauce, lol. TBH, I may not have ever tried it because, like you said, I don't like sauce on a good steak so I always get mine without it. Maybe I'll ask for it on the side. We'll be eating there on Allure in 3 weeks.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

You lost me at the sauce, lol. TBH, I may not have ever tried it because, like you said, I don't like sauce on a good steak so I always get mine without it. Maybe I'll ask for it on the side. We'll be eating there on Allure in 3 weeks.

I’m in the no sauce camp too. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was with the sauce. I think you will like it so don’t try to get it on the side. 

Just now, Husky1987 said:

This is the correct answer 🙂 

Agreed the sides at Chops have been very disappointing lately. I will say that the fried goat cheese salad has been one of my favorite salads.

• Like 2

I never understand the reasoning that the filet is better at one of the other. They don’t order from different suppliers. They are using filets from the same boxes. Unless Giovanni’s is adding different seasonings the filets are the same. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Agreed the sides at Chops have been very disappointing lately. I will say that the fried goat cheese salad has been one of my favorite salads.

Wife LOVES that salad.  We were not impressed with Chops on Quantum in August, although the mushroom soup has never disappointed to date.  I've always been a big fan of the risotto in Giovanni's.

• Like 3

Just now, Husky1987 said:

Wife LOVES that salad.  We were not impressed with Chops on Quantum in August, although the mushroom soup has never disappointed to date.  I've always been a big fan of the risotto in Giovanni's.

We are getting the 3 night dining package for our Adventure sailing. Since DW does not like Sushi we are booking Chops 1 night and Giovanni’s for two nights. Then on a sea day I’m doing the Sushi and Sake lunch at Izumi since I love sushi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Chops was our favorite but we have been disappointed with their sides recently

Amen. We even wrote that on our last survey.

Also I used to love the "colossal" shrimp at Chops in the shrimp cocktail. They are no longer very big or as good based on our most recent experience. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigque said:

I never understand the reasoning that the filet is better at one of the other. They don’t order from different suppliers. They are using filets from the same boxes. Unless Giovanni’s is adding different seasonings the filets are the same. 

This was my fillet from chops ordered MW, I dont want barely any pink. No red. This was served red. 

2 weeks ago in chops. Didnt have time to send it back and make it to the show mama mia. 

I told the guy 3 out of 4 things wrong, I'd rate chops food a 2 out of 10. My shrimp appetizer was perfect. Nothing else was right. .. this is not MW.

20230918_180634.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We are getting the 3 night dining package for our Adventure sailing. Since DW does not like Sushi we are booking Chops 1 night and Giovanni’s for two nights. Then on a sea day I’m doing the Sushi and Sake lunch at Izumi since I love sushi.

We need to cruise together. My wife won't go near sushi either. She'd eat chicken teryaki at Izumi but I'm too frugal to go there just b/c I like sushi.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1