Catholic Mass on HAL Ships Still?

2disneydads

2 minutes ago, 2disneydads said:

Hello, Everyone:

I have not sailed on HAL for a while, so I am not aware if HAL still offers Catholic Mass each day on its ships.  Is Mass still offered?  My mother would like to sail on a ship that offers daily Mass.

Thank you!

Yes, Holland America offers daily mass with a priest on board.  Mass is at 8 am on sea days and 5 pm on port days, but schedule is subject to  change.  This was the schedule last month on the Eurodam, Alaska.

2 hours ago, 2disneydads said:

Hello, Everyone:

I have not sailed on HAL for a while, so I am not aware if HAL still offers Catholic Mass each day on its ships.  Is Mass still offered?  My mother would like to sail on a ship that offers daily Mass.

Thank you!

I've seen daily Mass posted on all of our cruises. I was told that the ships usually do have priests aboard due to the many Catholics on the crews.

Check the current 'live from' threads, where those currently on a HAL ship are posting their Daily Programs. Every one of them has Mass showing as an activity. 
It is something I do look for, and notice, on the Daily when it is posted. 

So long as the priest actually makes it to embarkation, then Mass is scheduled daily. 

One tip-- At the first Mass of our last cruise one of the parishioners asked if we could change the Mass to start at 4:30pm so we could make dinner on time. The priest asked if that was OK with the rest of us and he spoke to the HAL staff and, the next day, Mass was at 4:30pm.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Two weeks ago on the Volendam we had daily Mass for 2 weeks.

Thank you!  How was the Volendam?  I would like to do the Canada cruise between Boston and Montreal.  I see a lot of negative reviews and comments on the ship.  How is its condition?  Thank you again. 

On 10/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, 2disneydads said:

Thank you!  How was the Volendam?  I would like to do the Canada cruise between Boston and Montreal.  I see a lot of negative reviews and comments on the ship.  How is its condition?  Thank you again. 

Just off her two weeks ago - was on for 12 days.  Thought the ship was in very good condition, seemed to have recently been upgraded.  Only negative was the limited (and not very good) entertainment.  Easy to get around, due to three elevator banks and smaller ship size.  Great crew!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Just off her two weeks ago - was on for 12 days.  Thought the ship was in very good condition, seemed to have recently been upgraded.  Only negative was the limited (and not very good) entertainment.  Easy to get around, due to three elevator banks and smaller ship size.  Great crew!

Thank you.  That is good to hear. 

• 5 weeks later...

I had never heard of the "Apostleship of the Sea of the United States" so I looked up their website.

https://www.aos-usa.org/

Interesting information. Over 100 years in operation.  If you look deep enough into the site one will even find a .pdf of the "Cruise Ship Priest Manual".

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2