OMG The prices

SSPhone

20 minutes ago, exm said:

Try MSC for a change.

FYI - Thanks for your suggestion. However, I cruised MSC 2 times this year. So, yes, I do cruise other lines and compare. This year we cruised RCI, MSC, Celebrity and Princess. Have booked for 2024 RCI, Celebrity, NCL and Princess.

• Like 2

Yep, welcome to the party! The March '24 Icon cruise that we booked way back in October of 2022 (the day the cruise became available for sale) is now more than 3 times the cost. Yep, you read that right! More than 3 times the cost now! Crazy!!!

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

??? Translation please. 

I think it means the younger passengers are paying these high prices and old people like us aren't paying those prices anymore.

So in the end it means  either pay the prices or get out of the boat and stay home !

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

I think it means the younger passengers are paying these high prices and old people like us aren't paying those prices anymore.

So in the end it means  either pay the prices or get out of the boat and stay ashore.

Is that why gas is not $1/gallon like it was in 27 years ago? 

In 1940 I could have bought a house  for $2k. Anyone who paid more than $2k ruined it for everyone. 

15 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

School lunches have gone up 300% since last year. Heck I remember when lunches were 25 cents - now they are $3.50. Is it because these kids are paying the new price? Damn these kids on the internet!

Come on you know inflation is bad but not 300%. Anyone can find a few items outside the norm. Cruise prices being one of the outliers. Up more than inflation. 

I'll sign on the dotted line, cruise prices are going up too fast. 

Those complaining about prices should of booked right after the restart. Ships half full and pricing was cheaper than staying at home. More crew than passengers. $173 for a balcony pp on a 4 nighter on Serenade from Tampa at the last minute sticks in my mind. Many waited too long and missed the deals back then. Usually don't book cruises that short, but it was hard to pass on with double points also.

Drink package was $40 per day and similar to the $39 price Celebrity is offering from Tampa next month. Just need to be flexible.

Edited by coaster

I'm starting to think getting cruises when they first list is the way to go rather then last minute.  I don't really see price drops for last minutes unless an inside.  Just booked the RS on the Rhapsody out of San Juan in October 2025 for an expected price but nothing like what I saw with the same cabin on the Vision (double the amount @3 weeks out from sailing).  Bit of a splurge but reasonable.

• Like 1

Found a wild one. Panama Canal in 2025, already back up to 2019 prices $4839 in Balcony for me SOLO. Was spoiled last 3yrs under CV pricing paying less then $3K inc last months Panama Canal Cruise. Kicker is if you want refundable Deposit? No problem, another $2884.50 more!

Edited by ONECRUISER

6 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

How does that help you booking now for the future?

I got a lot of cruising done back then and don't feel the need to book as often at current pricing. Actually got burned out from cruising so much in 2021 and 2022.

Edited by coaster
  • Haha 2

Right now is the tail end of the covid demand in the US. Prices have already started dropping for next year on many sailings. There have been some big price drops for last minute December cruises if you don't mind inside and ocean view.

Wait for Black Friday sales later this week from the online travel agencies also.

All forms of travel are seeing price declines and a drop in future demand. Easily verified by credit card activity and those in the travel business.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

probably still less than land based hotels and restaurants if you calculate the daily charges. 

I don't know about that.  We have done 3500 mile road trips the last 3 years and none of them cost over $1800.  The  last one was a 14 day trip to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Bryce Canyon, and Mesa Verde.  We tent camped several times and stayed in cheaper hotels.  Most were decent.  My last cruise, last May, was a 6 night Western that ran $1000@ including 5 hotels to and from port, gas, and parking. 

I'm not cheap.  I'm Frugal.😁

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, coaster said:

I got a lot of cruising done back then and don't feel the need to book as often at current pricing. Actually got burned out from cruising so much in 2021 and 2022.

I didn't really mean YOU personally... I meant how do your comments help anyone else now? It was pretty rhetorical... they don't.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

All forms of travel are seeing price declines and a drop in future demand. Easily verified by credit card activity and those in the travel business.

I'm not sure it's as black and white as you claim. I watch earnings and expedia said no sign of a slow down. Pushed rcl higher with it. .. just to name one who disagrees about demand slowing. 

I do agree it's for sure upsetting to see higher and higher prices, when I think they reached a wall in raising prices. I'm going to be watching for last minute cruises I guess. 

• Like 1

Cruises seem to be sailing more full than not, with premium fares.  Which tells ME that there are a lot of people out there with disposable income.  Far more than we had back in 2009 as we were recovering from the 2008 drop.

Seeing really full campgrounds and noting that RV sales are still high (but declining) really tells me the same thing.  As well as all of the new reservation requirements just to get into some national parks.

Complain all you want about inflation- a lot of people in this economy have a lot of money to spend.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Galveston has some great prices I have seen grand suites for 2300 per person on harmony will probably book that next week when we sail harmony if not will book MSc yacht club .

I was really tempted to book another one oat of Galveston for my winter 2025 but settled on Oasis on for the Southern Caribbean route out of FLL.

I'm waiting and hoping Ovation comes to LA.  If so that'll be my Fall 2025 booking.  Failing that I'll relook at a suite on Harmony out of Galveston.  We loved our CLS on Oasis this last March.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SSPhone said:

Dec 16 is a couple of weeks. I gave up looking until I got a email this morning to complete the booking. Last Friday it was sold out. 

Was just looking for a get away, Tampa is home port just over a hour away from home. We have been working our a$$es off since Hurricane Idaila put 27 inches of water in the house.We are back in but now but would like a little RNR. Guess we wait until Feb for new cruise.

honestly it hadn’t even hit me that Dec 16 was right around the corner, so maybe give a day or two…     I think I ran my JS on a Galveston cruise up a lot with my indecision searching in September.    I was going between the cruise and Turks.    I stopped searching and price came back down.   Locked it in 2 weeks before.   Same thing happened with a Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise last year.    The Royal Suite ended up being less than Sky Suites.   

If the cruise did go up, I bet it’s their surge/demand pricing kicking in.   Let it settle out, but know, it is a gamble.    

Just my one off experiences.    And my half full travel attitude.