Pleasantly surprised by changes to the "premium" desserts

Shippy

We first got the plus package when they introduced those bizarre sundaes that you could get 2 a day of....NO substitutions.

Just of the Regal & was at the International Cafe when someone said that those giant cake slice were now covered.

Then I went over to the gelato station. I heard you could now get a scope of whatever you wanted & it would now be covered in the package.

As I waited in line, I noticed they had a menu. When by turn came up I asked if the banana splits were covered & she said yes & you could customize it.

I had a scope off pistachio, vanilla & strawberry with chocolate sauce, lots off whipped cream & cherries &.of course a banana AND in a heavy glass dish. I had expected plastic.

The next day I read the menu again & discovered a Frangelico sundae. That is a tasty liqueur. SO... Frangelico, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream & a cherry. And served in a very large, heavy glass beer mug.

My new go to sundae.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 10

I was pleasantly surprised on my Discovery sailing at the end of October. Went to the Gelato bar and was told with my Premier pkg, it includes as many scoops of any Gelato!

On this Royal class ship is where they prepared those Premium Sundaes and have the 3 Premium Cakes. Will be on Enchanted next year with Premier so will definitely look to see if they have the Banana splits and if they will be covered with the package.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Like 2

In the Island the specialty cakes in the buffet where they service regular desserts.

For the Plus ice cream dessert, I ask for the wrapped suckers and 1 scoop of ice cream with chocolate sauce in a glass.

Milkshakes ($7 if paying) are included in the Plus package.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Gelato and milkshakes…. Now we are talking! 😊

Don't get too excited about the milkshakes.  Ice cream, milk, and chocolate syrup blended.  Very thin.  They did use "real" ice cream.  Still not the same as your diner experience milkshake in the tall metal container.

I recently discovered ice cream (or maybe gelato) being served near the scones in the buffet.  Interesting...in a bowl that was in an ice cube bath and hand scooped.  Looked freshly made.  

• Like 1

I was just on the Caribbean Princess and decided to try one. They are not the monstrosities that they originally were with a huge slice of cake stuck in the glass. I had a little 2 bite cheesecake and a mini Snickers bar with ice cream whipped cream and chocolate sauce. The big huge sucker  she handed to me separately. I would definitely order it again as it wasn't too much food. Although I wouldn't pay $12 outright for it. I had the plus package so it was "free".

Edited by Bollycats
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Yes, I prefer to say "included".

It's amazing that Princess has convinced people to think that things are now free and not included. i.e.- Save on the Things You're Gonna Do Anyway. 😆

• Like 3

On Enchanted earlier this month they had the cakes hidden in the case below the counter and the display case up top with the labels sat empty for 11 days. I very nicely asked if they were included and got a very terse “NO - only from the list” from the rather rude employee working the gelato counter. As she was there every time I walked by I never asked again. Seeing as how she was ‘hiding’ the cakes I didn’t get too bothered as my guess is they were less than fresh. 

16 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

On Enchanted earlier this month they had the cakes hidden in the case below the counter and the display case up top with the labels sat empty for 11 days. I very nicely asked if they were included and got a very terse “NO - only from the list” from the rather rude employee working the gelato counter. As she was there every time I walked by I never asked again. Seeing as how she was ‘hiding’ the cakes I didn’t get too bothered as my guess is they were less than fresh. 

They had them on the Ruby at the IC. I think they were for display only. 

Funny when we were on Enchanted in October everything seemed a drama to the person assigned to the Gelato shop…she had too much work, she was seasick and putting cake away as it was close to closing, suspect same person! I am going to guess it was her first and last contract.  We did enjoy a couple slices of cake and a couple sundaes…enjoyable would I pay extra, maybe but with the package nice to have something different.

37 minutes ago, tobyt said:

Funny when we were on Enchanted in October everything seemed a drama to the person assigned to the Gelato shop…she had too much work, she was seasick and putting cake away as it was close to closing, suspect same person! I am going to guess it was her first and last contract.  We did enjoy a couple slices of cake and a couple sundaes…enjoyable would I pay extra, maybe but with the package nice to have something different.

A little note to her supervisor could have solved the problem.

When I asked on the Discovery 3 weeks ago if I could just get gelato if I had the package, I was told I could only have either vanilla or chocolate, none of the other flavors.  I figured it was because the sundaes are only made with either vanilla or chocolate, so they had more quantities of these.  Sounds like there are no set guidelines for the employees, it just depends on who's working as to what you will be told.

Edited by fabby50
typo

1 hour ago, fabby50 said:

When I asked on the Discovery 3 weeks ago if I could just get gelato if I had the package, I was told I could only have either vanilla or chocolate, none of the other flavors.  I figured it was because the sundaes are only made with either vanilla or chocolate, so they had more quantities of these.  Sounds like there are no set guidelines for the employees, it just depends on who's working as to what you will be told.

I was on Discovery Oct 21-28 with Premier pkg and was able to get any flavors of Gelato. Were you on after these dates? Could the policy have been changed to only Choc or Vanilla? I will ask as I am back on Discovery 11/25-29, and report back here.

7 hours ago, fabby50 said:

On Coral last week, I was ‘told’ that strawberry was for milkshakes only.

14 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

just off Enchanted and yeah, I was a little scared of her! I suspect it's her first job on a ship and she's realised it's just not for her. She did let people with plus or premier have two scoops of whatever flavour they wanted (as well as other staff that helped out at busy times), so I'm guessing this is an unannounced new policy. 

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's amazing that Princess has convinced people to think that things are now free and not included. i.e.- Save on the Things You're Gonna Do Anyway. 😆

I know, now you can get free room service, I just don't how they can be so generous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, wallyj said:

I was on Discovery Oct 21-28 with Premier pkg and was able to get any flavors of Gelato. Were you on after these dates? Could the policy have been changed to only Choc or Vanilla? I will ask as I am back on Discovery 11/25-29, and report back here.

It was after, left on the first Saturday in November.