Saturday December 16th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Hello everyone.  Sorry to hear that some are still not feeling well. I hope upcoming doctor appointments resolve the issues.  

@JazzyV  sorry the epidural didn't work for you.  I hope the neurosurgeon has some solutions for you.

@57redbird  I hope you are feeling a bit better. Post op I also had pain - it was from the nerve being manipulated and the PT and doctor, swore to me it would get better as long as I did the PT.  I used ice packs to address the pain, especially at night and that helped.  The PT was correct, it did get better over time but it took awhile for  me to be totally  pain free.  I was not expecting that reaction at all to the surgery as my DH had it a couple of years before and had no pain the day after the surgery.  The one thing I can tell you is you must walk and do the stretches that you get from the PT - even though you may not want to, in the long run it does work.  

Yesterday was not so bad for rain but very windy. I managed to get a walk in before it started drizzling on and off for the rest of the day. Today has been rain squalls with wind on and off again - with a heavier rain. For some reason where we live we don't get as much rain as other areas of Florida,  it goes south of us and north of us. It looks like Fort Lauderdale is getting hammered with the winds and rain.  I am glad I am not on a ship today as I do get sea sick.  I was sea sick  on our September trip to Alaska when we were in the Gulf of Alaska with a huge storm which caused us to divert our path.  Luckily the Dramamine worked for me but it was not a fun time.  Going outside did help a bit but it was too cold to stay on our balcony or on the outside decks.  

Not much on the agenda today. My DH is happily watching multiple football games and plans to do the same tomorrow, which should be another rainy day.  

My DD and grandkids come later this week and the weather should be better. We are looking forward to having them for the holidays. We have a full house for the remainder of the month and into January with various family coming.  It is a fun time but exhausting.   My DH and I have a cruise planned at the end of January to recover - it will be nice to be served and get a break from cooking, cleaning and laundry.

Love the quote, no on the meal, drink and wine.  We have been to Sydney on a cruise but no digital pictures.  It would be a place I would love to go back to but the flight was so long I don't think we will be going again.  I know we could cruise there but right now we can't do that long a cruise- I can only take long vacations in our summer and the cruises all go in the winter.  I still work and have no plans to retire anytime soon.  

• Like 13

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I checked LF and it looks like my bags have not left Kansas City. Yikes. I hope they get there. 

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Ours have been sitting in Tacoma since the day they were picked up here. So only went about an hour away.  Probably waiting for more to arrive or just busy with Christmas.  

The boys are having a movie/popcorn/brownies afternoon and I'm resting up for the next game of UNO.  I'm pleased with the Santa mugs they painted.  The 8-year-old gave his a brown mustache and said his is the "young Santa".  🤣  After dinner we'll be going to the Christmas lights show, and hopefully then straight to bed...

14 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Having been very late being picked up, mine are really moving. Now in Salt Lake City. They may get stuck there for a couple of days.

Susan

I haven’t used LF for the cruise all of you are lucky enough to be on but a thought crossed my mind.

They probably aren’t going to want to move the bags too fast as they may not want them at the port too far in advance of the ship arriving?  Just a guess and a hypothesis and also taking Christmas shipping into account.  Bags to arrive in January may be lower priority than Christmas parcels.  Most likely they try to co-ordinate so they all go on a big truck to Port Everglades?    I’m pretty sure they will all be there for you - at least, I sure hope so.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

They probably aren’t going to want to move the bags too fast as they may not want them at the port too far in advance of the ship arriving?  Just a guess and a hypothesis and also taking Christmas shipping into account.  Bags to arrive in January may be lower priority than Christmas parcels.  Most likely they try to co-ordinate so they all go on a big truck to Port Everglades?    I’m pretty sure they will all be there for you - at least, I sure hope so.

Unless I'm mistaken I hope the bags do not get to Port Everglades early.  Aren't they leaving from San Diego?  I don't think they're lagging on purpose; I'm pretty sure they're going to a courier's wherehouse where the bags will probably all be grouped by ship.

Roy

• Like 9

My last visit to Sydney was in 2020, arriving March 3 on Crystal Serenity and leaving March 6 on Queen Mary 2.  The weather was miserable and not many photos but I did visit 2 of the smaller venues in the Opera House.

The first was the Drama Theater where I watched a play "No Pay, No Way"

drama.JPG.30dc2c079aacf41794f760f948d55b90.JPG

j2view.JPG.9eb8b04ef813ed61b80822083fa59c4e.JPG

The other was "The Studio: where I attended the musical "Six"

six.jpg

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  This morning, I finally got the office stuff finished, and found with all that has been going on the last several weeks, the checkbook needed a lot of work getting things straight.  It turned out to be a nice day outside with sun for a couple of hours.  We got a lot of the to do list for outside finished.  Then as it got cooler, I got the laundry off the line.  Now, it just needs to be folded.  It looks like I can't put off the sorting any longer and will have to tackle it tomorrow.  Can you tell I'm not really looking forward to that chore, but it has to be done.  It really shouldn't take all that long.  🤞

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

@bennybear Today, I was not the one who made the book recommendation; it was @ottahand7 (go Ravens!). However, I have read the Mantle’s Wolf Hall trilogy.  I had a bit of difficulty keeping all the Cromwells straight.  I finally used a strategy I taught my students; I made a character list and used it as a book mark.  I know many loved the books but I found them challenging; perhaps because I didn’t have a great deal of knowledge about the history before I read them.

@JazzyVImpressed you did the bridge walk!

I have read two of the three books and enjoyed them.  I do like history and know some of English history, but not enough.  I'm looking forward to reading the third book.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Ours have been sitting in Tacoma since the day they were picked up here. So only went about an hour away.  Probably waiting for more to arrive or just busy with Christmas.  

The boys are having a movie/popcorn/brownies afternoon and I'm resting up for the next game of UNO.  I'm pleased with the Santa mugs they painted.  The 8-year-old gave his a brown mustache and said his is the "young Santa".  🤣  After dinner we'll be going to the Christmas lights show, and hopefully then straight to bed...

Carolyn, it sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun.

It's time to get the fish out to thaw (salmon for me, and cod for DH) while I fold the clothes.  Dinner will be the fish cooked in the air fryer, with a vegetable rice I froze the other day and a salad.  Dessert will be ice cream and gingerbread cookies.

Lenda

• Like 15

I hope everyone is having a good start to the weekend. My quiet Saturday morning watching the quilting shows didn't quite happen as planned. Instead, I took DH to Acute Care to have his knees x-rayed. He was cleaning his computer room yesterday afternoon and managed to get his feet tangled with the vacuum cord. Down he went on his knees. This morning he could barely walk or bend one of his knees. Can't believe we were in and out in just under 2 hours-no broken bones or cracks. The doctor was impressed with the condition of his knees-no arthritis at all. Wish mine were that good! Now it's ice and Tylenol and hope it clears up soon. And I'll trade my chocolate too for caramel.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Unless I'm mistaken I hope the bags do not get to Port Everglades early.  Aren't they leaving from San Diego?  I don't think they're lagging on purpose; I'm pretty sure they're going to a courier's wherehouse where the bags will probably all be grouped by ship.

Roy

Correct, Roy. We’re sailing out of San Diego not Port Everglades. 
I’m sure the bags will get there in plenty of time. We aren’t leaving until January 3. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Correct, Roy. We’re sailing out of San Diego not Port Everglades. 
I’m sure the bags will get there in plenty of time. We aren’t leaving until January 3. 

Oh shoot! I'm sorry! 

This year we had LF to San Diego for our Feb/Mar Hawaii Tahiti cruise and we were nervous because we never got a LF message. Luckily bags were delivered. 

• Like 9

Well, tonight was a disappointment for Gala/Dressy night in MDR. Our soup was too salty, our sole was mushy, and our Dutch apple pie crust was not baked enough. Boo!!

On a lighter note, officers sang 3 Christmas songs on the staircase. They were terrible but we laughed so hard and clapped our hands. It was so fun!

20231216_180657.thumb.jpg.1c112819f45e876a5fa5c6bb2cf945eb.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Good evening everyone!

I made it home, almost in daylight, from my visit with my Mom. For 97 she's a going concern. The border was no problem with about a minute wait in both directions (I go through the one at Aldergrove/Lynden which is often quieter) and I made good time both directions. We got her errands done, got two gifts bought at "The Gap", had lunch at White Spot (shrimp sandwich on multi-grain for me and chicken burger and Zoo sticks for Mom) and then some tea and a visit at her place. Those of you who know White Spot know how good their shrimp sandwich is. I brought home 1/2 the sandwich and some fries so that will be dinner probably tomorrow night as I'm still full. Now to relax! 

Karen

• Like 16

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Pauline's friends mam died last night with a strangulated hernia.

Pauline was with her friend yesterday and she is so lovely.

She had the same strangulated hernia operated on last week but is in lots of pain.

I’m so sorry. 🙏

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

She had the same strangulated hernia operated on last week but is in lots of pain.

I am so sorry to hear that.  I know how serious that is.  Jim had to have surgery for that while we were in Rome and missed a cruise because of it.

Condolences to Pauline’s and her friend.

Terri

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Graham, I'm very sorry to hear the terrible news about Pauline's DF and her DM.  My condolences on the passing of the DM, and for the friend who is in pain from the same operation.  Wishing the friend comfort and relief from the pain.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Oops - had the world cruise on my mind 😂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Graham, our condolences to Pauline's friend and to Pauline on the death of her friend's Mam.  I hope Pauline's friend begins to feel better soon, and that the good memories of her Mam will bring her comfort in the coming days.

Lenda

• Thanks 1