Tips for a Regent Newbie

taxman1

Good morning, afternoon and evening to fellow cruisers.  My wife and I are gearing up for the Miami to Miami cruise leaving port on Feb 5th.  We live in Sarasota so will be driving to Miami. Based on previous posts embarkation seems pretty smooth as long as you can meander around the pre-night hotel bus arrivals.  We have cruised numerous times and pretty much go with the flow on that first day.  My anxiety really lies with dinner. Seabourn has never disappointed with respect to being seated upon arriving at the dining room.  Silver Seas consistently disappointed which is why we have never gone back.  How well does Regent score with regards to wait time?  We love to have cocktails 6-7ish and then make our way to the dining room.  While I recognize this is prime time how well does Regent manage the push?  Should we be gearing up for wait times?  Any inside tips for us to consider?   Thanks for any insights you can share.     

18 minutes ago, taxman1 said:

Good morning, afternoon and evening to fellow cruisers.  My wife and I are gearing up for the Miami to Miami cruise leaving port on Feb 5th.  We live in Sarasota so will be driving to Miami. Based on previous posts embarkation seems pretty smooth as long as you can meander around the pre-night hotel bus arrivals.  We have cruised numerous times and pretty much go with the flow on that first day.  My anxiety really lies with dinner. Seabourn has never disappointed with respect to being seated upon arriving at the dining room.  Silver Seas consistently disappointed which is why we have never gone back.  How well does Regent score with regards to wait time?  We love to have cocktails 6-7ish and then make our way to the dining room.  While I recognize this is prime time how well does Regent manage the push?  Should we be gearing up for wait times?  Any inside tips for us to consider?   Thanks for any insights you can share.     

Disappointed in Silversea (not Silver Seas)? Was that related to the rush when restaurants open at 7?

I know I could look up what ship you are on but I am lazy; I am sitting on the Mariner in the middle of the Amazon river.  If you are one of the old ships you can use the rear entrance and avoid the lines. If you are on one of the new ships del rio wanted you to stand in line.  If you do stand in line that will probably be the worst experience on an otherwise fantastic trip.  Main word of advice - don’t sweat the small stuff; you will have a fantastic time. 

• Like 1

I recently cruised the Grandeur Dec 14-21 Mayan Caribbean mostly sold out cruise.  DH and I are early bird diners, and when approaching Compass Rose for its 6:30pm opening, we were either second or third in line.  You will be aware that you need reservations for the specialty restaurants.  

Looks like the ship is the new Regent baby and looks full.  However, saying this I have never waited on a long line, except for Setti Marti when it first opens. Showing up at 7,  you may be told to come back at 8.   You may also find a line at lunch for the speciality restaurants on those sea days.  

Not quite related to your questions, but we are in Dunedin and found that driving to Miami and staying overnight in the Regent hotel (the Biltmore) and then in the morning driving to the port and parking in the long-term lot just across from the dock was really seamless. Sarasota is even closer, and you will probably be able to avoid the packed-bus crowd on embarkation.
Regarding the issues that you did mention in your post, as you will see from my signature below, I have a lot of experience with Regent and some with Seabourn.  I think you will find that your anxieties about pre-dinner cocktails, seating in the main dining room, etc. will not be an issue. If anything, Regent handles these things somewhat better than Seabourn, but both do really well. Just don't try to go to the main dining room (Compass Rose) just after the end of the night of the captain's reception.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

I haven't sailed Grandeur yet (sail in less that 2 weeks) but we've done Mariner twice and Navigator once.  There is rarely a wait for table in Compass Rose, usually Sette Mari fills up quickly.  But if you plan to eat around 7-7:30 then shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Simply look at the line and if no one is in it go and eat.  If there's a long line, go grab a drink.  If you are willing to share a table then you have a better chance of immediate seating.  But we found that on the night of the Captain's Reception everyone heads to dining immediately after.  So either go a bit early or plan to have a drink or two.  When you do let them know that you're ready to eat, if they can't seat you immediately simply head to the bar and they'll come get you (at least on Navigator and Mariner).  

• Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, taxman1 said:

What ship are you sailing? Our routine on Splendor last month was to go to Observation Lounge for a drink around 7 pm and then go to Compass Rose around 7:45 to request a table. 99% of the times we were told there’ll be a short wait. So we went to Splendor Lounge , right next to CompassRose, and they came to get us when our table was ready. Sometimes the wait was 5 minutes, sometimes about 15 minutes 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

So we went to Splendor Lounge , right next to CompassRose, and they came to get us when our table was ready. Sometimes the wait was 5 minutes, sometimes about 15 minutes 

Thanks, I assume there is an Explorer lounge next to Compass Rose on Explorer. Sorry, in post Christmas semi-coma state so haven't checked deck plans.

• Like 1

Am sure some have encountered lines now and then.  During the past 4 cruises with Regent - we have not once been turned away or asked to wait.  As others have mentioned, lines can form immediately after a ship-wide function but they tend to disperse quickly.  Will grant that we tend to eat earlier than some.  Perhaps we have just been "lucky" re long lines.

• Like 1

How to say this nicely - Regent was a big disappointment as a newbie! It is a very process driven ship and when busy (nearly full) the meal can be an issue.  Breakfast at Laveranda filled very quickly in the morning - it fact people started showing up before it opened just to grab a table/seat especially at the window. Lunch could be equally crowded. The key for Laveranda and the pool grill is to see the small metal plate on the table with a number on it. Yep you are at Carl's Jr. and have a table number. It is your responsibility to know and remover remember the number. If you go up to order eggs, French toast, a burger at either location without that number you will not be served.  Key newbie tip.

Getting your specialty dining reservation set before you go is key. On a 31 day cruise we only got two reservation at each of the specialty dining areas. However it is was relatively easy to get lunch at these locations even on sea days if you go a little earlier.  Sete Maria can be difficult to get a table for diner but we had little trouble at Compass rose but we did dine early - martinis at 1730 and dinner at 1830. 

Another newbie tip is that all of the shore excursions start in the show room and it is not a fun process. Go the the auditorium, get in line, trade your ticket for a number, wait, wait, wait till your number is called. Several times we waited for over an hour.  Be prepared.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

The key for Laveranda and the pool grill is to see the small metal plate on the table with a number on it. Yep you are at Carl's Jr. and have a table number.

La Veranda and the Pool Grill are basically "serve yourself buffets."  Since they offer "made to order" options, how would you suggest they get those items to you?  The only other option would be to stand in line waiting for your order to come out like other cruise line buffets..  I'd much rather give them my table number and sit at the table and enjoy coffee or wine (at lunch) than stand in line.  Plus it has the advantage of having a table and drinks ordered before you get your food so you don't have to wander around with a plate of food looking for seats. 

If you want full service, Compass Rose is open.  

Always good to have options.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

It is a very process driven ship

Isn’t every cruise ship? 
The difference we like about Regent is their flexibility and willingness to do something special when requested.

10 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

If you go up to order eggs, French toast, a burger at either location without that number you will not be served.  

We do not find that to be an issue. If we have failed to note the number, then invariably the server will just ask where you are sitting and say “no worries, I will find you”

On Mariner at present and at the Pool Grill servers will take your order at the table - no need to go to the serving station

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Isn’t every cruise ship? 
The difference we like about Regent is their flexibility and willingness to do something special when requested.

We do not find that to be an issue. If we have failed to note the number, then invariably the server will just ask where you are sitting and say “no worries, I will find you”

On Mariner at present and at the Pool Grill servers will take your order at the table - no need to go to the serving station

Agree!  In Grandeur lunch at the Grill was seamless.  Once seated a bar server would take our drinks order; then sweet Assapara would take our food order, and another crew member would deliver.  No problem ordering and receiving the food in La Veranda...and I was always located when I forgot the table number.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Agree!  In Grandeur lunch at the Grill was seamless.  Once seated a bar server would take our drinks order; then sweet Assapara would take our food order, and another crew member would deliver.  No problem ordering and receiving the food in La Veranda...and I was always located when I forgot the table number.  

After five or six days I finally trained myself to note the table number before going up to the buffets. I'm smart that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

We did not find the crew helpful with "finding us" when we forgot our number and we were not the only passengers having that issue. May have been variable by ship.

Agree that all ships have a process but our feeling was that the process was more important than the passengers.  

Not really an issue in the long term as if you like the processes on Regent stay with Regent. We on the other hand will vote with our feet/$. I do think that as knowing and joining the process is more important on Regent and perhaps a newbie FAQ might help or even a handout so that we know our roles on the ship. It was a rough few days  figuring out our role in our own happiness.  

I do have to say the ship was beautiful so and the room and butler wonderful.  

3 minutes ago, klkaylor78 said:

We did not find the crew helpful with "finding us" when we forgot our number and we were not the only passengers having that issue. May have been variable by ship.

Agree that all ships have a process but our feeling was that the process was more important than the passengers.  

Not really an issue in the long term as if you like the processes on Regent stay with Regent. We on the other hand will vote with our feet/$. I do think that as knowing and joining the process is more important on Regent and perhaps a newbie FAQ might help or even a handout so that we know our roles on the ship. It was a rough few days  figuring out our role in our own happiness.  

I do have to say the ship was beautiful so and the room and butler wonderful.  

I suppose it's all about whether the process is going to be so dire as to cause you to give up on the entire line. For me, in the great scheme of things, the pleasures of sailing on Regent cruise far outweighs having to wait for a hamburger (or similar) at lunch. On days when we actually eat at the Pool Grill or La Veranda.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Isn’t every cruise ship? 

They are doing same on grandeur

• Like 1

After chatting with lots of folks on the ship it was clear that knowing the Regent process in advance was very helpful and may have changed our opinion a bit. There were other issues that impacted my opinion. If first time sailors have unfortunate events the first few days due to not knowing the process then as the say you only get one chance to make a first impression..... they made one that was not too good.

Just to end the discussion - dont like web arguments-gave my opinion and my plan. Agree that it was not a "dire" experience just one I did not like that much. As we have other options for luxury cruising we will pass up the great looking ship and use one that fits our lifestyle a bit better.  

I hope my tip of knowing your table number was helpful. 

• Thanks 2