Solarium closed for sail-away

My husband and I went on the transatlantic cruise on Anthem of the Seas from Southampton to Cape Liberty in October. It was an amazing 15 night journey. That being said, there is one thing that throughly angered us, and I was curious if this is happening on other ships, or if I am off base in my anger. 

We have cruised on Anthem many times as it is often based out of Cape Liberty and easy for us to get to from where we live. Every cruise for sail-away we have gone up to the solarium, gotten a cocktail and enjoyed sailing away. We were particularly excited about sail-away for this transatlantic because we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary, and my husband has studied the Titanic extensively, so leaving from Southampton had some particular meaning for us. 

We were flabbergasted when it was time for sailaway and we went up to the solarium and found it closed to everyone except diamond and above for some sort of exclusive event. I know it's picky but come on. There are so many places on the ship they could have a party, and it is literally the best place to watch sail-away and they just closed it off. It just put a really bad taste to the start of the cruise. The rest really was fantastic for us, but to not get that view pulling out, and to be at the front of the ship, while also still inside and warm, again just angered us. I'm really hoping this doesn't become a consistent thing for royal. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, gerard43 said:

it is literally the best place to watch sail-away

So it's likely to be crowded.  Especially since it's a cold weather departure, and from So'ton.

The ship probably just wanted to limit crowding in a popular venue, Just like what they did to the Diamond Club.

Something similar happened to us a few years ago on a transatlantic . The Viking Crown lounge is a favourite of ours on ships that have them for a predinner drink.  On this cruise it was closed from 4 to 8pm nightly for the overspill of the Diamond Lounge due to high numbers of D and up .

Now we are finally Diamond it looks like we may be shut out again 

So you were the couple ranting outside of the Solarium.  😉  just kidding. 

I was on that sailing and enjoyed the event.  It was one of those rare times that it felt like they actually appreciated top tier loyalty.  Unfortunately all venues / events are not always open to everyone.  

P.S. They had the same event on the spring 2022 Anthem TA.  I don't recall them having in on the spring 2023 Anthem TA, but I may have missed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

So you were the couple ranting outside of the Solarium.  😉  just kidding. 

I was on that sailing and enjoyed the event.  It was one of those rare times that it felt like they actually appreciated top tier loyalty.  Unfortunately all venues / events are not always open to everyone.  

P.S. They had the same event on the spring 2022 Anthem TA.  I don't recall them having in on the spring 2023 Anthem TA, but I may have missed it.

We were also on the TA and thought it was great and unexpected.  The champagne was overflowing and the hors d’oeuvres were a nice touch.

I say this as someone who is 3 nights away from diamond, but I really don't get this obsession with thinking royal Caribbean owes you much of anything for being loyal. It'd be nice to get a discount, and quite frankly that's all I really want is a deeper discount for more cruises that I take, they could keep all the parties and whatever else, I don't need a crystal block to collect dust or a cheap pin or welcome gifts. And it frustrates me that everyone on that ship paid for a cruise, and I personally would expect one of the most public areas on the adult pool deck to be open to everyone who paid to be on the cruise during sail-away. And I don't mean for food beforehand, I mean like the moment of pulling out of the port. 

I just don't get this culture of I've taken more cruises than you so I deserve more. Congratulations, you have money and can take more vacations, doesn't make you better than the rest of the ship, and doesn't mean you get to take over whenever you want. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Perks are nice to get, but it does smack of “let them eat cake” when significant portions of a ship’s amenities are denied to the majority of paying passengers. Similar things happening on NCL (no vibe access/passes being cancelled from pre-paid pax, no observation lounge access for entire cruises, etc all to benefit specific groups).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gerard43 said:

I say this as someone who is 3 nights away from diamond, but I really don't get this obsession with thinking royal Caribbean owes you much of anything for being loyal. It'd be nice to get a discount, and quite frankly that's all I really want is a deeper discount for more cruises that I take, they could keep all the parties and whatever else, I don't need a crystal block to collect dust or a cheap pin or welcome gifts. And it frustrates me that everyone on that ship paid for a cruise, and I personally would expect one of the most public areas on the adult pool deck to be open to everyone who paid to be on the cruise during sail-away. And I don't mean for food beforehand, I mean like the moment of pulling out of the port. 

I just don't get this culture of I've taken more cruises than you so I deserve more. Congratulations, you have money and can take more vacations, doesn't make you better than the rest of the ship, and doesn't mean you get to take over whenever you want. 

I don’t get this attitude at all. Especially when when money are mentioned. Often people cruise more not because they are rich or something, but because they made it a priority. 
And while you appreciate discounts others people appreciate other benefits. No need to mock them. 🙂  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

I don’t get this attitude at all. Especially when when money are mentioned. Often people cruise more not because they are rich or something, but because they made it a priority. 
And while you appreciate discounts others people appreciate other benefits. No need to mock them. 🙂  

And often people reach top tier status because they can cruise often due to living in close proximity to the cruise ports. It’s not being rich, trying to pass as rich, or even prioritizing cruising over other things, but opportunity.

On a northbound Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver, we shared a table at a wine tasting with a couple at the highest Princess loyalty level. The host went through a spiel to identify the people with the most days at sea with Princess. As the number of days went up, the hands fell. Finally it was down to our couple and another man. When his hand finally fell, I was amazed at the number of night this couple had sailed (around 2k if I recall). I asked and she said it almost always comes down to them and that man, and they liked topping him because he tried to lord it over crew how many days he’d sailed. They said they had so many night because they live in Vancouver, they have friends in Anchorage, and they only sail when the cruise is $300pp or less -  it was cheaper than a weekend anywhere else. They stay with their friends in Anchorage on the one ways until they can catch a cheap cruise south.

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

And often people reach top tier status because they can cruise often due to living in close proximity to the cruise ports. It’s not being rich, trying to pass as rich, or even prioritizing cruising over other things, but opportunity.

On a northbound Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver, we shared a table at a wine tasting with a couple at the highest Princess loyalty level. The host went through a spiel to identify the people with the most days at sea with Princess. As the number of days went up, the hands fell. Finally it was down to our couple and another man. When his hand finally fell, I was amazed at the number of night this couple had sailed (around 2k if I recall). I asked and she said it almost always comes down to them and that man, and they liked topping him because he tried to lord it over crew how many days he’d sailed. They said they had so many night because they live in Vancouver, they have friends in Anchorage, and they only sail when the cruise is $300pp or less -  it was cheaper than a weekend anywhere else. They stay with their friends in Anchorage on the one ways until they can catch a cheap cruise south.

We cruised with 8 lines, but from 2016 when we had only 5 cruises with Royal we started cruising 5 times a year. More and more with Royal… because Royal offers lots of choices from NJ, Boston and Baltimore (all within driving distance). Also because Royal offers pretty cheap WiFi so I could work from the ship some days. Also if we return midweek I start working from the car on our way home. 🙂 We used to drive to Florida once a year.. not anymore with nice choices available here. 

It’s all about priorities. My grandfather managed to go on Mediterranean and some other cruises and counters out of USSR in 1960-80ies… Now that was a challenge! 

I totally understand.  We just made diamond.  But now half the places that were diamond exclusive are being turned into places for above diamond. This August will be our first cruise as Diamond and I was really excited but everything I'm reading is they've made diamond almost equivalent to gold.

37 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

I totally understand.  We just made diamond.  But now half the places that were diamond exclusive are being turned into places for above diamond. This August will be our first cruise as Diamond and I was really excited but everything I'm reading is they've made diamond almost equivalent to gold.

Problem is when you have ships sailing at times with Diamond or higher making up the majority of the ship, which seems to be common with Transatlantic cruises they have to make adjustments.  

2 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Perks are nice to get, but it does smack of “let them eat cake” when significant portions of a ship’s amenities are denied to the majority of paying passengers. Similar things happening on NCL (no vibe access/passes being cancelled from pre-paid pax, no observation lounge access for entire cruises, etc all to benefit specific groups).

I don't know what you mean...

Untitled.jpg.7d9ddf50e64ddb70ba211af141a2d8d1.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Which half of places? I’m yet to sail on cruise (last 3 after this change) where Diamonds are excluded from Happy Hours in Crown lounge (and this is only for 3 hours.. includes snacks). Also Diamonds do have 4 drinks per day, free photos and other benefits.

How is this an equivalent if Gold (starting level) ?

Edited by Tatka

Interesting that this thread went from one criticizing Royal providing a benefit to a group and then bashing said group as being entitled. Of all the cruises we’ve sailed as D or higher, a solarium sail away has never been offered to us, so we’d never expect one. Let alone be offended that we didn’t get it. 

I can easily see being upset at Royal for offering this, but to be mad at those who get it?  Really?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

I guess you are referring to the Crown lounge as half the places. Diamonds only have a potential restriction during happy hour. At this point, the lounge is open for D use  the other 21 hours of the day.  

You do realize that except for the highest cruisers,  pinnacles are often excluded from the suite/concierge lounge completely

(Not just during happy hour) and assigned to yes the crown lounge.  

As crown &  anchor numbers increase, changes have to be made to the program.   However, look at your current diamond benefits. I hope you will agree that they are significantly better than gold members.  

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

But now half the places that were diamond exclusive are being turned into places for above diamond.

This isn't true.  At worst you don't have access to the appetizers during happy hour on a C&A-heavy cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This isn't true.  At worst you don't have access to the appetizers during happy hour on a C&A-heavy cruise.

I've just been reading a lot of comments of places that are now for above diamond. Good to know it's not true.

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Other than the time posts, it’s actually 100% of the D access, since it’s only the former D lounge, now known as the crown lounge. That’s it, as far as I know.