What happens now if Covid happens?

Sun Queen II

Hi all, we have been reading recent reviews of folks cruising on Princess who ended up catching covid. This happened to us at the end of our Canada/New England trip in September on Caribbean Princess. We found out once we got home and recovered. 

My question is what happens if you get ill while sailing?  Assume you’re tested and quarantined in your room?  What about compensation for missing part of the cruise?  I believe I read somewhere that your ‘missed days’ are 100% refunded. But is that only if you used Princess Travel Insurance?  Can you get off early and fly home?  Anyone have any recent experience with this while sailing?

We are headed on the Enchanted next week and just curious how things work now. 

2 hours ago, Sun Queen II said:

Hi all, we have been reading recent reviews of folks cruising on Princess who ended up catching covid. This happened to us at the end of our Canada/New England trip in September on Caribbean Princess. We found out once we got home and recovered. 

My question is what happens if you get ill while sailing?  Assume you’re tested and quarantined in your room?  What about compensation for missing part of the cruise?  I believe I read somewhere that your ‘missed days’ are 100% refunded. But is that only if you used Princess Travel Insurance?  Can you get off early and fly home?  Anyone have any recent experience with this while sailing?

We are headed on the Enchanted next week and just curious how things work now. 

I have had Covid on 2 cruises over the last few years. Both times quarantined for 5 days and was able to order all meals from room service and drinks as well. Yes I did get credit for days quarantined to use on future bookings. This was not done through insurance and I received a letter to verify 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

I have had Covid on 2 cruises over the last few years. Both times quarantined for 5 days and was able to order all meals from room service and drinks as well. Yes I did get credit for days quarantined to use on future bookings. This was not done through insurance and I received a letter to verify 

How long ago were those cruises?  I have a sense that Princess may not be so generous on quarantine days now.

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

How long ago were those cruises?  I have a sense that Princess may not be so generous on quarantine days now.

The last one was March 2023. I think this policy is still in effect from what friends of mine have experienced 

I had PVP and caught Covid on July 30th (longer than 7 day cruise).  Isolated in a separate cabin from cabin mate for 2 nights (Covid verified by medical center 3 days after symptom onset).

All of my needs were taken care of and all expenses reimbursed through secondary insurance and AON.  Cash not FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

The last one was March 2023. I think this policy is still in effect from what friends of mine have experienced 

That seems current enough; a little incentive for passengers to 'self report' if symptoms are relatively mild.

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I had PVP and caught Covid on July 30th (longer than 7 day cruise).  Isolated in a separate cabin from cabin mate for 2 nights (Covid verified by medical center 3 days after symptom onset).

All of my needs were taken care of and all expenses reimbursed through secondary insurance and AON.  Cash not FCC.

By expenses, do you mean medical expenses or ??   I guess my question is did you receive some kind of prorated cost of cruise reimbursement for the days you were isolated? 

I was reimbursed 100% for my daily cruise fare x 2 plus $28 for “required” medical records to file my claims.

i was very pleased with my situation since I “missed” a sea day and a port I returned to in a few months.  All meals and drinks were provided through room service.  I had the drink package but medical recommended no alcohol. So got bottles of water, soda, and even specialty coffees.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was reimbursed 100% for my daily cruise fare x 2 plus $28 for “required” medical records to file my claims.

i was very pleased with my situation since I “missed” a sea day and a port I returned to in a few months.  All meals and drinks were provided through room service.  I had the drink package but medical recommended no alcohol. So got bottles of water, soda, and even specialty coffees.  

I never heard of no alcohol for Covid both times I had it I ordered at least a bottle of wine per day plus some manhattans

I got COVID on board a transpacific on the Royal in late October 2023.  I self tested and self-reported.  The medical staff never came to check me out physically or test me.  They phoned to ask me how I was doing and told me to quarantine in room (stayed in our same room - did not move) for 6 days from first onset of Symptoms.  My wife remained in the room and was free to leave and roam the ship. but tried to do so as little as possible.  She never did test positive.  The front desk called daily to ask how I was, but my symptoms were the same as an ordinary flu in my opinion.  After the 6 day period, I was told I would need to be tested and test negative to be cleared out of quarantine, but when I called, they just asked if I could self test (and said my wife would have to self test as well).  We did, and it came back clear for both, so I was cleared later that day.

I received a letter saying I would receive a Future credit for the days spent in quarantine, but it has now been almost 3 months since my quarantine, and thus far I have seen nothing.  Not really too worried as most of those days in quarantine were at sea days, and I was well fed by room service.  We only missed Moorea in French Polynesia, which was a sad day as we looked out on the "forbidden island" from our balcony, but that was as close as we would get to her. 

Edited by Mud_Shark

33 minutes ago, memoak said:

I never heard of no alcohol for Covid both times I had it I ordered at least a bottle of wine per day plus some manhattans

Possibly cr8tiv1 was on Paxlovid where it is not recommended.  

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, memoak said:

I'm not a drinker.  It wasn't a hardship.  But I was taking medication that also recommended no alcohol (reinforced by medical staff and literature).  I didn't miss the drinks.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Possibly cr8tiv1 was on Paxlovid where it is not recommended.  

I drank while on Paxlovid on the first infection no one from medical said a word about drinking 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Wonder - do they quarantine those who via the medallion tracking are known to have been around those who tested positive or even try telling these people of exposure. 

When I tested positive friends I was sailing with were never contacted and my wife was able to go out and enjoy the ship

I was on the Grand Princess Sept - Nov 2023.  On 10 Nov, I self tested positive and was in quarantine for 5 days until I was released at 8am on 15 Nov.  I did not have to test any after the test I did on 10 Nov.  My DH had to wear a mask when he left the cabin and take a self test (provided by the Medical Center) each morning for 5 days and take it down to the Medical Center to be recorded.  He tested positive on the 5th day (14 Nov)  and began his 5 days of quarantine. He never had to take another test and was released on 19 Nov at 8AM.  We were both called each day by the Medical Center and Guest Services to see how we were doing.  Room Service provided lunch and dinner off the MDR menus.  We never had any symptoms  - just a cough for me.  The Medical Center never questioned my daughter or grandson who were travelling with.

We both received a letter from Princess saying we would each receive $297.17 in FCCs for being in quarantine.  I was surprised that Princess was still offering any compensation for being in quarantine.  I   received my FCC  on 12 Dec but DH still hasn't.  Will call Princess to see where it might be.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mud_Shark said:

I got COVID on board a transpacific on the Royal in late October 2023.  I self tested and self-reported.  The medical staff never came to check me out physically or test me.  They phoned to ask me how I was doing and told me to quarantine in room (stayed in our same room - did not move) for 6 days from first onset of Symptoms.  My wife remained in the room and was free to leave and roam the ship. but tried to do so as little as possible.  She never did test positive.  The front desk called daily to ask how I was, but my symptoms were the same as an ordinary flu in my opinion.  After the 6 day period, I was told I would need to be tested and test negative to be cleared out of quarantine, but when I called, they just asked if I could self test (and said my wife would have to self test as well).  We did, and it came back clear for both, so I was cleared later that day.

I received a letter saying I would receive a Future credit for the days spent in quarantine, but it has now been almost 3 months since my quarantine, and thus far I have seen nothing.  Not really too worried as most of those days in quarantine were at sea days, and I was well fed by room service.  We only missed Moorea in French Polynesia, which was a sad day as we looked out on the "forbidden island" from our balcony, but that was as close as we would get to her. 

Your experience is similar to mine on the Emerald Panama Canal cruise in September. I had very mild symptoms and self reported. DH was fine and allowed to be out with a mask. I wasn’t told I had to test to be released from quarantine tho. I had no tests left anyway. I just had a call on the 6th day from when I had stated my symptoms started from medical saying I was released.

I was also told I would get cruise credit for the days in quarantine, but I neglected to get a letter (too trusting). 
I hadn’t received anything after multiple emails and 3 months passing. I eventually sent emails to Colin Steinke cc’d to customer relations and got a phone call the next day that my credit was coming. 
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You may want to do the same.

1 hour ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Wonder - do they quarantine those who via the medallion tracking are known to have been around those who tested positive or even try telling these people of exposure. 

No. They don’t really care anymore. Honestly there are so many viruses around the ships these days, people just have to be vigilant and protect themselves.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I hadn’t received anything after multiple emails and 3 months passing. I eventually sent emails to Colin Steinke cc’d to customer relations and got a phone call the next day that my credit was coming. 
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You may want to do the same.

Would you post the email address for Colin Steinke. TIA

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

No. They don’t really care anymore. Honestly there are so many viruses around the ships these days, people just have to be vigilant and protect themselves.

I really hate to ask, feels like it may sidetrack the thread, but are people on the ships wearing masks or N95s while in large crowded spaces like theaters or in elevators? I’m sure there are ship-provided handwashing stations at the buffet, and the crew are on top of things disinfecting surfaces, etc. but any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do to be more vigilant and protect myself? Serious inquiry. 

3 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I really hate to ask, feels like it may sidetrack the thread, but are people on the ships wearing masks or N95s while in large crowded spaces like theaters or in elevators? 

About 90% don't.

• Thanks 1

Just now, EDVM96 said:

About 90% don't.

I’ve managed since the onset of this to not contract this virus, even while working in a healthcare environment (albeit we were required to strictly adhere to masking procedures, but there were plenty of rule breakers there too). In my private life I’m very careful where and when I go to stores, etc. I’m all vaccinated and boosted against the current variants. I’m still taking masks and N95s. Still a year away and threads like this worry me. 🥸 

• Like 5