NCL's big announcement?

tokidoki

22 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If you have under 35's who can't do that, you have failed as a parent!!  (jk)  Just play them "nothing else matters" once and they'll know their favorite Metallica song forever.  

I say it too often, but you REALLY can't touch this.😎

Maybe the big announcement is a Metallica show in Syds?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Maybe the big announcement is a Metallica show in Syds?

LOL.  Not Syds, and not Metallica, but I was on an Encore sailing when Raul Rojas (outstanding!) did a six song Pink Floyd tribute in the Cavern Club!  😎  It was great!  I want to party with those dudes again some cruise.  Raul actually invited DD to play some guitar on stage during the final set.  That's a great story, but best told in another time in another place....🐀

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I wonder if in 1986, when I went on my first cruise and watched my parents dance the night away to big band hits like "In the Mood", people said "the good stuff from the forties and fifties will never die"?  It's been a long time since I've heard big band music on a cruise.   Come to think of it, I don't recall the last time I heard something from the 50s played on a cruise.  

My dad was a bass player with several famous Big Bands long before I was born. Even growing up in the 60's, I enjoyed listening to Big Band music. I guess it was in my blood. That music is timeless and sure as heck beats what passes for "music" nowadays.

Now...get off my lawn!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, tokidoki said:

anyone know what the big announcement is this monday?   Saw it on FB.  thx

probably that they don't exchange USD anymore  you have to bring your own cash.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Momi said:

probably that they don't exchange USD anymore  you have to bring your own cash.

Yeah.  They've replaced the daily "watch the security video" email with a daily "important news flash - we no longer exchange currency" email.  I never gave a hoot about either.

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Come to think of it, I don't recall the last time I heard something from the 50s played on a cruise.  

If I hear doo-wop on a ship, that might be my last cruise.  I’m Gen X and I enjoy big band, punk, goth, college rock, new wave, classic rock, classic country, folk and a bunch of other genres.  But doo-wop is something I have always despised.

I was just on the Getaway and really liked Million Dollar Quartet.  That’s the kind of 50s music I can handle.

• Like 1

Well I'm a baby boomer and I looooooove doo-wop and sixties rock.  Remember standing in line for hours to get into the Murray the K's Christmas show at the Brooklyn Fox.  (I know, WHO?)

But I do remember them having a big band on one of my first cruises.  They played Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc. They were in a separate lounge and people were dancing. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Well I'm a baby boomer and I looooooove doo-wop and sixties rock.  Remember standing in line for hours to get into the Murray the K's Christmas show at the Brooklyn Fox.  (I know, WHO?)

But I do remember them having a big band on one of my first cruises.  They played Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc. They were in a separate lounge and people were dancing. 

Just stick with the Chief.  I aggressively find the good performers and "encourage" them to play good stuff.  The good ones? (i.e. Louis Rizon)  They're already way ahead of me and I just need to relax and sing along. 😎

• Like 1

any one over 65 who lived on the east coast should know murray the K, alias 5th beatle. major new york dj. right up there with cousin brucie

and if you dont like and appreciate doo wopp, you're missing a great number of amazing groups and songs. 

if all  i heard on a hip was doo wopp, i'd be in heaven.

lets hear it for the 5 satins, the flamingoes, and the penquins to just to name a few of the many outstanding vocal groups from that era.

by the way, i'm 76, and i am definitely NOT A SWIFTIE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

LOL.  Not Syds, and not Metallica, but I was on an Encore sailing when Raul Rojas (outstanding!) did a six song Pink Floyd tribute in the Cavern Club!  😎  It was great!  I want to party with those dudes again some cruise.  Raul actually invited DD to play some guitar on stage during the final set.  That's a great story, but best told in another time in another place....🐀

Do tell the story, if not here, find another place we can all read it. 😊

having read  all of ncl's underwhelming "big "announcements", from 70% off 2nd guest, 2nd guess is free, 50% off cruise, etc and seeing no major changes in actual pricing, i'm not going to hold my breath

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, complawyer said:

having read  all of ncl's underwhelming "big "announcements", from 70% off 2nd guest, 2nd guess is free, 50% off cruise, etc and seeing no major changes in actual pricing, i'm not going to hold my breath

Based upon my experience, this 'big announcement' is a sale.

On 1/26/2024 at 1:27 PM, stinkyharriet said:

They’re going to be sailing out of Jacksonville, FL.  

16 hours ago, LRY229 said:

Our local news says a new cruiseline is coming to Jacksonville and they are saying they think its NCL

14 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

(1) Cruises will be begin to sail out of Jacksonville

(2) Redeployment of The Dawn possible to Jacksonville getting Her out of harms way. 

ITA with above, and it looks like NCL also agrees:

image.png.4e189f8c11eb7100965c844bd4189640.png

https://cruiseradio.net/jacksonville-florida-new-cruise-ship/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Doo-wop??  What?!  Who brought that up??  Did I miss that?  Is this some type of Gen X crazy?

It was the mention of 50s music.  While I know there were different genres of music in the 50s, my brain thinks of doo-wop and I despise doo-wop!  Rockabilly, country, rock & roll, other music popular in the 50s is fine.  

On 1/26/2024 at 1:55 PM, WestCoastDeb said:

If everyone gets the discount is it really a discount or did they just price it 10% over intended selling price?

That is kinda like the NCL 50% off promo. (Where the cruise prices are twice as expensive as before the "special" pricing! )

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Gotta keep the cruise line viable into the future. Us old folks only have a few more years of contributing to NCL’s bottom line.

Need to hook the middle age folks (target those with enough money to generate a consistent revenue stream vs one-off booze cruise kids). = contemporary cruiser. 

Sadly, I know what you are talking about!

• Like 1