NCL's big announcement?

tokidoki

21 hours ago, stinkyharriet said:

If I hear doo-wop on a ship, that might be my last cruise.  I’m Gen X and I enjoy big band, punk, goth, college rock, new wave, classic rock, classic country, folk and a bunch of other genres.  But doo-wop is something I have always despised.

I was just on the Getaway and really liked Million Dollar Quartet.  That’s the kind of 50s music I can handle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok…gonna chime in.  I grew up in the 70s with the greats like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, YES, The Who, Queen, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Deep Purple, late Beatles, Wings, Elton John, The Steve Miller Band…and more and more.  The early 80s had many greats, as well. But, I can pour a glass of wine and twirl around the room to tunes sung by Sinatra and Tony Bennett and feel like this was my generation.  And…put this on the turntable, and I become an elementary school girl peeking out my bedroom door to the party where the women drank whiskey sours.  That artist is:: Marty Robbins, Gunfighter Ballards. Ok, now you know I’m old…😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Ok…gonna chime in.  I grew up in the 70s with the greats like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, YES, The Who, Queen, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Deep Purple, late Beatles, Wings, Elton John, The Steve Miller Band…and more and more.  The early 80s had many greats, as well. But, I can pour a glass of wine and twirl around the room to tunes sung by Sinatra and Tony Bennett and feel like this was my generation.  And…put this on the turntable, and I become an elementary school girl peeking out my bedroom door to the party where the women drank whiskey sours.  That artist is:: Marty Robbins, Gunfighter Ballards. Ok, now you know I’m old…😂

Love it!

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 5:32 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Good musicians gravitate towards the good music.  Dates don't matter.

So true. On our cruise a few weeks ago, one of the crew members, who described himself as a vocalist, loves the music of Joan Jett and Johnny Cash. Both are incredible artist, in my book, and worth replaying every day. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I do like me some great Johnny Cash.  When appropriate, I always ask for Folsom Prison.  I mean, it starts with a train.....😎

That took some stones to go into Folsom and perform it live!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

That’s me too! 🥂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

What?? No Barry Manilow?

12 hours ago, CAKEisgood said:

So true. On our cruise a few weeks ago, one of the crew members, who described himself as a vocalist, loves the music of Joan Jett and Johnny Cash. Both are incredible artist, in my book, and worth replaying every day. 

Interestingly (at least to me), went to see Dave Matthews a few years ago.  The sponsor of the concert had back stage passes.  Their VP and I are friends, so he let me have a couple.  

Joan Jett was back stage.  Don't know why as to my knowledge she wasn't performing.  Anyway, while we were milling about the reception area for the artists, she was filling her plate with some fruit they had put on a conference table.  

She was right behind me and accidentally bumped into me.  She said "sorry Baby...hi, I'm Joan Jett"!   She put her plate down and shook my hand. She got her food, went to hang with her friends.  I was dumbstruck.  I remember thinking.."dang, she looks good for a hard partying Rock Star".   Probably was about 60 at the time.

Of course, I should have engaged in a conversation because I'll never get that chance, again.  But alas, I didn't.

Still remember her smell....a mix of patchouli and hairspray.  LOL!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 12:51 PM, jack300s said:

I got this email from our PCC today. It could be this?

Latitude Members Cruise: Join us for an exclusive Latitude Alaska Cruise, Plus get an extra 10% off.

Bliss - September 28 - October 5, 2024.

image.thumb.png.8e47d32a57f5d815eefce0c7a9b2ef92.png

But this isn't new.  I've had the offer on my account for a while now.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Oh man....now y'all did it......Maurice White is gone, but had many a heated makeout session to this.....

We saw Earth, Wind, and Fire at Bethel Woods (the original Woodstock site) in the summer of 2022. They opened for Santana.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:09 PM, BirdTravels said:

Gotta keep the cruise line viable into the future. Us old folks only have a few more years of contributing to NCL’s bottom line.

Need to hook the middle age folks (target those with enough money to generate a consistent revenue stream vs one-off booze cruise kids). = contemporary cruiser. 

image.png.ad80413f08e7f514499855f72b5e489c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

What?? No Barry Manilow?

LOL.  He was absolute middle of the road for me.  I could easily listen to his music but would never request it.  It wasn't crap.  Ed Kelley did a Barry Manilow tribute on the Sun last July.  Ed is a great singer/piano player.  Has anybody spotted him recently.  Short guy from Canada.  He gave an interesting history lesson.  Barry's hit "I write the songs" was written from God's perspective.  It wasn't a self-centered tribute to himself.  I found that very enlightening.

Then he made comments leading up to playing "Mandy."  DW mistakenly asked if the song was going to be "Brandy."  Not being able to help myself (again) I corrected her and said "no it's Mandy, not Brandy.  That would be looking glass."  Ed overheard and made some comment to me that "I knew some stuff."  He already knew that I drank.  Right @Sailing12Away?🐀

Which brings us full circle back to the Brandy video posted early on in this great and wandering thread.😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

image.png.ad80413f08e7f514499855f72b5e489c.png

In 2022 we attended the Willie Nelson Outlaw tour at Bethel Woods, the original Woodstock site. Willie was at the top of the bill, ZZ Top, was listed next, and then Luke Bryan. There were also several more groups, but we did not intend to be there all day and got there during Luke Bryan's set. 

Lots and lots of fans actually left before ZZ Top and Willie Nelson, so it was the opposite of people leaving for the old guys like Willie and Keith.

On the positive side, it was a sold out concert, and getting out of there is usually impossible when the place is sold out. (Same summer it took us hours to get home from Santana even though we are under half an hour away.) But for Wille, so many left that it was no problem getting out of the parking lot and even less once one reached the road.

• Like 1