Do they still serve the sweet bread for breakfast

Last time I was on a Royal Caribbean ship was before covid and in Windjammer they used to have a lovely sweet bread with crystallised sugar on the top, I'm now on Ovation of the Seas and I can't find it, do they still do it?

10 minutes ago, WELDON said:

That bread is a stollen. Yes, they do. If you don't see it, ask someone. On my cruise last month, it was near the muffins. 

Excellent, thank you I know to look for it now

23 minutes ago, WELDON said:

That bread is a stollen. Yes, they do. If you don't see it, ask someone. On my cruise last month, it was near the muffins. 

I like it too and it is nothing like any stollen I have ever had! 

I usually find it in the promenade cafe.

• Like 1

We’re on Oasis now and the bread is my favorite.  I’ve found it all over the ship.  Now it seems to have only raisins, I seem to remember it having other fruits also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

I am saying this now!!! I don’t want sweetbreads for any meals. 

Totally agree. I never understood why they call this sweet bread

Never had it, but I don't see anything sweet about it. 🤢

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbread#:~:text=Sweetbread is a culinary name,(ris d'agneau).

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I like it too and it is nothing like any stollen I have ever had! 

I usually find it in the promenade cafe.

Whilst I stand by my opinion, I was perhaps a little harsh since there are many adaptations of regional recipes on the ships.

The bread has raisins and cranberries.  The description next to the bread uses the word stollen. It may not be an authentic recipe but it is similar. This is RC's interpretation of the bread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ATG said:

We’re on Oasis now and the bread is my favorite.  I’ve found it all over the ship.  Now it seems to have only raisins, I seem to remember it having other fruits also.

I did spy some cranberries in it.  It used to have sliced almonds on the top--those are gone...

Confession:  on disembarkation day, I bring a baggie with me and nab 4 or 5 slices to bring home 😇

Edited by teddie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, teddie said:

I did spy some cranberries in it.  It used to have sliced almonds on the top--those are gone...

Confession:  on disembarkation day, I bring a baggie with me and nab 4 or 5 slices to bring home 😇

Yes the recipe has certainly changed. I used to overindulge, now not so much!

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Totally agree. I never understood why they call this sweet bread

Never had it, but I don't see anything sweet about it. 🤢

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetbread#:~:text=Sweetbread is a culinary name,(ris d'agneau).

I’ve had those and they are pretty tasty actually.  But that’s me. 

teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WELDON said:

The bread has raisins and cranberries.  The description next to the bread uses the word stollen. It may not be an authentic recipe but it is similar. This is RC's interpretation of the bread.

I did clarify above that may be the case. I have never noticed an actual sign. I usually just point or self-serve!

Here's the recipe posted way back by @reallyitsmema

Posted July 18, 2011
I found it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900066&highlight=bread+recipe&page=2

Alexis posted via igot2cruz back in 2009.

Here you go. This is what is the raisin and cranberry AUSTRIAN STRIEZEL that igot2cruz calls what you want.

AUSTRIAN STRIEZEL

2 (¼ -ounce or 7 g) packages dry yeast

1 tablespoon (15 g) sugar 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rum

1 cup (250 ml) water, lukewarm

2 pounds (900 g) all-purpose flour

¼ teaspoon (1.2 g) salt

½ cup (120 ml) milk

4 eggs

½ cup (120 g) butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract

Zest of ½ lemon

½ cup (120 g) raisins

½ cup (120 g) dried cranberries

1 egg yolk, beaten

Garnish - slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 400F or 200C.

1.To prepare dough, combine yeast, sugar and ½ cup (120 ml) water in a bowl and whisk until yeast has dissolved. In a stand mixer or a large bowl, combine all ingredients except raisins and cranberries and mix for 2 minutes at low speed, then for 8 minutes at high speed using a dough hook. The dough should be soft and elastic.

2.If kneading by hand, add flour a cup (250 g) at a time and knead for 10 minutes. Add raisins and cranberries to dough and mix well. Shape dough into a ball.

3.Cover and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for 20 minutes.

4.Punch down dough and divide into 1 pound (450 g) loaves. Cover and allow to relax for 20 minutes.

5.Cut dough into 3 equal pieces and hand roll each dough into 12-inch by 4-inch strip (30 x 10 cm).

6.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick spray. Transfer rolls to the baking sheet and braid,tucking the ends under.Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.

7.Brush braids with egg yolk and let rise for another 10 minutes. Brush a second time and sprinkle with slivered almonds.

8.Bake for 20 minutes, until nicely golden or until loaves sound hollow when their undersides are thumped.

Serves 6.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, teddie said:

Here's the recipe posted way back by @reallyitsmema

Posted July 18, 2011
I found it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900066&highlight=bread+recipe&page=2

Alexis posted via igot2cruz back in 2009.

Here you go. This is what is the raisin and cranberry AUSTRIAN STRIEZEL that igot2cruz calls what you want.

AUSTRIAN STRIEZEL

2 (¼ -ounce or 7 g) packages dry yeast

1 tablespoon (15 g) sugar 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rum

1 cup (250 ml) water, lukewarm

2 pounds (900 g) all-purpose flour

¼ teaspoon (1.2 g) salt

½ cup (120 ml) milk

4 eggs

½ cup (120 g) butter, room temperature

1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract

Zest of ½ lemon

½ cup (120 g) raisins

½ cup (120 g) dried cranberries

1 egg yolk, beaten

Garnish - slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 400F or 200C.

1.To prepare dough, combine yeast, sugar and ½ cup (120 ml) water in a bowl and whisk until yeast has dissolved. In a stand mixer or a large bowl, combine all ingredients except raisins and cranberries and mix for 2 minutes at low speed, then for 8 minutes at high speed using a dough hook. The dough should be soft and elastic.

2.If kneading by hand, add flour a cup (250 g) at a time and knead for 10 minutes. Add raisins and cranberries to dough and mix well. Shape dough into a ball.

3.Cover and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for 20 minutes.

4.Punch down dough and divide into 1 pound (450 g) loaves. Cover and allow to relax for 20 minutes.

5.Cut dough into 3 equal pieces and hand roll each dough into 12-inch by 4-inch strip (30 x 10 cm).

6.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with nonstick spray. Transfer rolls to the baking sheet and braid,tucking the ends under.Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.

7.Brush braids with egg yolk and let rise for another 10 minutes. Brush a second time and sprinkle with slivered almonds.

8.Bake for 20 minutes, until nicely golden or until loaves sound hollow when their undersides are thumped.

Serves 6.

Thanks.  When we get home I’ll try this.  I enjoy baking bread and would love to add this to my recipe list.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Last time I was on a Royal Caribbean ship was before covid and in Windjammer they used to have a lovely sweet bread with crystallised sugar on the top, I'm now on Ovation of the Seas and I can't find it, do they still do it?

On our recent Anthem cruise (Jan29/2024) They had it and was almost an everyday item FROM ROOM SERVICE.

It was a fairly traditional (stollen) yeast raised sweetbread with raisins and a delicate sugary crisp crust. It was almost an everyday item when we asked for Danish pastries on our order.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

On our recent Anthem cruise (Jan29/2024) They had it and was almost an everyday item FROM ROOM SERVICE.

It was a fairly traditional (stollen) yeast raised sweetbread with raisins and a delicate sugary crisp crust. It was almost an everyday item when we asked for Danish pastries on our order.

OOOH  Did you request it specifically from Room Service, or did it come with the pastries plate?

Teddie

I have been addicted to this for  First breakfast with latte on the Promenade since our first cruise on Voyager, I have it several times a week on any cruise...I sure hope they never discontinue it.  Like it so much I ordered the Swedish sugar off Amazon so I can put it on my own breads!   Second breakfast is in MDR....LOL  Also, addicted to the sour dough rolls which are harder to come by these days and always request they be heated, they are happy to do that for us.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

They do in WJ and Crown Lounge, we don’t eat in MDR for breakfast so I don’t know if they have it there. It’s different than it was before shutdown, it seems to be lacking fruit and did they have nuts in it before? Anyway they do have it.

• Like 1