Chair Hogs

twoshay

Was on the N. Statendam recently and yes they were enforcing it.  The drink servers watch to see what lounge hasn't been used in an hour and take up the towels and place the items left on the lounges in the list and found.  There were a few irate people. But,  honestly,  after a few days there were always lounges available. 

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Hmmmm, but he was occupying said chair, wasn’t he?

Did he leave his chair for extended periods of time?

Seems to me that as long as he  continually occupied said chair, this doesn’t meet the definition of a chair hog. 

I agree. I have not paid attention to how long an occupant stays in a chair. What bothers me is the variety of hats, sunglasses, and books that bask in the sun for a long time.

I had a lounger on Promenade for most of the day on Zaandam recently. Except for a trip to the cabin for something I forgot and a very quick run for a snack and a drink at the Lido, I sat in the chair, reading and "supervising" the ocean. I never thought of it as hogging, since I wasn't leaving it claimed but unused. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I had originally written the same thing in my post but decided to delete it as people were posting that a chair hog is someone who claims a chair and then leaves it empty much of the time.  I feel a chair hog is also someone who claims a public space for themselves and uses it all day at the expense of everyone else.  

I noticed on our last cruise that someone was squatting in the library.  They had lots of dirty mugs and plates around them and were using the library as a place to use their computer.  We dropped in the library throughout the day and this person was always there.  Sad to say, but yes, chair hogs are also in the library, and there are so few chairs there.

I respectfully disagree that a chair being used (library, pool or ...) is being hogged. When I think of "chogs" (chair hogs), I think of people staking claim to a chair then leaving it absent. While it might be frustrating that 1 person occupies a chair for long periods of time when chairs are in short supply, if they're actually sitting in it, they're not hogging it, IMO.

I DO feel they're hogging; however, if a sign limiting the usage is posted and they knowingly violate/disregard it. Example: ThermalSpa posts signs limiting use of ceramic chairs to 30 min - some people are known to nap in them all day.

Perhaps the library might consider posting similar signs.

20240225_225134.thumb.jpg.d7f33f6943a39668a5d3d9dbb71c97da.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Upload
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

What about people playing games or reading during busy meal times in the Lido? Irritating when you're holding your plate and there's no place to sit down.

While frustrating, that's totally legal/OK in my book.....

They are occupying/using the valuable "real estate".....It's when the valuable "real estate" is left to not be used/occupied/enjoyed by others that a chair hog makes.....

big difference, IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

While frustrating, that's totally legal/OK in my book.....

They are occupying/using the valuable "real estate".....It's when the valuable "real estate" is left to not be used/occupied/enjoyed by others that a chair hog makes.....

big difference, IMO.

Not chogs, but damned inconsiderate. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, syesmar said:

What is an acceptable length of time to be away from the lounger enjoying the pool?

Variable... I'd say when the skin on the fingers begins to wrinkle, that's long enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have to agree with @SusieKIslandGirl that readers or game players during peak lunch hour periods is not just irritating, it's rude and "not okay".  Are diners supposed to eat standing up with a plate in their hand while others are engrossed in their books at the dining table?

It's beyond frustrating 😫 😑 while the views are fabulous (which they don't know cuz they're looking at the tiles, cards, books...) the first use of those chairs should be dining.

I didn't notice the signs helped, but maybe it would be worse if they weren't posted.

20230916_141450.thumb.jpg.e68070f8fccc7208f7c1a345ea960613.jpg

• Like 11

I didn't see signs like that, but I almost never ate in the Lido because tables were occupied. I usually took my breakfast or lunch out to the pool area. I was surprised on my recent cruise to see very few card games by the pool. More often, women working on needlework projects. Even at lunch I sometimes got a table by the windows. And the row of tables between those and the loungers usually had good availability. 

My definition of a chair hog would  be persons who come down in the morning and stake out multiple desirable loungers with their stuff and leave without even sitting down. Someone who uses the space and leaves hours later for lunch or activity with the idea of returning does not bother me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

My definition of a chair hog would  be persons who come down in the morning and stake out multiple desirable loungers with their stuff and leave without even sitting down. Someone who uses the space and leaves hours later for lunch or activity with the idea of returning does not bother me. 

And one who spends a long time in the pool, like my DW, is definitely not a chair hog!

• Like 3

While we are on the subject.....

On a scenic cruising day - Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, etc. you will occasionally see people sleeping for hours on lounge chairs in the crow's nest in prime viewing spots.   

Sleep in your cabin!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

The dictionary meaning of hog is to take or use more than your share of something; to monopolize something so as to prevent others from using or enjoying it.  This is why I feel that someone who claims a chair for themselves for long periods of time, whether they are actually using it or not, are still hogging the chair.

Well established etiquette in public spaces is to be considerate of others and to not allow your behaviour to impact others.  Using a public space for long periods of time so that others cannot use it is not being considerate of others and is allowing your own behaviour to negatively affect others.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

While we are on the subject.....

On a scenic cruising day - Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, etc. you will occasionally see people sleeping for hours on lounge chairs in the crow's nest in prime viewing spots.   

Sleep in your cabin!

I am guilty of this. I don’t plan on falling asleep anywhere outside my cabin, but I have. And I know I snore. Sorry. Please don’t berate me. You are welcome to tap me until I awake and “offer” that I might be more comfortable in the bed in my cabin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbr663 said:

The dictionary meaning of hog is to take or use more than your share of something; to monopolize something so as to prevent others from using or enjoying it.  This is why I feel that someone who claims a chair for themselves for long periods of time, whether they are actually using it or not, are still hogging the chair.

Well established etiquette in public spaces is to be considerate of others and to not allow your behaviour to impact others.  Using a public space for long periods of time so that others cannot use it is not being considerate of others and is allowing your own behaviour to negatively affect others.

I'm curious as to what you view as an acceptable length of time someone can remain on their lounger before you consider the person to be a chair hog. Two hours? Four hours? And if there are empty loungers available, would you still hold them to that time limit? 

• Like 4

I put chair hogs in the same category as the person who parks in a handicapped spot so they can, "Run into the store to pick up something".  There are selfish people everywhere.  No matter the circumstances.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Latkebabka said:

I am guilty of this. I don’t plan on falling asleep anywhere outside my cabin, but I have. And I know I snore. Sorry. Please don’t berate me. You are welcome to tap me until I awake and “offer” that I might be more comfortable in the bed in my cabin. 

Ok, we'll do:

cartoon-sledge-hammer-guy.gif.80ed6131dacdbfe1148dc89cd326b786.gif

• Haha 1

Treading dangerously here... If somebody is occupying a seat lounger, etc. good for them. We saw people in theatre grabbing chairs many hours before super bowl parties and understand some want prime seating for Alaska or Panama Canal. Not my cup of tea. But staking claim to multiple prime seating for persons who will not arrive for hours should be off limits. 

The morning pool 'hogging' is always frustrating and the same phenomenon happens on all cruise lines and AI resorts.  On a cruise with one or two 'small' pools a single attendant could be present upon opening and see who is taking advantage of a situation ie. staking out multiple chairs and attempting to leave. They could simply advise that unless your party is here please do not reserve multiple chairs. They can also see people who immediately leave and caution them. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to deduce who is doing this. And you even have the most brazen who will 'reserve' loungers in two areas even though they can't use both at the same time.

Later in the morning things 'work' out as passengers who just want a chair filter down with no mal intent. 

I know this is an oft debated topic but I still feel some morning intervention by the pool attendant could stop 80% of the abuse. JMHO

• Like 5

16 hours ago, cbr663 said:

With this we completely disagree!  If folks want to sit in a chair/lounger for the entire day in a public area (not in a restaurant) why not?  Folks are not "entitled" to use a chair/lounger just because they think it is their right!  DW and I still remember a time, on Princess or HAL, when we were enjoying breakfast (with another couple) in the Lido.  A lady came over to our table and said, "I am sorry, but you need to move so our knitting group can sit at this table."  DW politely replied that they were welcome to the table after we had finished our breakfast.  The lady was not satisfied and pointed out that her little knitting group always used "their table" in the morning.  And no, we did not relinquish the table until we were finished with breakfast.  The "knitting group" found another nearby table, but were not happy!

Hank

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rothbury said:

I put chair hogs in the same category as the person who parks in a handicapped spot so they can, "Run into the store to pick up something".  There are selfish people everywhere.  No matter the circumstances.

Years ago we were at the dinner table and my younger brother mentioned that he had received a ticket for parking/stopping in a handicap zone in front of the local drug store.  My dad said 'they're not for the mentally handicapped'.  Now, that was funny!

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Years ago we were at the dinner table and my younger brother mentioned that he had received a ticket for parking/stopping in a handicap zone in front of the local drug store.  My dad said 'they're not for the mentally handicapped'.  Now, that was funny!

I think morally handicapped might be more appropriate than mentally handicapped.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think morally handicapped might be more appropriate than mentally handicapped.

Perhaps... at that time I don't think that would have been a phrase in an 17 year old's vocabulary.