Chair Hogs

twoshay

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

If unused for 20 minutes, I believe you can remove the belongings and claim the chair for yourself. 

Anyone who is rude enough to be a chair hog is likely to be very nasty if their stuff is moved. I like Carnival's attempt to control things. That way, chairs are not "claimed," they're available and you can say "I don't know where your stuff is."

This is my ultimate chair hog picture. Monogrammed towels so they can definitely say IT'S MINE. And notice that each of them had THREE towels. OINK!!!!

Taken 8-9 AM on Eurodam last winter. I eat breakfast in the pool area, and I remember that not one of the "claimed" loungers by the pool had an occupant in the time I sat out there. 

IMG_20230120_071341702_HDR.jpg

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Taken 8-9 AM on Eurodam last winter. I eat breakfast in the pool area,

Our preferred breakfast dining area is the pool lido deck and we are usually up early in the am....On occasion, we will watch the chair hogs creep up and begin their daily assault of claiming "their space" right by the pool...They bring all manners of "personal stuff" to make their claim.....It is quite funny.....then they go away......

sometimes I happen to notice when going to/fro/by the lido during the day that their "area" is rarely occupied.

It must be some sort of tribal instinct and helps explain the land rushes across the USA western plains when the west was first settled.......I think it is a human trait to "claim space". 

I'd love a shrink to examine these folks and report back to us. 

I'd also love for HAL to make it clear with a timed mark on the chair and then once the timer goes off, the personal items are sent to lost and found.  The real estate is too valuable and in such a great location to not let folks use it.

• Like 6

Just move their towels (after an appropriate wait for them to return), and if they do return, claim the lounger was clear when you sat down. 

People in the chairs are, of course, allowed time to go to the rest room, or to get in the pool or hot tub for a while. But holding a chair while they go off to do something else? Ah, no. One 'seat' gets one seat (at a time). 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Just move their towels (after an appropriate wait for them to return), and if they do return, claim the lounger was clear when you sat down. 

I wish it was this easy @RuthC!!!!!!

....but in reality.....

they put personal stuff so you end up moving their personal stuff (where do you put it?) and then they might yell at you for breaking/stealing their ray bans or expensive suntan lotion.

they also will return and say.....we just went to the bathroom and to get a burger.....we were only gone 5 minutes.

....and their accomplices may be nearby and will vouch for them.....

also, I would not want to lie and tell them it was clear when I sat down down.....I'd have to tell them the truth. 

Sadly, as @3rdGenCunarder referenced, chair hog type people are not very nice....IME and IMO. It's a character flaw....same folks that board the ship and go right to guest services and start yelling......

(this is a fun topic, BTW)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RuthC said:

People in the chairs are, of course, allowed time to go to the rest room, or to get in the pool or hot tub for a while. But holding a chair while they go off to do something else? Ah, no. One 'seat' gets one seat (at a time). 

I always wonder if I'm on the borderline of being a chair hog. I do come early, get some lido breakfast, and come back to eat it with various members of my family coming and going. I regularly go to the washroom, into the pool, or to get a snack. Occasionally I may pop back to my room if I forgot something. I don't think I often exceed 20 minutes away: but maybe that happens from time to time?

Members of my family come and go all day, but usually we 'keep' 4 chairs even if all 4 of us aren't present at the time. (We usually occupy a 4-chair nook. I can't see other folks genuinely wanting to share a nook with another family, but we would make space to do so, if anyone asked.)

Do you guys think I need to change my ways? (Please be nice if I do. I really am someone who is open to learning and changing if I'm on the wrong side of good manners.)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

also, I would not want to lie and tell them it was clear when I sat down down.....I'd have to tell them the truth. 

It IS the truth if you are standing when you clear the chair off---THEN sit down. 

Of course you allow time for them to use the restroom; I said that in my original post. But certainly 20 minutes to a half hour is time enough to take care of those needs. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Anyone who is rude enough to be a chair hog is likely to be very nasty if their stuff is moved. I like Carnival's attempt to control things. That way, chairs are not "claimed," they're available and you can say "I don't know where your stuff is."

This is my ultimate chair hog picture. Monogrammed towels so they can definitely say IT'S MINE. And notice that each of them had THREE towels. OINK!!!!

Taken 8-9 AM on Eurodam last winter. I eat breakfast in the pool area, and I remember that not one of the "claimed" loungers by the pool had an occupant in the time I sat out there. 

IMG_20230120_071341702_HDR.jpg

Cindy and Geoff are sooooo special!

Id love to have them paged to the front desk.😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I wish it was this easy @RuthC!!!!!!

....but in reality.....

they put personal stuff so you end up moving their personal stuff (where do you put it?) and then they might yell at you for breaking/stealing their ray bans or expensive suntan lotion.

they also will return and say.....we just went to the bathroom and to get a burger.....we were only gone 5 minutes.

....and their accomplices may be nearby and will vouch for them.....

Sadly, as @3rdGenCunarder referenced, chair hog type people are not very nice....IME and IMO. It's a character flaw....same folks that board the ship and go right to guest services and start yelling......

(this is a fun topic, BTW)

Turn it into Lost and Found - It will be safer for them there than abandoned on the pool deck.   Just trying to help them out....

• Like 3

My wife and I will pile our stuff into one lounger, out of the way, when we go to the pool. If there were lockers we could use we would use that instead of a lounger. Separate issue from chair hogs, but keel hauling customers wouldn't go over well with corporate 🤠

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

It IS the truth if you are standing when you clear the chair off---THEN sit down. 

Of course you allow time for them to use the restroom; I said that in my original post. But certainly 20 minutes to a half hour is time enough to take care of those needs. 

DW swims laps, or at least tries to, and keep easily go that long or longer.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

DW swims laps, or at least tries to, and keep easily go that long or longer.

And chances are, DW's shoes/sandals are at the chair.  Chair hogs tend to leave superfluous crap, but not their footwear because they're wearing it off wherever they are. Assuming somebody was IN the pool, if there were shoes/sandals at a lounger I would assume they belong to that person.  A lounger with nothing like that I would assume is a chair hog and would love to just pick up their belongings and set it aside somewhere so someone else could enjoy the chair.  I'll be up in the Retreat, so it's the principle of the thing vs wanting the lounger for my own use.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

And chances are, DW's shoes/sandals are at the chair.  Chair hogs tend to leave superfluous crap, but not their footwear because they're wearing it off wherever they are.

Exactly. Clothes on the lounger, too. 

10 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

And chances are, DW's shoes/sandals are at the chair.  Chair hogs tend to leave superfluous crap, but not their footwear because they're wearing it off wherever they are. Assuming somebody was IN the pool, if there were shoes/sandals at a lounger I would assume they belong to that person.  A lounger with nothing like that I would assume is a chair hog and would love to just pick up their belongings and set it aside somewhere so someone else could enjoy the chair.  I'll be up in the Retreat, so it's the principle of the thing vs wanting the lounger for my own use.

Sue/WDW1972

Yes, she does that. She can have a lounger a long time, but she is definitely not a chair hog.

• Like 1

What better use for one's phone camera - than to record the time and the condition of the lounger?

Tick tock ..tick tock ....tick tock ...... then POUNCE. No excuses when you can show them the proof.

• Like 2

One woman, elderly, barked at me when I  told her she didn't have the right to hold the chair for over an hour while she went off and had lunch. She said, "what do you want, for me to eat faster?" Nasty woman.

• Haha 2