Are the facials and massages worth the money

F15 wife

Difficult to quantify, but for us they are not.  We do regular facials/massages at Hand & Stone nearby.  Their cost is significantly less that the on board prices and there's no attempt to sell product.  

• Like 2

It's totally up to you and your budget. It's a frivolous expense. I stick to the usual Swedish or deep tissue which are safe choices. It is relaxing but it is over $200 more than I pay at home. 

True story - 

Just after the restart, the officer's soiree consisted of some officers  just wandering the Martini Bar area for a half hour or so. I met and chatted with the Chief Revenue Officer. S class, maybe Reflection.

He told me their model is that the higher on the ship, the more revenue is to be generated. Hence,  the inflated spa prices. He also said that they deliberately keep the spa prices high to give the impression that it is "special", and therefore (seemingly) more desirable.  

I truly do not remember asking him a question, but  I thought it was interesting that he chose to chat about that. 

That said, I have had exceptional massages, and one or two that were average at best. I agree that it is a good use of excess OBC, along with watching for mid-cruise special pricing. 

I've not had a facial on board since I found a great esthetician at home, but on board is also good for pampering and OBC burning.  You will not, however, leave looking 20 years younger. 

• Haha 1

Not to me. Along with the inflated pricing comes a sales pitch that is annoying. I have tried telling the person performing the service that I prefer a quiet service (massage or facial), that I will not be buying any products and that if they want an additional gratuity to dispense with the sales pitch. Despite this, the sales pitch happens. They must be under quite a bit of pressure to sell. I prefer the services I can get at home. Half the price (or less), just as good or better and no sales pitch.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

He told me their model is that the higher on the ship, the more revenue is to be generated. Hence,  the inflated spa prices.  

I hope he didn't have to get an MBA to make such an insightful comment...

Reality is the prices are high but they are in line with other cruise lines, hotel and resort spas. People will pay it so they charge it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

I hope he didn't have to get an MBA to make such an insightful comment...

Reality is the prices are high but they are in line with other cruise lines, hotel and resort spas. People will pay it so they charge it. 

No argument from me. My point was that I had never thought of revenue as it relates to real estate location on the ship. I guess that makes me not an MBA candidate.

The newest Princess ships have the spa facilities on mid ship decks, so I guess they don't share the location / revenue strategy. 

What Company is running the spa on S and M Class? Canyon Ranch was

disappointing...as to pricing, service and attitude.

On E Class..it's a Royal Entity..  beautiful facility, great service,  and I get the  pre booking discount pricevthat includes the grat,,

Basic facial, Massage and basic  Kerastase at the Salon are worth it to me!

Is it worth it to get a massage for twice what it costs at home….?  It’s totally your call.  If you have OBC to burn, maybe.  None of my best massages have been on a ship.  Several of my worst have been.  Personally, I’d rather have my hair washed and blown dry while looking at the ocean.  The salons are smaller and more intimate than the big ones at home.  I went once and was the only person in there.  They normally have a wall of windows and the high up views are phenomenal!  BONUS - no sales pitch to buy a bunch of products when it is over 😁

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are they more expensive than my at home ones, yes.  Do I find them worth it on board, that is also a yes.  I always get either a good facial, massage, body wrap and find them very good.  I have never been pressured into buying anything, yes there is a sales pitch but all I say no thankyou and it is always ended at that.  The main thing with at home, I have been seeing the same therapist for 10 years and knows my body.  I always make sure I have one right before the cruise from her.  I also book on board as its a different type of thing, its a vacation and its part of enjoying it for myself

Many years ago, I would use my OBC for a massage.......my vacation treat.  But I haven't done that in a long time.  Not worth it IMO.  Then a few years ago, I didn't have time to get my nails done pre-cruise, so I booked a nail appointment for the second day.  She did a horrible job, and I was so unhappy.  Never again!  (The hand massage was good however)

I have been wondering how/if the number of spa reservations has changed since Celebrity has  made changes in giving OBC...are many cruisers skipping the spa, or just using their own money?  I have only used OBC in the past, so may not be doing any spa time forthcoming, as opportunity cost just doesn’t appeal to me if I can’t use OBC; of course, that’s just my personal opinion.

IMHO everything is overpriced on a cruise ship from the drinks (4 dollars for water is insane) to the Wi-Fi to the specialty restaurants and everything else in between but we’ve been on 73 cruises and will still cruise but watch how we spend our money

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Not to me. Along with the inflated pricing comes a sales pitch that is annoying. I have tried telling the person performing the service that I prefer a quiet service (massage or facial), that I will not be buying any products and that if they want an additional gratuity to dispense with the sales pitch. Despite this, the sales pitch happens. They must be under quite a bit of pressure to sell. I prefer the services I can get at home. Half the price (or less), just as good or better and no sales pitch.

This has been my experience. I really hate the sales pitch which ruins the relaxing massage. Add that to the service being twice the price of what I can get at home, it's a no-go for me.

I let them know I am not buying products up front..I rarely get a sales pitch..I have all the prodcts I need..cheaper to buy online ..you get a discount, free samples and sometimes free shipping.

the Kerastase guy in the salon kept saying..and we have that right here..just politely ignored the hints!

I always do a massage and sometimes a facial.  For me, it's part of my cruise enjoyment.  I have the time on the ship to do them without feeling I have to "run" to something else.  On X, I'm usually spending OBC that I need to spend somewhere, so no out-of-pocket costs.  Quality varies . . . which is true on every ship and every line.

Recently on Reflection, my deep tissue massage was ok.  Not memorable as good or bad.  The facial was one of the best I've had -- really noticed the difference in my skin.  That has been the exception (for me) as facials usually aren't very good.  So you never know.

As comparison, I was on a luxury line last year and the deep tissue was actually a (bad) Swedish massage (yes, the massage therapist knew it was supposed to be deep tissue).  I complained (first time I've ever done so, but it was a terrible, terrible massage by any standards).  I was comped 2 absolutely fantastic massages (and I'm a tough critic).  Different therapist, completely different experiences.  

I agree that the product pitches suck; however, I believe they are under tremendous pressure to upsell.  I usually take the written material and say, "I'll consider it."  A couple of times I've purchased stuff (more on the massage side).  It's high quality but I end up not using it when I get home.  This time, she suggested some facial products that get good reviews on line.  The Amazon prices are the same as being offered on the ship, so if you're tempted and have OBC, it may be worth it.  I would "consider it" and check prices first.  

As for whether it's worth the money . . . you will spend more than in most locales in the US (though major cities / high end spas are VERY close in cost).  You don't know the therapist, so are taking your chances in terms of quality.  However, you may have lots of OBC, you may have extra time, this may be something that makes a cruise special for you . . . or not.  

If I have a lot of OBC, then only would I use the spa on board. 

Be prepared for a hard sell afterwards of  products used. I found even after a massage the therapist tried to sell me the massage oil lol. 

I said I’d first  have to see if I didn’t react to the product so would decide during the week.

Needless to say, I didn’t buy it. 

Hair products , shampoos etc, my standard answer is, I don’t wash my own hair at home as I have a standing appointment twice a week at the hair salon!

After facials,again I’d say , well I’d rather wait and ensure I don’t react before I purchase anything.

On Ascent, the hair stylist tried to convince me to see the Dr for a Liquid Face Lift ? I’m assuming they get paid a huge commission to sell products( or he thought I needed it!). Told him my son’s a Derm. so I don’t need to see anyone else. 

Be prepared  and firm with your response as there definitely will be a push to get you to purchase product. 

Not worth it for me - part of getting ready to travel is a massage and pedicure.  But always ruin my fingernails packing so have booked a manicure on board and was satisfied.  I did learn that the spa staff have sales goals they need to meet and assignment of clients is based on their rank among the therapists.