The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 7th, 2024

kazu

Good Morning!  The NS is at sea, arriving in Cozumel at 5pm.  My roommate is happy to see to interesting art classes on the Daily, a water color class and one on brush stroke lettering, much more interest than coloring for adults🤣 About half the chairs already have towels on them at the Seaview pool.  It’s going to be a relaxing sunny day.

Hope there is a ray of sunshine in your life today too.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone from a cool rainy Boston.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Thank you Mr. Bell for your invention that we can’t live without.  No name tags necessary here.  Not sure what to make of the quote.  The meal and drink suggestions sound very good.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list and please add my friend and prior colleague Lauren and her family, who has a recurrence of a very aggressive cancer and has begun hospice care.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! Happy Birthday to @RedneckBob🍾

Edited by Mr. Boston
Addition
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Cat Shepard’s DSis post emergency stomach surgery, slowly improving

RMLincoln’s DH Richard with an eye appointment today

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with a pinched nerve in the neck

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck post arterial surgery

Fires in the Texas panhandle and OK; snow in CA and CAN

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday RedneckBob!

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Morgan finding a safer place to live

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Rafinmd’s oncologist pleased with his PSA numbers

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

LAFFNVEGAS (Winstar Wind Surf to Mar 9) 7d Classic Caribbean, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Mtn2Sea (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, 0106 (Nieuw Statendam to Mar 17) 14d W/E Caribbean, w/BFF, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Ok, Sherlock “JV” Holmes, how did you find out it was my birthday?

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Three great days to celebrate.

The EE Cummings quote strikes me as a bit strange.  I have been to Walvis Bay in Numibia but not to Luderitz.

Two great days in history today but now about 99% of the phone calls I get are robocall hangups, and I rarely answer the phone unless there is a voicemail.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Broiled New York Striploin, and Raspberry and Almond Tart as served on MS Prinsendam March 7, 2019:

dishes07.jpg

Had a decent walk but the ground is still pretty saturated from recent rains.

Roy

• Like 29

Happy Thursday Morning Dailyites!  It's 52 degrees and sunny and we are supposed to have a beautiful day.  And then tonight the bottom falls out again, and back to rain.  Lots of rain.

On one hand, I do get sick of the gray skies and rain.  But I have to remember that water on this planet is finite.The water we have now, was the water we had a thousand years ago.  Evaporation does not go beyond our atmosphere.  This is why we really need to protect our atmosphere.  If that is destroyed, who knows where the moisture will go??  

The dermatologist was a new one for me.  Our favorite dermatologist moved back to TX during the time when Covid had shut down everything.  He was one of my favorite people, because he did listen when I spoke.  He got DH an oncologist.  He did emergency surgery on my leg when I got MRSA. But apparently his husband left him, and his mother wanted to move home, and  he was gone.  (He also was the one who warned me about Covid, before it was a real situation).

If he saw a skin tab he would immediately burn it off.  If he saw a new mole he would try to treat it immediately.

This doctor did not.  She took out some kind of magnifying glass that could see through the first layers of the skin.  Nothing serious she said.  All looked good for a person my age. There is a sign on the front desk that you can only have two problems at a time to discuss.  So I guess she wants to get paid a lot. Or often.  Apparently the only thing I suffer from is oily skin and dry skin depending on what part of my body we are talking about. No helpful hints to treat either.

The only bad part of the day was the DH forgot where I was going, and even though I told him I would bring back lunch, he ate lunch.  He didnt realize that I would be gone so long.  He seems to have a problem with time.  He forgets the amount of time of driving to a place, being at a place, and driving back from the place.  If an appointment is an hour, he figures I will be gone an hours. I have to remind him of what hours he can work, based on travel time.  Add at least two hours to the being gone. 

I apparently cant read a calendar as I emailed our friend who attends the Choral Concerts with us reminding her about the concert this Friday night, only to have her email me back, that the concert is next Friday.  Oops.

10661743fa90c1c5673c5c48e4882c94.jpg

fafc26943f44db234809e9fd06477b5a.jpg

Have a wonderful day every one!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

We stopped at Luderitz, Namibia, a year ago this month while on the Zuiderdam.  After going through immigration, we took a boat that went to Halifax Island, which is a small island that in the 1800’s had 400,000 African penguins, but today only has a few thousand.  Also on the island were, of all things, flamingos.  Although our boat stayed just a little offshore, it was hard to get good pictures since the penguins were pretty small compared to many of the other types of penguins.  For a portion of our trip, dolphins accompanied our boat.  We also saw a few Cape Fur Seals on the trip to Halifax Island.IMG_4810.thumb.jpeg.65442a8420bbf4feccb437477a8f40db.jpeg

IMG_4811.thumb.jpeg.cb05083a52379075183a335ad910f461.jpeg

IMG_4823.thumb.jpeg.36151463301e1e9788ead7c95b1619b9.jpeg

IMG_4809.thumb.jpeg.e1551e5521411a6bd35805436be61f27.jpeg

IMG_4824.thumb.jpeg.b2f582802db88ba71be75c4d2dbbcb2c.jpeg

IMG_4826.thumb.jpeg.34aefd6f7692372850d0adc7f4d4bbee.jpeg

IMG_4825.thumb.jpeg.256978466cb7fa00a5b092d45f0a3db6.jpeg

IMG_4818.thumb.jpeg.8b46d0a3954d87903d6e4a325dd035ea.jpeg

IMG_4812.thumb.jpeg.1531baa9ef181037a8f772005847a05f.jpeg

IMG_4813.thumb.jpeg.7b4280aca68f9e96890131fca863422b.jpeg

IMG_4817.thumb.jpeg.1b79b149592de18785fb718e50ec8944.jpeg

IMG_4815.jpeg

Edited by Mtn2Sea
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Seems the rain is mostly over, maybe a few lingering showers. Warnings are for flooding in low areas and near creeks… really? after an inch of rain overnight?  Seems quite pleasant around 50 today. A bit of blue sky always helps me. We’ll be heading to the eye doctor mid-day for a check on things…. seems stable now, I hope he’s not going to do anything dramatic, like cut the second stitch, but we’ll see what he says. Thanks for your continued support!  

The enchiladas sound so good!  I miss New Mexican cuisine. But we get fed a nice variety of foods here and it’s a luxury to go to our community dining rooms for daily dinners!  

I resonate with the e.e. cummings quote….  to me it’s a reminder to make the most of being alive!  I think everyone here does that by continuing to dream, to work towards making those dreams come true, and especially by helping each other here and all around us …. family, friends, strangers, the world. 

Cheers to all celebrating, Life is Good!🌈

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope.💐 Immediate prayers for Joy and Allen that something changes for the better quickly!  

Smooth travels for all away especially thinking of our many cruisers.🛳️ Bruce I’m sure you will have an Amazing rest of your cruise!  I hope Azamara will provide some enrichment presentations during your trip around Africa. Looking forward to hearing about it but first enjoy Cairns!  
Stay safe and well everyone, enjoy this day of living life!  Thanks for being here. 
Maureen 

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! Thankful to Mr. Bell for his invention, especially when I was a teenager!  No name tags around here, and it's so important to be heard.

It's cold out there again at -26C(-14), but there isn't a wind, so it won't be too bad.  The sky is clear and the sun is coming up which always makes even the coldest of days feel a little better.  Thank you for your prayers and concern for our friend Wayne; he was released from hospital yesterday afternoon.  His friend Fran picked him up and brought him home and he's feeling much, much better.  We spoke with him last night and are planning on getting together for lunch today after he hits Costco for the newly prescribed medications. 

@Seasick SailorI'm sorry to hear about Allen's pinched nerve; that is so painful!  He sounds like my DH who doesn't want to take pain meds - why, I have no idea.

@StLouisCruisersthank you for the updated photos of sweet Elliott Rose; she is a real beauty.

@RedneckBobHappy Birthday to you!

@aliaschiefI'd love those 34 sea days; glad you decided on that route.

@JazzyVYour cross stitch project is lovely - I hope you can find time to work on it again.

@Mr. BostonI will keep your colleague Lauren in my prayers, and hope for peace and pain free days.

I have to give a HUGE shout out, thank you and a million hugs to @57redbird.  Thanks to Pat I now have a good supply of meclizine - it arrived yesterday.  It's amazing what this community of people will do for each other, and I'm so grateful for the offers of assistance.   I told DH that it had arrived so now he just has to get his aortic valve replaced and we have to win the lottery so we can do a Grand World Cruise.  LOL  

Yesterday's foray out into the wild white yonder went very well, as the main streets had been plowed clean.  My dental appointment was good as I had a cleaning and check-up with no cavities again - I guess brushing and flossing have done their job.

If someone ordered the drink of the day, I'd take a teaspoon and try it, rather than ordering one and leaving it.  It's that bourbon that has me turned off.  I'd like the wine, and will pass on the menu suggestion as DH doesn't care for enchiladas.   I made a larger than I thought batch of baked spaghetti last night so we'll be having leftovers of that at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in turmoil.  Cheers to all with celebrations. 

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Once again thanks for the wishes; DeniseT, rafinmd, Kazu, thefish, marshhawk, ger_77, smitty#, JV, puppy…, cunnori, SLC, Mr. Boston and finally Moneypenny! Hope I got everyone to date. Oh no, forgot Graham!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte 

Rainy and 67 right now but clearing up with a high of 80 later in the day

Good selection of days

Strange quote 

I like chicken enchiladas but we have been striking out on Mexican food lately but we did break the streak with some very good chicken fajitas this past Tuesday night at our favorite Mexican restaurant 

I have one more address change today, spent most of yesterday hanging pictures and put together a new TV stand for the den. Also bought a new TV for the den, back in the day you just plugged in the TV and just like that you had your 5 stations, now you spend a half hour setting up and adding all kinds of info, oh well, it’s a different day and age.

Golf was rained out yesterday but tomorrow should be a good day for golf with sunny skies, 4 MPH winds with a temp of 80

Have a great day and stay well

To my fellow golfer. This is the quote on a birthday card I received my daughter.

”Tips for the Aging Golfer”

Keep your back straight, knees bent, feet shoulder-width apart, form a loose grip, keep your head down.

Now flush the urinal, go outside, and tee off!

• Like 5
  • Haha 21

For us today is take the dog to his groomer/boarding kennel, come home & pack to stay near SeaTac in prep for our 5 hour flight to Maui tomorrow for 2 weeks.  Cancelled last year since we had done the 35 day HAL cruise & we were vacationed out.  Hoping for sun & nice weather!

• Like 24

Good morning.  Lots of hijinks on the Daily today.  Wonder why?  Oh, it's RedNeck Bob's Birthday!  Happy Birthday RNB!

Nothing much going here today.  DD is dropping off her pommie.  I'm dog sitting while they do a moving party from their house in Los Angeles.  The relocation that never really happened.  Seems like all of last year was one big fiasco in a lot of ways.  I like this year much better.  😊

I'm glad your hand is feeling better @dfish.  

@Seasick Sailor, I'm sorry to see Allen has a pinched nerve in his neck.  That's such a painful spot.  I hope it resolves quickly.   

@kazu, I hear ya about the ouch on the x-ray table you had yesterday.  They moved me all around, too, and I was thinking, hey, guys, I'm here because my legs hurt.  Not sure whether to hope they find something on yours or that they don't.  Maybe just hope for a teeny tiny itty bitty hairline fracture that explains all and goes away on its own, right?  Thinking of you.

I do wish everyone a lovely day today.  We had very heavy rain last night.  It looks to be dry for awhile.  I hope it is, so I can get the two pommies outside on walks.  Pocket loves it when his cousin comes to visit.  Maybe they'll get a special Little Caesars dinner for a treat.  😉

Thanks all for the Daily!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Late for me today, I have been to the store and unloaded everything and started some work on dinner.  My DB is coming over for an 81st birthday dinner.  John is making asparagus soup, and we are having ribs and scalloped potatoes.  Cheesecake with raspberries for dessert.

Thanks for the Daily Reports and the maps Jacqui and Roy.  A very good quote.  I will pass on the cocktail and would try the wine once to see if it causes migraine but the enchiladas look wonderful.  Thank you for researching these for us @summer slope, @dfish and @cat shepard.  

Prayers for all on our care list and those in war zones, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.   No pain whatsoever with my are, just a lot of work to clean and bandage the area each day.   Have a lovely Thursday!  Nancy 

• Like 24