Ordering off-menu?

Hobar

if you can't find something you like on the main MDR menu or the vegetarian menu, including the "staples" of simple fish, steak, or chicken, then perhaps you might find something to your liking in the Pinnacle Grill or one if the other specialty restaurants, or the Lido. 

• Like 1

You can try, but no guarantees. If you asked for something on another night's menu, but not on the current menu, you might have a chance. But if they don't serve it, why would you expect them to have it?

Be prepared to tip generously. 

• Like 2

You can ask for the children's menu and order from that, but your meal won't be ready when the others are served. 
If you really want something in particular, you can ask for it the night before, but be ready for a LOT of food! I'm not making THAT mistake again! 

If there is an appetizer that strikes your fancy, you can order an entrée size portion for dinner (the reverse is also true---an entrée in an appetizer portion, for most of them). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hobar said:

May one order or request something that is not on the menu for dinner in the MDR or Orange Club restaurant?

I believe there is always salmon, a strip-steak, and maybe a chicken entree, -- that sometimes do not appear on the menu if there are so many other options it pushes the standards off in printing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found so long as I ask for something that is on the menu at some point, example Mon has asparagus and Tues green beans, when I eat on Mon & ask for green beans, there is not an issue just possibly a slight delay. If I ask for something that is on the menu same night but listed w/a different entree/meal, there is no issue. I do that frequently w/vegetables and potatoes.

I have not asked for something that is not on the menu at some time during the cruise, ie special request.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

You can try, but no guarantees. If you asked for something on another night's menu, but not on the current menu, you might have a chance. But if they don't serve it, why would you expect them to have it?

Be prepared to tip generously. 

This is my first tine on HAL so that is why I asked.  Your answer is not, unfortunately, what I was hoping to hear.  Oh well.  

I scan the menu and put together my meal, protein from one dish, vegetable from another and starch from another.  If it is on the menu you can order it, you do not have to take the entree as laid out on the menu.  It is not clear to me your level of expectation - a pork chop is not going to become a lobster tail😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

This is my first tine on HAL so that is why I asked.  Your answer is not, unfortunately, what I was hoping to hear.  Oh well.  

That level of special requests for off menu ordering is what you can find on luxury lines at a much higher fare.  Mainstream cruise lines like HAL, with a 2400 passenger capacity, are not generally prepared to accommodate those bespoke special orders.  I love Crystal Cruises, maybe try them next time.

As the others have stated, the staff on HAL will do what they can with what is available to try and please diners.  

I hope your group has a great time on HAL and I think you will with appropriate expectations!

~Nancy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Hobar

Can you give us a specific example? That might help us to give you a better answer.

However, if you are looking for Seabourn at the HAL price point, I doubt it will happen.

• Like 6

For Canaletto, if they have a special one night that you like and you are not going the night it is offered you can possibly have it on the night you go IF you request it (nicely) the day before.

We did that for the Osso Bucco that 2 of our party wanted.  I think they needed a minimum of 2 to order.  Now, it would be a non issue since Osso Bucco is on the menu.

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

That level of special requests for off menu ordering is what you can find on luxury lines at a much higher fare.  Mainstream cruise lines like HAL, with a 2400 passenger capacity, are not generally prepared to accommodate those bespoke special orders.  I love Crystal Cruises, maybe try them next time.

As the others have stated, the staff on HAL will do what they can with what is available to try and please diners.  

I hope your group has a great time on HAL and I think you will with appropriate expectations!

~Nancy

OP has been sailing mostly with Seabourn for the past many years, with a few Silversea thrown in... except of course for their first cruise.... on....

... the Staten Island Ferry. 😁

That would be our situation, too, many, many times...!

Next up was the ferry across Lake Michigan in 1962.

At least on that, one loses sight of land for a while. 😉 

And then my first "real cruise" in 1974, and life was never the same!

GC

• Like 3

If you can't find something to your liking in MDR, then your best bet would be to eat in the Lido where there is a much larger selection. The Chefs in the MDR and CO have a limited menu based on availability of ingredients and whipping up something special is asking for too much. CO does have one extra special entree every night not available in MDR for non-CO guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hobar said:

Curious how many restaurants on land you can order items not on the menu?

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

There are also some items that are always available, even though they may not be on the menu every night.  I know for a fact, since I often order it, that a fruit crisp is always available for dessert.  I believe french onion soup is always available, though it has been a few years since I ordered it when it wasn't on the menu.  I also believe a steak is available, but that is usually on the menu in some form every night.

Other than that, I would not expect to be able to order anything you want, other than mixing and matching from the stated meals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that it will vary from ship to ship and will depend on what you are asking for.  My DW loves escargot and we know that it will show up on a menu while cruising.  Last year we sailed on 2 different cruises on the Koningsdam and dined in CO for both.  DW asked for escargot on both cruises when it wasn't available on the menu and both times was told no.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I scan the menu and put together my meal, protein from one dish, vegetable from another and starch from another.  If it is on the menu you can order it, you do not have to take the entree as laid out on the menu.  It is not clear to me your level of expectation - a pork chop is not going to become a lobster tail😉

That’s all i wanted to know.  Thank you.  (Not a fan of lobster tails, but I do like a good pork chop.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

@Hobar

Can you give us a specific example? That might help us to give you a better answer.

However, if you are looking for Seabourn at the HAL price point, I doubt it will happen.

@Mary229 answered my question.  I don’t like fancy food with lots of sauces; I would rather have a plain chicken or steak and lots of veggies.  I did not want to be limited to the dishes as listed on the menu.  Not quite When Harry Met Sally, but not too far either 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

OP has been sailing mostly with Seabourn for the past many years, with a few Silversea thrown in... except of course for their first cruise.... on....

... the Staten Island Ferry. 😁

That would be our situation, too, many, many times...!

Next up was the ferry across Lake Michigan in 1962.

At least on that, one loses sight of land for a while. 😉 

And then my first "real cruise" in 1974, and life was never the same!

GC

It is true; life is never the same after your first cruise.  Our first cruise was on NCL actually, and I loved the concept of getting on, unpacking once, convenience of meals, and travelling around.  My mom introduced us to Seabourn and that was pretty much it.  Tried others (SilverSea, SeaDream) but truly love SB.  Now it’s my time to take my mother on a cruise.  Unfortunately, since she is mobility-limited, so too is our choice of embark and disembark ports. (SB has one out of California but it’s too long / too many sea days.). That said, my sister, who is also going with us, loves Azamara and gambling and lots of activities, so HAL seemed  a good fit. We are all so excited and looking forward to participating in as many activities as we can.  

• Like 4

My son wasn’t crazy about his first Caesar salad so the waiter asked if he wanted a different one. He asked for plain lettuce with ranch dressing and they brought that each time we ate in the MDR. My son is an adult so it’s not like they were pandering to a little boy ☺️. I have seen them be very accommodating, but haven’t seen anyone order anything too out of the ordinary. They will put sauces on the side, or not at all, if you ask. 

• Thanks 2

Since you do like vegetables, as we do, you will be happy to hear there is now a new menu item - vegetable of the day.   Since we both order them we are given a large bowl served family style for our table for 2

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

Maybe try Queen’s Grill on Cunard. 

My mother sailed QM or QE, can’t remember which, so thought about it, but way too large a ship for my liking.

Edited by Hobar