Ruby Princess-- awful guest relations crew. Help!

nwualum

This was our 15th cruise and our 2nd with Princess. We've been to all 50 states and 50 countries, so we are well traveled. This was by far our worst experience ever. We had horribly loud banging noises that were causing our door and walls to vibrate whenever the ship moved. These noises were happening hundreds of times per night and we could not sleep. We called guest services multiple times and even went there in person twice. Once someone came up to check on it and said he would get back to us. He never did. They kept telling us it was waves, even though we were on the 8th floor. Sure. Finally on the sixth night of a 10 night cruise, someone came up and then called up the night hotel manager because they knew it was a serious issue. She realized there was indeed a problem (not waves) and told us they would call engineering immediately and get them out of bed if necessary. They moved us to an inside cabin for two nights, even though my wife is claustrophobic. We had no choice as the sounds were deafening and constant when the ship moved. Finally on day 8 we were allowed to talk to someone from guest services who apologized. We told them we wanted to be refunded for the cruise. We were disappointed that it would have only taken one person to respond to us and correct the issue but they did not. We never did hear what the issue was. Princess' solution was to give us partial credit for a future cruise? Really? We never want to cruise with them again the way they treated us. They only offered $250 credit since they put us in a cheaper cabin for a couple of nights. We will never cruise princess again. Their response is a joke.  We've gone to their service team and my travel agent but they aren't even responding now.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

We had a similar problem once and went through to the chain of command because there was a banging noise in our room and it could not be located when the ship was moving.  To our embarrassment, we had discovered that someone had left a bottle of wine in a little cabinet in the suite prior to us and when the shipped moved it rolled a little and made the unusual noise

hitting the wall inside.

Everyone who checked our room only did it when the ship was docked so there was no noise and it was funny in the end when it was finally figured out.  However, up until that time it was annoying to say the least.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, nwualum said:

Princess' solution was to give us partial credit for a future cruise? Really? We never want to cruise with them again the way they treated us. They only offered $250 credit since they put us in a cheaper cabin for a couple of nights. We will never cruise princess again. ...  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

You've made up your mind as is your right.  So I'm not sure what sort of suggestion you are looking for.  Princess has made its decision as to what sort of compensation you are owed, and that is pushing you to the point of not wanting to sail with them again. And that's fine.  But this kind of reminds me of the old joke about the guy who said that the food at a restaurant he dined at was terrible, and then went on to complain about that the portions were too small.  Would it make a difference if the future cruise credit were doubled to $500?  Or tripled to $750?  If not, what sort of suggestion are you seeking?  Why would you want to bother their service team or your travel agent any further if any additional credit is just going to go unused?  Seems rather pointless to jump through hoops to get more credit on a cruise line that you aren't going to sail on.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Stateroom number E632.  I really doubt it was a wine bottle as it was deafening.  But you never know.  

And let me clarify JimmyVWine-- we do not want future cruise credits.  That makes us spend another few thousand dollars to save $1000.  No thanks.  We want our money refunded.  

2 minutes ago, nwualum said:

Stateroom number E632.  I really doubt it was a wine bottle as it was deafening.  But you never know.  

And let me clarify JimmyVWine-- we do not want future cruise credits.  That makes us spend another few thousand dollars to save $1000.  No thanks.  We want our money refunded.  

To be very honest, I would not hold my breath waiting to get your money refunded.  Cruiselines rarely refund the cost of a cruise due to onboard issues such as noise, but will instead offer FCC or OBC to be used on a future cruise.  Since you have told Princess that you will never sail with them again, they really have no incentive to give you anything other than what they’ve offered you.  Sorry your cruise was a disappointment.  

• Like 11

Some people are always looking for something for nothing. It’s like the people who visit New Orleans around Mardi Gras and complain because it was noisy and they couldn’t sleep.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

Some people are always looking for something for nothing. It’s like the people who visit New Orleans around Mardi Gras and complain because it was noisy and they couldn’t sleep.

Yes!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes!

Heck I went through a cruise right after 9/11 where we sailed through a full hurricane with 40 foot waves and an FBI search with dogs where we were pulled off the ship in our swimsuits for 2 hours. No complaining and this was before drink packages you should have seen my bar bill but complaints no

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Good luck with that refund. 

We had lots of noise on our cruise in January, creaking, banging, etc on Discovery Princess. Very rough seas. It's a ship - it's supposed to have some give, that's just how ships are. Same on Majestic when we were near a Typhoon, our balcony door was closed and locked and still the whistling wind was loud, along with banging outside. Both times we put our white noise app as loud as it would go, and went to sleep. Problem solved. 

If you are looking for quiet, stay in a hotel on land. 

Just not New Orleans... 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Heck I went through a cruise right after 9/11 where we sailed through a full hurricane with 40 foot waves and an FBI search with dogs where we were pulled off the ship in our swimsuits for 2 hours. No complaining and this was before drink packages you should have seen my bar bill but complaints no

I had to smile thinking of you quietly sitting at your favourite bar enjoying a few libations and just going with the flow.  Love it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I had to smile thinking of you quietly sitting at your favourite bar enjoying a few libations and just going with the flow.  Love it!

And playing black jack and eating in the MDR. It was on the older Sun Princess and windows were knocked out in passenger cabins. Quite the experience. Some people actually left the ship in Acapulco and this was a canal trip to Lauderdale 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nwualum said:

We told them we wanted to be refunded for the cruise.

Good luck with that.  At the end of the day, you still made use of the ship's amenities and accommodations for the duration of the cruise.  Wish Princess wasn't as stingy with the Future Cruise Credit, but I doubt you will be seeing a cash refund.  Cash refunds tend to only occur when there's something major that affects all passengers on a particular sailing.

• Like 4

This was our 15th cruise and our 2nd with Princess. We've been to all 50 states and 50 countries, so we are well traveled. This was by far our worst experience ever. We had horribly loud banging noises that were causing our door and walls to vibrate whenever the ship moved. These noises were happening hundreds of times per night and we could not sleep. We called guest services multiple times and even went there in person twice. Once someone came up to check on it and said he would get back to us. He never did. They kept telling us it was waves, even though we were on the 8th floor. Sure. Finally on the sixth night of a 10 night cruise, someone came up and then called up the night hotel manager because they knew it was a serious issue. She realized there was indeed a problem (not waves) and told us they would call engineering immediately and get them out of bed if necessary. They moved us to an inside cabin for two nights, even though my wife is claustrophobic. We had no choice as the sounds were deafening and constant when the ship moved. Finally on day 8 we were allowed to talk to someone from guest services who apologized. We told them we wanted to be refunded for the cruise. We were disappointed that it would have only taken one person to respond to us and correct the issue but they did not. We never did hear what the issue was. Princess' solution was to give us partial credit for a future cruise? Really? We never want to cruise with them again the way they treated us. They only offered $250 credit since they put us in a cheaper cabin for a couple of nights. We will never cruise princess again. Their response is a joke.  We've gone to their service team and my travel agent but they aren't even responding now.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Sorry you had such a horrible cruise. Not fun when you’re so excited about it. 

Princess is not going to refund you for the cruise, the way they see it is you got your meals, entertainment and ports even though you had a situation with your cabin. 

I say at this point just move on and enjoy booking your next cruise.  Princess is in your rear view mirror. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

For someone on their second Princess cruise, you managed to get one of two of the best OV cabins on Crown Class ships. Up to you, but we try for these cabins and you should feel lucky to have snagged one. What a view for little more than the price of an Inside! For other's viewing:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/gallery/image/12484-ruby-princess-cabin-e632-obstructed-view-los-arcos-cabo-san-lucas-on-new-years-eve-2018-mx-riviera-7-nt-12292018/

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

Sorry your experience was so bad with the noise.  If you were on deck 8, there may have been something loose with or around the lifeboats.  If it happens on any future cruise, (whatever line) I’d go all the way up the chain of command to get someone to correct it.

They really should have addressed this right away, that is not right.  Did you ever find out what it was?

If you’re not going to cruise with them again, there’s not much of a suggestion for you.  

If you want to post a complaint, you can do that on the website.  Look under..contact us and you’ll see the drop down menu to complain post cruise.

• Like 3

We have been in that same room on the Ruby and heard the same noise, as a matter of fact, but think your request for your money back is rather quite unreasonable.  
Just for the sake of sleep, we asked to be moved to another cabin, inside was ok with us and they did so, we were very happy after that in a nice quiet room.  It happens!  

But, even if we were not relocated, ships move, moving ships make noise,  We didn’t ask for any compensation as we realize the above comments and we were the ones that chose that cabin.  I really think a full refund is an unreasonble request.  I would just move on!  If you don’t like Princess, that’s ok!  If you don’t like cruising, that’s ok, too!  

• Like 11

I think the OP was really just fed up with the lack of response and sympathy from Guest Services.  I know I would have been.  They would be happy with a refund but as many have noted that is not going to happen.  There are many irritants in life and on cruises and each of us responds to them differently and in our own way. Just because some of us may not agree does not mean that the OP is wrong in not wanting to sail with Princess again.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, that said:

@mtnesterz Confused by your post.

OP stated  E 632 on Ruby Princess

Yes, E632 is on the Ruby, which along with the Emerald and Crown make up the Crown Class, so cabins with that number have the same views, IIRC.

As to my meaning, I don't want to be critical, rather to encourage to appreciate something good that they had. Most Obstructed Views look at the side of a tender, or between two of them. That's a great view they got for the same price.

Ships move, they're machines and make noise when cutting through the water and things clank around on the steel parts of the ship.

Anyone who cruises a lot knows little things can go awry on a cruise. You have to roll with it, to some extent. You look for the good. That was my intention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to respond to those of you who say we want something for nothing.  This was not a  hurricane or something out of their control.  This was totally something that should have been responded to immediately and they failed to do so.

I am not exaggerating-- these booming noises were occurring several hundred times for the first six nights, sometimes as often as three of them in a five second span.  Every time we would about dose off to sleep they would start up.  They were loud enough they would shake our door and wall.  We were walking zombies throughout the excursion, and no one bothered to check it out until night #6.  Once they did and found it, they profusely apologized for what they put us through.  This was not some ordinary noise or issue.  Again,we've been on 16 cruises and no cruise is perfect.  This was a completely different matter and completely within their control.  I'm going to put it behind me but was looking for advice, not condemnation.  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

FWIW.  Last August, on the Ruby, we had a problem with our TA's gifted gratuities.  On board guest services were professional and friendly. They went above and beyond, calling my TA to help with the eventual resolution of my problem.  Cheers 

Edited by Bemidji Ty
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, nwualum said:

I want to respond to those of you who say we want something for nothing.  This was not a  hurricane or something out of their control.  This was totally something that should have been responded to immediately and they failed to do so.

I am not exaggerating-- these booming noises were occurring several hundred times for the first six nights, sometimes as often as three of them in a five second span.  Every time we would about dose off to sleep they would start up.  They were loud enough they would shake our door and wall.  We were walking zombies throughout the excursion, and no one bothered to check it out until night #6.  Once they did and found it, they profusely apologized for what they put us through.  This was not some ordinary noise or issue.  Again,we've been on 16 cruises and no cruise is perfect.  This was a completely different matter and completely within their control.  I'm going to put it behind me but was looking for advice, not condemnation.  

I've heard stories of people going to Guest Services in their PJ's and not leaving until something was done.  I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  

• Like 1

Years ago, on a different cruiseline, we had the same kind of problem.

When I went down to guest services to complain...they calmly said...ship noises     :O)

We had overnight noise one night on a cruise, it was off and on, so not terrible,  but I went down to guest serviced to ask them to look into what was causing it.

They did, and found that our cabin had a pipe running down beside it that was a drain line for the pool.  They told the attendants not to drain it after 10pm and it was fine.

In your scenario, I would have not waited days to complain and would have been knocking on the bridge and discussing it with the captain if they did nothing immediately to fix it.

• Like 1