Missing Passenger from Icon of the Seas (Cozumel)

Posted (edited)

Didn't see this posted anywhere... feel free to merge if it's already being discussed

https://nypost.com/2024/04/07/us-news/royal-caribbean-passenger-edmond-solomon-missing-in-mexico-vacation

An American cruise passenger, who was recently diagnosed with dementia, vanished while he was on vacation with his family in Mexico

Edmond Bradley Solomon III, a 66-year-old South Carolina resident, had taken the trip down to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean’s Icon of the Seas and had planned to spend the day at port in Cozumel, Mexico, according to WCBD-TV.

The former VA critical care nurse had disappeared minutes after getting off the ship at the Caribbean port last week.

Solomon and his wife Mimi disembarked from the ship around 1:30 p.m. on April 3 and stopped for a restroom break before leaving the terminal when the nightmare unfolded.

“When my stepmom, Mimi, came out, he wasn’t there,” Miller said. “She thought he might still be in the bathroom so she waited for him for a few minutes. He didn’t come out.”

A family member with the couple had gone into the bathroom to check on Solomon but discovered he wasn’t there.

Edited by Lane Hog

What's surprising is he's been missing since April 3rd - that's four days ago. Cozumel is a small island and Americans stick out like sore thumbs. He apparently had no money on him and gave a taxi driver a watch for payment.....doesn't look like he could have gone very far.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

What's surprising is he's been missing since April 3rd - that's four days ago. Cozumel is a small island and Americans stick out like sore thumbs. He apparently had no money on him and gave a taxi driver a watch for payment.....doesn't look like he could have gone very far.

All of the above is not encouraging for a positive outcome.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Personally, I don’t see the reason for posting that in CC. I hope the poor man is found safe. 

I think it is very appropriate to CC. In light of recent activity in Cozumel, you would be crazy to get off the ship at this port in my opinion. With all the posters on this site who were worried about going to Labadee when there is currently no verified threat there, it is highly likely these seem people would not get off a ship at Cozumel with the current incidents happening there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think it is very appropriate to CC. In light of recent activity in Cozumel, you would be crazy to get off the ship at this port in my opinion. With all the posters on this site who were worried about going to Labadee when there is currently no verified threat there, it is highly likely these seem people would not get off a ship at Cozumel with the current incidents happening there. 

Jeepers!  I thought the poor fellow has Alzheimer's and wandered off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was referring to the recent shootings in Cozumel. 

I hadn't heard of that, that's one of my favorite ports. Very sad about the missing gentleman. 

• Like 2

I heard he had a GPS tag on him. I wonder why he hasn't been tracked down unless the GPS was the watch and perhaps how they found the taxi driver? The story that he wanted to be dropped off at a random beach and give him the watch as payment seems pretty odd even if you have dementia.

15 minutes ago, Joseph U. said:

I heard he had a GPS tag on him. I wonder why he hasn't been tracked down unless the GPS was the watch and perhaps how they found the taxi driver? The story that he wanted to be dropped off at a random beach and give him the watch as payment seems pretty odd even if you have dementia.

The GPS device is a necklace.

This guy, despite his illness, apparently was pretty lucid in where he wanted to go and how he was going to get there. Kind of makes you wonder...

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Plenty of shootings in US home ports.  

Disappointing to see some of the mainland violence occur on Cozumel without a doubt, but they appear to be targeted.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It’s a wake up call for those who insist on traveling with a family member with dementia.  EM

When I first read about this story a few days back on the BOOK, that is the first thing I thought. Why in the world are people taking family members with dementia out of the country??? 

• Like 2

Actually, this is a perfect forum to post this information. Cruise passengers stopping in Cozumel last week and this week, can be aware of the situation, and be on the alert for the man.  

It takes a village, people...................................

• Like 17

19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was referring to the recent shootings in Cozumel. 

Nassau seems to have a similar problem from what I've been reading. If I remember correctly, years ago St. Croix had an issue and when tourist income dropped off enough the island cleaned up its act.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Which is apropos of nothing to do with the thread topic.

How do you know? Other than that the man is missing are you privy to some other facts?

I appreciate the post that you question. I haven't been to Cozumel in years and I thought it seemed quite safe when I was there. I now know better and would be more vigilant should I find myself back there any time soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rrraydon said:

When I first read about this story a few days back on the BOOK, that is the first thing I thought. Why in the world are people taking family members with dementia out of the country??? 

In fact, changing the environment of someone with dementia can really destabilize them. Taking them to a foreign country where nothing is familiar to them certainly has its risks.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

In fact, changing the environment of someone with dementia can really destabilize them. Taking them to a foreign country where nothing is familiar to them certainly has its risks.

Exactly.

My thought was: I wouldn't even take my family member out of the state. Then it was: actually, not even out of our town....for the very reason you mentioned.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Exactly.

My thought was: I wouldn't even take my family member out of the state. Then it was: actually, not even out of our town....for the very reason you mentioned.

I've seen people with dementia who manage pretty well at home and for some reason end up having to be hospitalized completely decompensate. Change of familiar environment is no joke for folks with dementia.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Don't be ridiculous.  Of course I don't know what actually may have happened but the original thread line and story is clearly focused on the likelihood that the man wandered off and linked it to developing dementia.  Try to concentrate.

I'll concentrate when you provide some facts.

• Thanks 1