VERY poor customer service on the phone by Princess

ddled

Posted (edited)

I assume a call centre in the Philippines can have well trained staff, just as well as a call centre in the US or Europe can have incredibly poorly trained staff - either way you have to put the effort in to train people properly and reward them properly to retain them. 

I think it's a bit of a red herring in the conversation that it's easier to do x or y via the website or by waiting until you get onboard - assume it's a different issue - some people will always want to contact the company.  If the app is poor, and the chat bot is poor, and the call centre is poor, there are going to be frustrated people. 

I'd definitely endorse the route of complaining directly - but I think these kind of threads must do harm too.  If I was thinking of going on a Princess cruise (first one very soon and I'm excited!) and I came on here to get a sense of what to expect, I'd very quickly be looking to see what my other options are.  Luckily there's lots of very happy people on here too, posting great things, but complacency is never good!  It's a "service" industry - if Princess is associated with poor service before you even get onboard then that's a poor starting position with potential customers who don't know everything yet. 

Edited by p.pete
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I assume a call centre in the Philippines can have well trained staff, just as well as a call centre in the US or Europe can have incredibly poorly trained staff - either way you have to put the effort in to train people properly and reward them properly to retain them. 

I think it's a bit of a red herring in the conversation that it's easier to do x or y via the website or by waiting until you get onboard - assume it's a different issue - some people will always want to contact the company.  If the app is poor, and the chat bot is poor, and the call centre is poor, there are going to be frustrated people. 

I'd definitely endorse the route of complaining directly - but I think these kind of threads must do harm too.  If I was thinking of going on a Princess cruise (first one very soon and I'm excited!) and I came on here to get a sense of what to expect, I'd very quickly be looking to see what my other options are.  Luckily there's lots of very happy people on here too, posting great things, but complacency is never good!  It's a "service" industry - if Princess is associated with poor service before you even get onboard then that's a poor starting position with potential customers who don't know everything yet. 

yes, I agree.  All over the Alaska forum everyone says you have to go Princess or HAL for Glacier bay.  I don't agree with that but a lot of people are going to listen to that.  And then if they see what all this hassle seasoned cruisers have with customer service (or they do), they may change their mind.  

I have been on a couple of cruises with Princess so I kept my cruise in Alaska even though Princess customer service was nothing like I experienced before EVER.  All cruise lines have issues with customer service but they can typically be resolved with a supervisor with a low level of frustration.

I will try to send my issues that I had with customer service to some onshore staff (who would that be?)  since this is really hurting their brand especially when it took me numerous calls for them to honor the original terms and conditions so I could get my deposit back and I gave up on my other issue. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Reading this and other threads in the past many months, it seems the overseas call center is even worse than when it began.  I wonder if the deterioration is tied to them being given more things to handle, coupled with language barriers and inexperience?

It seems only expert guests who know the rules, ins and outs, exactly what they want, etc, can have reasonable success with call center.

Actually expert guests generally avoid the call center at all costs.  If the APP fails to do what we need, we will work via the website or use a CVP or TA. 
As to the medallion, pickup at the port may add a few minutes and it is not worth spending frustration time on the phone .

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

Actually expert guests generally avoid the call center at all costs.  If the APP fails to do what we need, we will work via the website or use a CVP or TA. 
As to the medallion, pickup at the port may add a few minutes and it is not worth spending frustration time on the phone .

Completely agree.  My TA lives in Ohio and grew up in the South.

Spending hours dealing with the medallion?  Do not understand playing Don Quixote trying to get it compared to a wait of usually a minute or two and doomsday scenario of 30 minutes.

Same with dinner reservations. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Reading this and other threads in the past many months, it seems the overseas call center is even worse than when it began.  I wonder if the deterioration is tied to them being given more things to handle, coupled with language barriers and inexperience?

It seems only expert guests who know the rules, ins and outs, exactly what they want, etc, can have reasonable success with call center.

And the "expert guests" are the one who probably least need to depend on the Princess call center for the proper information.

Why don't people just use TAs and let them deal with Princess on the phone? What kind of "control" is it to deal with totally incompetent and often not understandable cruise line phone representatives?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, p.pete said:

If I was thinking of going on a Princess cruise (first one very soon and I'm excited!) and I came on here to get a sense of what to expect, I'd very quickly be looking to see what my other options are.  Luckily there's lots of very happy people on here too, posting great things

Also, if you go to the boards of other cruise lines, you see a lot of the same complaints.

54 minutes ago, wheezedr said:

You don't even have to be an expert. Just read here and learn from other people's experiences. 🙂 

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Why don't people just use TAs and let them deal with Princess on the phone? What kind of "control" is it to deal with totally incompetent and often not understandable cruise line phone representatives?

Because finding a good TA is not straightforward and a bad one can be worse than none at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And the "expert guests" are the one who probably least need to depend on the Princess call center for the proper information.

I don't need Princess for information.  I might need someone there to do something for me I cannot do myself.  That still requires some level of understanding and job function on their end to execute and deliver.  And requires some expertise on my end (in some cases) to ensure it is being done right.  This is tough situation for newbies and read their tales of woe on here often.

As far as TA's go, I'd venture that most of them know less about PCL than I do.  Speaks to the challenge of getting a good one that is knowledgeable and thorough.  OTOH, I just don't see it as a TA job responsibility to call up PCL and book dining for a client - as an example.  So, a TA Isn't the answer for everything.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

How arrogant!

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Your assumption is that all TA's know how to do things with Princess better than the customer service people. From past experience that is a huge false hood. Trying to find a knowledgeable TA who knows cruise lines is a frustration into itself. How many times have people posted here describing how their TA messed them up. Look at the recent event in Florida where a group of cruisers were denied boarding as their TA left on the cruise ship.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Your assumption is that all TA's know how to do things with Princess better than the customer service people. From past experience that is a huge false hood. Trying to find a knowledgeable TA who knows cruise lines is a frustration into itself. How many times have people posted here describing how their TA messed them up. Look at the recent event in Florida where a group of cruisers were denied boarding as their TA left on the cruise ship.

My point was instead of you being on the phone and frustrated with the service, let the TA deal with them. And many of them have their own private contact within the cruise line. I don't know if ours still does, but he did the last time we sailed on Princess and were getting contradictory information from their phone representatives.

The discussion is all about perception.
I am elite on Princess and have always booked on line and used call center until this year. My frustration level has been through the roof trying to get the things done that you can no long do on website. (Example add Transfers to a booking). Spent 40 minutes on phone trying to add transfers which is or should be simple. You use to be able to do this as an excursion on the web site but now must call. I guess so they can give you the sales pitch but I may be cynical. 
Thanks to a posting on this site I decided to give a CVP a try. First I used Website to ask for one, long story short after three times and a month no call, no email, nothing. I found the number for the CVP line on another post and called. I was told a CVP was assigned to me so left a message. Two weeks later, nothing so called back CVP line and talk to a nice gentleman who spoke perfect English who took care of my issues with the 7 cruises I have booked in less than 30 minutes. He is now my CVP. Yeah. I will not be calling customer service line again. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, AZaTaz said:

My frustration level has been through the roof trying to get the things done that you can no long do on website. (Example add Transfers to a booking). Spent 40 minutes on phone trying to add transfers which is or should be simple. You use to be able to do this as an excursion on the web site but now must call. 

Your comments gave me pause so I just logged into my Personalizer and I am able to book my own transfers online just like always under the Flights & Transfers tab.  I clipped the screen shot because I don't want our names on here, but everything looks just like it has in the past.  Did you book direct?  I know if you book with a TA then they have to book the transfers.  

Screenshot 2024-04-25 6.12.58 PM.png

Edited by Paula_MacFan

Posted (edited)

I booked direct never used TA after a bad one many years ago.

When I click on the transfers as your screen shot shows it said no transfers and did not give me options to add.

Now mine show up after CVP added them but while I can see them I have no option to delete.

I may be doing something wrong would not be first time. When you click on them you have options to add or delete?

I just checked still no options just pop up box saying what is there n

Edited by AZaTaz

And if it sounds like I am irritated, I am.

I actually have a TA for this cruise-the only line I use one, there has been a change at the agency and I thought I would just do this little thing myself. The advice to just get this medallion at the pier is always my usual practice, but I just got stubborn and decided to challenge their publicity about how great the app is. We have used it on board, and it was great. But. what I really objected to was the attitude of the call center agent.  Really get tired of people assuming that because I am 73 I am stupid and have to be talked down to. Or that I don't recognize a sales pitch, or excuses etc. I tested Princess publicity and they failed. Big surprise!

19 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Also, if you go to the boards of other cruise lines, you see a lot of the same complaints.

You don't even have to be an expert. Just read here and learn from other people's experiences. 🙂 

Because finding a good TA is not straightforward and a bad one can be worse than none at all.

Amen. I tried a TA that was “highly “ recommended. What a disaster, paid way too much because of it among other issues.  Never again. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 8:28 PM, ddled said:

The app would not, for 2 weeks at least, allow me to get my medallion sent to me to cut some of the embarkation time.  The call took 40 minutes!

wow. A 40 minute call to save 2 minutes at embarkation for medallion pickup.

• Haha 1

Misinformation is a regular occurrence with Princess CS - both on the phone and chat.

Every once in while you do stand a reasonable chance that you will get a knowledgeable agent whom will correctly address your issue, but it's a crap shoot. In fairness, it must be difficult for the agents - many whom are not native English speakers - to keep up with the ever-changing Princess directives and programs.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 5:28 PM, ddled said:

We are on Princess in June on an Alaska cruise/land package, on Royal. The app would not, for 2 weeks at least, allow me to get my medallion sent to me. Couldn't load it said. Everything else worked. So I called Princess to get it sent before we sail so as to cut some of the embarkation time. Got some rep, and if that is indicative of their customer service, shame on them. I had to literally yell at him to stop his sale pitch to me-excursions, dinners, premium package, wifi, special occasions, and on and on. We are Platinum on Princess, and any moron can see what there is to buy on the website. The call took 40 minutes! I asked for a supervisor and he refused to connect me. We have cruised 32 times, and I have never had this kind of treatment. All I wanted was for them to send me the 2 medallions so I could have them before we sailed. When he finally got it done the delivery date is 6 weeks! He told me there must be something wrong with my phone.  He said their computers were running bad. Said they were having problems with the app. I don't have any cruises booked with Princess right now-I may not do them again. Have liked their product,  but when I spend thousands of dollars with them I expect a rep on the phone to do what I ask for.I realize that he probably gets a cut for any thing he sells, and their ships are full and they can do anything they want to do to us, but it does not mean I have to like it!!!

If you had picked it up at the dock it would have added maybe 2 - 3 minutes to your embarkation time.  Why did you bother to wait on line.

DON

• Like 1

I had a medallion order issue.  Too long to go into details.  Called 3 times.  First two times, got the same agent.  Second call:  "Please may I speak to a supervisor" fell on deaf ears.  He never could resolve the issue.

Third time was a charm.  Foreign agent.  Same spiel...."May I speak.."  He assured me that he could handle my problem.  I begged.  He asked me to allow him to try.  He was able to order my medallions.  I asked him how long he has been with Princess.  He said 1 year, but that wasn't the reason he could fix it.  He knew of the problem and knew what to do.  

In all fairness, there are some (few) who are knowledgable.  The key is to know what you want (know more than them), and don't leave without confirmation that NOTHING else was tampered with/cancelled.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If you had picked it up at the dock it would have added maybe 2 - 3 minutes to your embarkation time.  Why did you bother to wait on line.

DON

I know that-it was just a challenge to see if their system was what they claim.  I have never had it sent, will never again, but get tired of all the promotion of the app as a time saving strategy. I arrange cruises for other people on a volunteer basis, and it helps to have some personal experience. Having said that, the irritation for their incompetence is real, and they failed the test. I sent an email to the head  of their customer relations-want to bet about me getting a reply?  They constantly advocate doing this through the app, says it saves time. Always like to have concrete proof about a company that I deal with.

On 4/26/2024 at 12:32 PM, ddled said:

I know that-it was just a challenge to see if their system was what they claim.  I have never had it sent, will never again, but get tired of all the promotion of the app as a time saving strategy. I arrange cruises for other people on a volunteer basis, and it helps to have some personal experience. Having said that, the irritation for their incompetence is real, and they failed the test. I sent an email to the head  of their customer relations-want to bet about me getting a reply?  They constantly advocate doing this through the app, says it saves time. Always like to have concrete proof about a company that I deal with.

Let me make sure that I understand.  This whole thread is basically about a fake booking that you did tot test Princess' customer service just in case you actually decided to book w them  Do I have it right.  That was a waste of time who thought that you were serious and tried to help you.

I apologize if my description of your post is not correct. If it is correct you owe the rest of us an apology.

DON

• Like 2