Legend of the Seas (3rd Icon class ship)

18 hours ago, BillOh said:

I forget was the old Legend a Soverign, or Vision class?

Vision class.  There were six of them.  Legend was one of the first to go...sadly.  Loved them all.  Happy to be back on Enchantment (fondly called "enstretchment) in a few months.  🙂 

18 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Sovereign was our first cruise❤️

Same. First Mega-Size Cruise Ship and at time Worlds Largest Cruise Ship. Was on Sovereign 36+ yrs ago, looking down on those tiny 10-20K GT Carnival, NCL and Princess "Love Boat" size ships

• Like 3

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Vision class.  There were six of them.  Legend was one of the first to go...sadly.  Loved them all.  Happy to be back on Enchantment (fondly called "enstretchment) in a few months.  🙂 

I've enjoyed enchanment,   I guess the numbers didn't work out for them to stretch more of this class.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Same. First Mega-Size Cruise Ship and at time Worlds Largest Cruise Ship. Was on Sovereign 36+ yrs ago, looking down on those tiny 10-20K GT Carnival, NCL and Princess "Love Boat" size ships

We were on the original “Love Boat”, the Pacific Princess in its last year before being sold. Did 7 night NY to Bermuda…..it was the best cruise we’ve ever taken, and not because we were able to get all the way in to St George and Hamilton. It was because of the vibe on the ship and only 680 guests, we were like one big family! And the food was amazing! But that was many years ago. Very good times we had.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We were on the original “Love Boat”, the Pacific Princess in its last year before being sold. Did 7 night NY to Bermuda…..it was the best cruise we’ve ever taken, and not because we were able to get all the way in to St George and Hamilton. It was because of the vibe on the ship and only 680 guests, we were like one big family! And the food was amazing! But that was many years ago. Very good times we had.

Wish I'd been on more the old Classic smaller Ships, were too expensive back in the 80's living on my US Army pay. Irony is what I pay now for 14-16nite Radiance Class Panama Canal Cruise in a Balcony Cabin is still cheaper then in 1980's on Sovereign doing a 7nite in an OV Cabin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

I've enjoyed enchanment,   I guess the numbers didn't work out for them to stretch more of this class.

Yup...it was a case of "ooops...don't need to do that again".  😉 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Even Jason Liberty isn’t that much of a penny pincher where cost of the name was a factor on its use. 

I don’t know..  Maybe Jason found a big box of plastic keychains in the store room with Legend stamped on them and figured if he named a new ship Legend he could get some ROI out of them…

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Legend and Rhapsody are the only Vision Class ships I did not sail. When Legend came out she was called the ship of lights- and she was, as I saw when looking at the pictuers. .

As all Vision Class of ships were- and are still. Grandeur beeing my first BIG ship in 1996 got me hooked.

So many wonderful views out to the sea. That is gone with the new RCI ships. My biggest was the then biggest ship in the World- Voyger of the Seas.

To many lounges indoors...!

Then I switched to Celebrity - returning to RCI when they brought out  the Radiance Class- also ships with many glas used - wonderful class of ships.

Why should they not reuse their former ships names. Cunard operates the third Queen Elisabeth currently and the second Queen Mary... !

Edited by Germancruiser

Interesting that people enjoy companies reusing ship names...

But would people go on a cruise if the ship was named after a disaster?

Such as Titanic, concordia? 

Or like i feel, they should not be reused and left a memorial name. 

Fortunate to have sailed aboard (the original) Legend of the Seas when it repositioned from Australia to Hong Kong in 2016.

As for reusing retired ship names for new builds... that could make for confusing discussions among past cruisers!  E.g. 'How was the Legend's ice show?', 'Uhh... what ice show?' 😆

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:59 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

My friend took that same cruise many years ago out of NY.  She too said it was the best cruise for the same reasons you gave.

My first RCI cruise was on Majesty which I thought was HUGE but then approx 30 years ago it was!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

Mine too ❤️ in 1998.

Sovereign was our first rccl ship in 1988 , also got engaged on her in 1990, but did honeymoon on SS Norway in 1991.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Reusing Legend as the final Oasis ship would actually be quite symbolic. The last in the class that redefined what cruise ship design is all about.

Way to far in advance for Oasis 7.  It will be for Icon 3.  Name ties in nicely with Icon and Star.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Way to far in advance for Oasis 7.  It will be for Icon 3.  Name ties in nicely with Icon and Star.

They already assigned ship code "LE" to Oasis 7. They assigned "TR" to Icon 3.

When you log into your account, all the ship info (for the entire RC Group) is loaded in the background.

Oasis 7 was there many months before they announced it, too.

Also, the ship code for Star, "ST", was there long before they announced that name.

Edited by smokeybandit

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 12:16 PM, lovesthebeach2 said:

We were on Legend to Hawaii back in 2004….. it was our first long cruise (11 nights) and we went with a large group from our neighborhood….. loved that cruise!

We did the same in August 2014, she was still sailing then. 

Boarding Day.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

In this thread back in January, there was a list of registered names. At that time, there was an good argument for "Idol of the Seas", but obviously that doesn't work with "TR".

It did correctly call that a new ship would reuse Legend.

Once there is solid information, it should be posted here:

Just now, RobInMN said:

In this thread back in January, there was a list of registered names. At that time, there was an good argument for "Idol of the Seas", but obviously that doesn't work with "TR".

I agree with @smokeybandit, in that TR would suggest "Intrigue" 

It did correctly call that a new ship would reuse Legend.

Once there is solid information, it should be posted here: